• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby AerynB » Saturday September 12th, 2009 10:04pm

*laughs* Will try hard to keep the "Chris O'Donnell/Michael Weatherly/Michael Shanks/Ben Browder/(insert other hot actor) is dreamy" comments to a minimum. ;) But can't promise.

So Heroes 1 is good and then afterward beware. *nods* gotcha. I do remember being really impressed with the first few eps as well as being a teeny bit put off by some of the gore. But I really don't know why I didn't stick with it. Maybe it competed with Stargate for my attention, *shrugs* who knows. I'll give it another shot.

House, huh? Dave really likes House, he thinks the guy is an egomaniac or something but really loves how sarcastic he is...I've never really gotten into it, but some of the mysteries are kinda cool. I probably should really like Bones, since the lead actor is kinda cute :lol: but for some reason I never really got into it. Like other shows, I've caught a few reruns, and it does look like a show I would like, plenty of unresolved sexual tension between the leads and all that, good sense of humor probably, plenty of twisting mysteries. Sounds like it should be up my alley, but like you, I'd feel like I'd just have to watch it from the beginning, and it just seems like too much right now, especially if I want to catch up on Heroes and have any other kind of a life away from my television set. :lol:

Hopefully House and Bones will continue to entertain you. Three cheers for all the upcoming premieres. :)


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Friday September 11th, 2009 6:23pm
Location: Missouri
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby drathe » Saturday September 12th, 2009 10:45pm

AerynB wrote:I probably should really like Bones, since the lead actor is kinda cute :lol:


Yes, she certainly is! :D But I believe you're talking about David Boreanaz, not Emily Deschanel. In which case, he's kind of a hunk too. ;) The mysteries are enthralling, but it is the characters and their relationships that keep me coming back for more. You're correct, definitely a show best experienced from the beginning.

I got into House because my little sister said "You have to watch this show. The main character reminds me of you. He's intelligent, manipulative and a massive jerk!" :shock: Brought a tear to my eye I tells ya!

Certainly can't wait for the premieres. So many cliff-hangers... my tookus is sore from being on the edge of my seat the whole summer.
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 2935
Images: 103
Joined: Saturday August 16th, 2008 2:55pm
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby AerynB » Saturday September 12th, 2009 11:11pm

drathe wrote:
AerynB wrote:I probably should really like Bones, since the lead actor is kinda cute :lol:


Yes, she certainly is! :D But I believe you're talking about David Boreanaz, not Emily Deschanel. In which case, he's kind of a hunk too. ;)


:lol: *can't stop laughing* I suppose I deserved that one, but it's good to know the people around here have a sense of humor. :)

Aww... you're a massive jerk? I haven't gotten that impression so far. I can't imagine what your sister was talking about. ;) Hmm...but I get the feeling you might actually like Stargate:Atlantis more than SG-1. There's a character on Atlantis who's also quite intelligent, more self-centered than manipulative, and therefore only sometimes a massive jerk....he's also Candian. *giggles* No pressure or anything, but since you already have a couple of friends who think you might like Stargate, it might be time to bite the bullet and rent the dvds. *shrugs* just saying.

...hmm...I suppose to be fair I oughtta rent Bones and check it out if you're gonna rent Stargate. Or, as a compromise, since there are more seasons of Stargate than Bones, I can watch and chat about Heroes with you now (since I have those already) and then when I'm done I can start on the Bones seasons...You'll probably be up to season 4 of SG-1 by then... You know, if you want to...no pressure or anything...I'm just typing out loud here.

Ooh back to HQ...I know this was in another of our back-and-forth threads, but you mentioned something about Phoenix's Imperial Academy rules. Good God Almighty!!! :shock: Now that is something I wish I could get into, but I just know Dave wouldn't go for it, and I have way too many clarification questions to play Zargon myself, besides I'd really like to play as the Heroes with those rules and try to become Legends and Archmages and all that. :) It looks cool 'cause it's got the right ratio of complexity and simplicity, probably somewhere between normal HQ and D&D. Did he come up with it by himself, or is it a compilation of rules from the Advanced HQ game and other versions of HQ? I suppose I should ask him... *skips over to Phoenix's site to find a place to give him due praise* :)


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Friday September 11th, 2009 6:23pm
Location: Missouri
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby drathe » Sunday September 13th, 2009 12:56am

AerynB wrote:Aww... you're a massive jerk?


I'll let my close friends answer that question rather than my sibblings. On second thought... :roll: I'm not really a jerk, I'm just truly bastiferous. For example, I told my closest friend that if I was ever laying on my death bed, I would summon him stating that I had "something truly important to tell him, but could only do so in person." Knowing full well that I would slip into the next world long before he could arrive. :twisted:

AerynB wrote:...hmm...I suppose to be fair I oughtta rent Bones and check it out if you're gonna rent Stargate. Or, as a compromise, since there are more seasons of Stargate than Bones, I can watch and chat about Heroes with you now (since I have those already) and then when I'm done I can start on the Bones seasons...You'll probably be up to season 4 of SG-1 by then... You know, if you want to...no pressure or anything...I'm just typing out loud here.


It's a deal! I'll let you know when I've started on them and Phoenix and Zep will hold a huge parade!


AerynB wrote:...Phoenix's Imperial Academy rules. Good God Almighty!!! :shock: Now that is something I wish I could get into, but I just know Dave wouldn't go for it, and I have way too many clarification questions to play Zargon myself...


One of the great things I find about Phoenix' rules, which I believe were inspired by the Supplemental Rules of Jacob Busby, but Phoenix can correct me on this, is that the Imperial Academy is simplistic and true enough to HeroQuest that it can be added in anywhere. If you're Heroes begin looking for something more in the game after the system, begin the Academy before Kellar's Keep. Or after Return of the Witch Lord. HeroQuest has 66 quests throughout the system and quest packs. Not including the Maze, Dark Company and works published in magazines around the time (which most of us count as more official than fan) so the Heroes won't be handicapped from not starting at the very beginning. Phoenix truly did a great job on this masterpiece. It's the only advancement system that I myself will ever use. I find the others are just too complex and change the game far too much. It's just not HeroQuest anymore. As for Phoenix' Imperial Academy, it's as if it was written as an expansion for the game but just missed the market before HeroQuest was taken from the shelves.
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 2935
Images: 103
Joined: Saturday August 16th, 2008 2:55pm
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby Phoenix » Sunday September 13th, 2009 1:57am

I think that sticking to the topic should be an absolute. Why deviate from a perfectly good topic. I demand a set of by-laws pertaining to sticking to the main point of a given topic.



What was I talking about again...?







Oh, yeah, I remember. Stargate!!

Anyway, Stargate: SG-1 is about the best Science Fiction series ever. Hands down. If one were imaginative enough, one could possibly make a drinking game out of it. One shot for each instance where Carter has to dumb-down something hi-tech so that O'Neil can understand it. One shot for each language Jackson uses in an episode (of the 22 terran languages that he knows). Two shots for each Wizard of Oz or MacGyver references that they make. Three shots for each reference to The Simpsons. Four shots any time O'Neil gets the entire Ancients database d/l into his head; etc...

I'm big on Carter and O'Neil. I wasn't very happy with Jack getting replaced in Seasons 9 & 10, but the writers/producers/directors/actors did an excellent job making a seemless integration.

Oh, and Stargate: Atlantis, while not originally the favorite show, turned out really, really well. I do, however, have some hesitancy about Stargate: Universe, which aires in October. It is supposed to be more "character" driven and less "techy" driven, to go along with SyFy's new 'theme'.

And House is of course, awesome. In a random conversation, my wife made a direct comment about the similarites that House and I share. I though my mom was going to smack her (she, too (my mom) is also a fan of House and couldn't figure out how she (my wife) could say such a thing). I took it as a compliment.

I never watched Heroes. My brother watches it. He likes it.

Never was into Farscape. I had a manager that loved it (pirated every episode). He kept trying to sell in on me. I had two small children and barely had time to keep up with the shows that I did watch (thank you!! DVR). I got him back, though. I turned him onto SG-1.

As far as LOTR? I've never read the books (which shocks most people I tell). I own the extended versions of all 3 movies. Watch 100% of the first two and only about 70% of the third. I've owned them since the day/week that they were respectively released (originally) and just haven't found the time to finish the third.

As far as Terry Brooks' Shannara Series... I've read the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy and own two of the next three books and read one of them. Haven't had much time lately. What free time I do have, it's trying to spend more time with my wife and kids OR working on HeroQuest stuff.

Oh, and let us not for get R.A. Salvatore. Book 3 of his latest series is due out in October (he usually releases one a year). I've got book two, but haven't read it yet.


Topic, topic, where was I.......

Oh, I also like the following TV shows:

Supernatural, Monk, Psyche, Eureka, Mentalist, and most recently Dexter (not to be confused with the animated Cartoon Network show).


But, more to the point of topics...

If you are interested, you should join my discussion board (not to take anything away from Ye Olde Inn) but there is an entire forum for an idea that Zep and I had. We've decided to make a 'HeroQuest type' game based on Stargate. Titled, "Stargate: Missions". We haven't gotten very far, but would one day like to eventually do it. We're just coalescing ideas right now and could use all the help we can get.


Oh, and rambling is definitely not allowed!!!!! ;)
Image


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 450
Images: 0
Joined: Monday August 18th, 2008 7:54am
Location: TC, Indiana
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby Phoenix » Sunday September 13th, 2009 2:06am

Oh, and drathe; not to hassle you about this long beaten topic, but let's really try to stick to the point of a story and not ramble or take a long-winded, linguistically cruel methodology to making, what is typically, a totally redundant, round-about way of stating an over-used, repetitive opinion (or in some extreme cases fact, that usually include back-story, evidence and/or ambiguous metaphors) that most (if not all) members of this (and other boards/forums/message boards) agree with in a positve or negative manner that often leads to cruel (and sometimes useless and yet sometimes hilarious) banter that (in some extreme cases) could be taken in the wrong context.

In summation, Stargate was (approx. 99.9%) filmed in Vancouver, BC; Canada... |_P
Image


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 450
Images: 0
Joined: Monday August 18th, 2008 7:54am
Location: TC, Indiana
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby AerynB » Sunday September 13th, 2009 2:43am

:lol: *can't stop laughing* You guys are a riot.
drathe wrote:It's a deal! I'll let you know when I've started on them and Phoenix and Zep will hold a huge parade!

Ooh! A parade! For me or for you?
drathe wrote:As for Phoenix' Imperial Academy, it's as if it was written as an expansion for the game but just missed the market before HeroQuest was taken from the shelves.

You know it really does seem that way. I'm gonna see if I can incorporate it somehow into my game with Dave. :)


Phoenix wrote:I think that sticking to the topic should be an absolute. Why deviate from a perfectly good topic. I demand a set of by-laws pertaining to sticking to the main point of a given topic.

*still giggling heartily*
Phoenix wrote:If one were imaginative enough, one could possibly make a drinking game out of it. One shot for each instance where Carter has to dumb-down something hi-tech so that O'Neil can understand it. One shot for each language Jackson uses in an episode (of the 22 terran languages that he knows). Two shots for each Wizard of Oz or MacGyver references that they make. Three shots for each reference to The Simpsons. Four shots any time O'Neil gets the entire Ancients database d/l into his head; etc...

methinks phoenix has thought of this before. ;)
Phoenix wrote:I'm big on Carter and O'Neil. I wasn't very happy with Jack getting replaced in Seasons 9 & 10, but the writers/producers/directors/actors did an excellent job making a seemless integration.

whew! Seems I won't get banned for liking Vala and Mitchell...I suppose I need to pass through zep too. *crosses fingers*
Phoenix wrote:I do, however, have some hesitancy about Stargate: Universe, which aires in October.

Me too. Maybe I'm just still miffed that they (SciFi and the other powers that be) keep canceling my shows that I'm not all that interested in what they have coming next. I'll probably watch the first few eps, just to see if Jack or Daniel make an appearance, even though they probably won't, or to see if they air any trailers for any new Stargate movies coming along, but I'm not expecting to like the new show... well, we'll see.
Phoenix wrote:And House is of course, awesome. In a random conversation, my wife made a direct comment about the similarites that House and I share. I though my mom was going to smack her (she, too (my mom) is also a fan of House and couldn't figure out how she (my wife) could say such a thing). I took it as a compliment.

No comment, other than to say I'm starting to think guys wish they could get away with House's behavior and therefore admire him... hmm...I may have to put more thought into my theory.
Phoenix wrote:Never was into Farscape.

It's an acquired taste, I think. It helped that Ben Browder was extremely adorable (oops, I'm supposed to keep those to a minimum ;) ) and it also helped that the lead actress's name was the same as mine (just spelled differently). Pretty much hooked me. I'll admit it got weirder as the show progressed, but I still thought it was pretty phenomenal...and I oughtta get out my dvds (that I bought :) ) and rewatch 'em. Maybe in between Heroes eps... *sigh* Ben was so cute. *snaps out of it*
Phoenix wrote:Watch 100% of the first two and only about 70% of the third.

Oddly enough, that is more shocking. You'd think in the 3 or 4 years since those movies/dvds came out you'd have found the time to finish the third. Maybe you oughtta watch it when drathe starts SG-1 and I start Heroes...I mean, just a thought...no pressure or anything...family is way more important than tv and movies and such... :oops:
Phoenix wrote:As far as Terry Brooks' Shannara Series...

Again, not trying to push, but I don't think they'll disappoint you. I enjoyed the series you're in now (can't remember what it's called at the moment) but the one after that (the most recent) is pretty incredible too. In my humble opinion, of course. :)
Phoenix wrote:Oh, and let us not for get R.A. Salvatore. Book 3 of his latest series is due out in October (he usually releases one a year). I've got book two, but haven't read it yet.

My goodness you have a lot on your plate!
Phoenix wrote:... but there is an entire forum for an idea that Zep and I had. We've decided to make a 'HeroQuest type' game based on Stargate.

Oh yeah, I saw that when I was browsing around your site and downloading quests and such. It's a really awesome idea. Not sure how much help I can be, but I might have 2 cents to share with you.
Phoenix wrote:Oh, and rambling is definitely not allowed!!!!! ;)

And now I'm laughing again!! Man, I should get to bed. But you guys are just too much fun. Later.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Friday September 11th, 2009 6:23pm
Location: Missouri
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby AerynB » Sunday September 13th, 2009 2:45am

Phoenix wrote:Oh, and drathe; not to hassle you about this long beaten topic, but let's really try to stick to the point of a story and not ramble or take a long-winded, linguistically cruel methodology to making, what is typically, a totally redundant, round-about way of stating an over-used, repetitive opinion (or in some extreme cases fact, that usually include back-story, evidence and/or ambiguous metaphors) that most (if not all) members of this (and other boards/forums/message boards) agree with in a positve or negative manner that often leads to cruel (and sometimes useless and yet sometimes hilarious) banter that (in some extreme cases) could be taken in the wrong context.

In summation, Stargate was (approx. 99.9%) filmed in Vancouver, BC; Canada... |_P



I have a feeling I've stumbled into something betwixt you too. Either that or I'm in the Twilight Zone. Probably time for me to hit the hay. Thanks again for the laughs. :D


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Friday September 11th, 2009 6:23pm
Location: Missouri
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby drathe » Sunday September 13th, 2009 11:16pm

Phoenix wrote:If you are interested, you should join my discussion board (not to take anything away from Ye Olde Inn) but there is an entire forum for an idea that Zep and I had. We've decided to make a 'HeroQuest type' game based on Stargate. Titled, "Stargate: Missions". We haven't gotten very far, but would one day like to eventually do it. We're just coalescing ideas right now and could use all the help we can get.


Oh, by all means. It's encouraged. I expect I'll be contributing to the Stargate Forum in the very near future as well. :)

Phoenix wrote:In summation, Stargate was (approx. 99.9%) filmed in Vancouver, BC; Canada... |_P


Interesting fact. I was not aware of that. I do know of a few other shows that have been filmed in Vancouver. I believe the property and income taxes in the city may actually go to the IRS rather than the CRA. ;)

AerynB wrote:I have a feeling I've stumbled into something betwixt you too.


Not that I'm aware of. Although I do tend to be quite oblivious at times. :oops: I hope I've not caused any ill will toward my friend Phoenix. With any luck, I have not.
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 2935
Images: 103
Joined: Saturday August 16th, 2008 2:55pm
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: maybe i should introduce myself ;)

Postby AerynB » Sunday September 13th, 2009 11:33pm

drathe wrote:
Phoenix wrote:If you are interested, you should join my discussion board (not to take anything away from Ye Olde Inn) but there is an entire forum for an idea that Zep and I had. We've decided to make a 'HeroQuest type' game based on Stargate. Titled, "Stargate: Missions". We haven't gotten very far, but would one day like to eventually do it. We're just coalescing ideas right now and could use all the help we can get.

Oh, by all means. It's encouraged. I expect I'll be contributing to the Stargate Forum in the very near future as well. :)

Not if you don't get down to business and start watching those Stargate eps. ;)
drathe wrote:
AerynB wrote:I have a feeling I've stumbled into something betwixt you too.

Not that I'm aware of. Although I do tend to be quite oblivious at times. :oops: I hope I've not caused any ill will toward my friend Phoenix. With any luck, I have not.

I just meant that there seemed to be a running joke about the way you write your posts. It made me laugh, no harm done. I think. :?

Back to HQ. Dave just finished Quest 9: The Fire Mage with me. I played Zargon more evilly than I normally would and 3 of the 4 heroes died before the Elf finally picked up the Wand of Magic. Poor Dave. He had a few unlucky combat roles, but mostly he forgets to search for treasure and therefore doesn't pick up useful potions. Although, he did search for treasure maybe 5 or 6 times and got 2 cards with gold coins and a potion of healing and 2 cards with hazards and a wandering monster...maybe the hazards and wandering monsters scare him off from continuing to search. Maybe I need to remind him that each hero can search a room for treasure. *shrugs* Oh well. He did say that when I play my hardest and really try to kill him, he has more fun playing. I, on the other hand, feel like a big bully or something. :oops: I suppose I'll just have to get over it. :(


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Friday September 11th, 2009 6:23pm
Location: Missouri
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Lobby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests