• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New to HQ

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

New to HQ

Postby SexyToes » May 13th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I only just discovered Hero Quest a week ago, and it's fantastic! My husband had a copy of the game stashed away from years ago. He had received it as a Christmas gift when he was young, but no one wanted to play with him because the rules sounded too complicated, so he never played it and it sat on the shelf until now. Last weekend we wanted to play something new, so we pulled out Hero Quest and haven't looked back. So far I have been thoroughly enjoying the role of Zargon, and he is controlling all 4 heroes. Basically for the past week we have been going straight home from work and playing until we can't keep our eyes open.

The game is amazing, and I am already coming up with ideas for writing my own quest series. I'm getting some good tips while browsing the threads here as well. But I want to finish the original game first. We are up to quest 7 now, so we are halfway there.

I'm excited to find such a great community for this game, and I can't wait to learn more and of course play more!
SexyToes

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New to HQ

Postby torilen » May 13th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Welcome to the best game ever invented.
I think that it is funny that no one wanted to play because the rules sounded too complicated. I guess you and your
friends (or your husband's friends, I guess) have never had much experience with any role-playing games. HQ is
the simplest game ever. That's why everyone on here likes it so much.

If you like the simplicity, and are afraid of things getting complicated...stay away from tips and expansion by
torilen (that's me). I play too many role-playing games, and I try to add too much sometimes. Once you get into
the game a bit more, and want to expand it some, then you could start looking at my tips and expansions.

Just friendly warning. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » May 13th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Welcome Sexytoes.

When I was given the game for christmas as a child I too thought it was too complicated. It wasn't until some months later that a friend who had already played it got us into it that I realised it wasn't that bad.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ken » May 13th, 2011, 6:01 pm

"The game is amazing, and I am already coming up with ideas for writing my own quest series. I'm getting some good tips while browsing the threads here as well. But I want to finish the original game first. We are up to quest 7 now, so we are halfway there.

I'm excited to find such a great community for this game, and I can't wait to learn more and of course play more!"SexyToes

Welcome, once you get used to the game, let us into your sessions on ; Sat Night Donjon.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 13th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Welcome to the community!

Be sure to share your quests with us once you've played the Game System and begin designing your own.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby SexyToes » May 14th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Thanks everyone!

I will definitely post our games and my custom quests after I've written some. Since I'm playing Zargon right now, I've already had the chance to add some "extra" aspects to the standard quests, just to give my husband a run for his money, since now that he has gotten some equipment he is getting a bit full of himself ;)

Torilen, we're definitely not afraid of getting complicated. We both have plenty of gaming experience, and we're already talking about ways we can make it more complicated and add more features etc. I will have to check out some of your expansions!

We are on quest 10 now, and will probably finish the standard game soon. Since it's just the two of us we take some shortcuts to speed things along. We want to download some quest packs to try out new stuff and of course to keep playing. Any suggestions on the first quest pack we should try?
SexyToes

Hero:

Postby gravaillon » May 15th, 2011, 3:17 am

the order to play the expansions is like this :
- kellar's keep
- return of the witch lord
- against the ogre horde (from this point, you will need more figures for all new expansion sets)
- wizards of morcar
- the dark company
- frozen horror
- mage of the mirror

I recommand you to play quests in that order because the difficulty grows slowly like that so heroes have time to buy or find enough equipment or artifacts to become as strong as they need to be to finish the 2 lasts quests books.

Anyway, welcome to heroquest and to the community !
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 15th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I always have Mage of the Mirror before Frozen Horror. I find the monsters and special traps/scenarios to be far more difficult than those present in Mage of the Mirror. Then there is the Dark Company, which I save for the very end.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby SexyToes » May 15th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Good to know! So I guess we will start with Kellar's Keep. I was thinking I'd like to play it as the heroes, but I'll need to roll my own set of heroes and then they won't be equipped, so we'll probably play through the original again so I can beef them up. It will be fun seeing the game from the other side of the board!
SexyToes

Hero:

Postby Maike05 » May 15th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Welcome to this great community ! ;) Be sure to find support, tips and inspiration to enhance your game experience here ;) It's great because evryone can participate :)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby