• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

hi and help please

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Re: hi and help please

Postby whitebeard » November 13th, 2015, 7:56 pm

It is easy to make quests harder. Do any of the following:
-Just take away equipment (robbed in the middle of the night) half of all artefacts are missing and every other weapon costing over 400 gold is gone.
-illusion tricks you into attacking stone... roll one red die to see if weapon breaks.
-give monsters with RUST spells to counter wealth (too much gold).
-Use an invincible monster such as a cursed spirit that reappears where it was defeated one turn later.
-The emperor requests that you return several artefacts to his vaults...
-Plague quest, causes heroes to deplete their supply of healing spells and potions (they need to heal others in the dungeon / trade them for information)
-Kill all of the heroes. Once they have no equipment, the game can be impossible!

Really the biggest factor in quests being easy is the carry-over of healing potions from quest to quest. You could simply take some / all away stating that there were overland encounters causing them to be used.

The other factor is the lame "lining up in the doorways and waiting for the monsters." This is effectively countered by monsters with range weapons (even picking up rocks), monsters that open doors, two doors to the same room, and time based events... take to long to clear a room and monsters appear from behind and attack.

Other than adults over-thinking the game play with a predictable crawl mechanic, the game IS for adults. So I really don't get the question. Frankly I think "levelling up" is an out for lack of imagination. The unaltered game is about as close to perfect as you can get.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby clmckay » November 13th, 2015, 8:38 pm

I tend to agree with you Whiebeard. I don't like leveling either. I do like the colored dice though! When used appropriately they can add a certain "specialness" to select monsters, weapons, armor. Just to give a hero (or Zargon) that one truly special item to make this hero feel different.

Outside of that, I love your ideas above. They are all perfect ways to deal with power creep. I would though actually play an over world encounter where the heroes have to use items or have a logical reason to give up or lose an artifact. I think just saying its lost or stolen without actually playing it is a tad harsh - at least if the same heroes are used. It's so easy to use a little imagination - Zargon and the Heroes - and have your characters show progression. I added a few outside things to help enhance this (hopefully). We have side quests, very easy goals given to the Heroes during encounters, that they track and get something when it's completed. Generally if the variety "I'm a jeweler and I need a beautiful red ruby. Find me one and ill give you xxxxxxx". Adds a touch of spice and things that each hero keeps an eye out for.

Sounds a tad stupid typed out, but it actually seems to work.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 14th, 2015, 2:57 am

The colored dice are great for inventing houserules. If you let the monsters defend with blue dice it is harder, in fact it is the same if you let them defend on white dice, white shields.

Both the Witch Lord and Kells keep get triggered by the base quest book and both invent some new rules, traps mainly.

Kellar's Keep is a lot harder than the Witch Lord. Apparently the Witch Lord :skeleton: :zombie: :mummy: is also more fun to play as there is a new thing each Quest, and that is making it interesting. I never tried.

Kellar's Keep :goblin: :orc: :fimir: has a lot more potential in the Storyline, but sadly they didn't really make something of it. OK. That's just my opinion, of course. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 15th, 2015, 7:13 am

I suggest adding the Evil Wizard Deck, from the cards page. There are a lot to be found here ;)

(PS: leave out the "map" card, it doesn't work well)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Lobby