• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 - Artifacts

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: HQ25 - Artifacts

Postby Daedalus » November 28th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Anderas wrote:. . . Finally: I made a preview for our 13 artifacts we have so far. I'd like to hit the brakes hard here - If it is not absolutely necessary, let's not add even more. That makes one artifact every second quest; that's a lot. We shan't make them "common" except if they can wear out (like the magical throwing dagger - by the way, we can add two or three of them; as they exist they make no additional work) . . .

I like having some temporary artifacts, but I'd rather follow the Design Document and create new ones. Sure, Magical Throwing Daggers were used in more than one expansion and thus could also be included in ours. Then again, we could instead create a Magical Throwing Ax with some Goblin-King art on a generic background.

One temporary artifact that comes to mind is spell scrolls. (No new art requirements!) I started the following as part of another post, but it belongs here.

Daedalus wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:B. On the Bench is a Spell Scroll of Courage.

B. On the bench, there is a spell scroll of Courage.
I like spell scrolls in our expansion. Some spells were used as spell scrolls in more than one expansion, so Courage could be used. However, the Design Document calls for original work over using content from other expansions. If we still want to hold that, we should include newly created ones.

Swift Wind, Veil of Mist, and Water of Life haven't been used yet, so the easiest option is to substitute one of those. However, we could also go the new-content route as was done with the EQP and BQP. Many of those spell scrolls are variations of Chaos spells found within those expansions. We also have new spells; here's are some ideas based off of Swamp spells:

Tangling Vines: This spell may be cast to ensnare one monster in entangling roots and vines. The victim may not move and rolls one less Combat Die to defend. The spell can be broken on a future turn by the victim rolling one red die for each of its Attack Dice. If a 6 is rolled, the spell ends. An adjacent monsters may also roll to end the spell by forfeiting an action.

Venomous Strike: This spell summons a viper that immediately strikes any one monster with a poisonous bite. The target must roll one Combat Die immediately and on future turns. If a skull is rolled, the spell inflicts 1 Body Point of damage. The spell is broken if a white shield is rolled or any Body Points are restored through healing.

And here's a new spell to help out with all those Mind Point spells we added:

Clear Mind: This spell may be cast on a monster's turn. The spell changes one Hero's failed roll that uses Mind Points to automatically succeed.

Other spell scrolls are possible using the Kobold Trickster spells, but I wouldn't bother with those in this earlier Quest.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » November 30th, 2018, 6:58 am

Spell Scrolls are no problem at all: They all have the same graphic, and they copy their text from the matching spell.

What do we need? Courage, Tangling Vines, Venomous Strike, Clear Mind?
Can the Barbarian use Spell Scrolls? I would make Clear Mind a Potion to avoid any clash, not because of anything official, no. Just because MOST of the house rules I've seen restrict Spell Scrolls to Spellcasters and Potions not. So this is to maximise compatibility with diverse house versions.

I still need the spiked shield picture, or we decide to put it in the bin.

But apart from that I have pictures.
For this edit, I was rummaging through the works of clmckay, GimmeYerGold, Sjeng, Slev; one italian HQ version.
Except for the pictures I have from Goblin King, that means:
NO GUARANTEE FOR THE COPYRIGHT!

For a change, I did the preview in the american format.

Last edited by Anderas on November 30th, 2018, 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 30th, 2018, 7:42 am

I'll come up with the Spiked Shield pic. I have a certain look in mind for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96rmg0727v14z ... d.svg?dl=0

Maybe can add a background or something to make it look better?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » December 5th, 2018, 8:53 am

j_dean80 wrote:
I'll come up with the Spiked Shield pic. I have a certain look in mind for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96rmg0727v14z ... d.svg?dl=0

Maybe can add a background or something to make it look better?

Was getting a 403 error trying to post last night.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 5th, 2018, 2:36 pm

I have some backgrounds. I'll see what comes out in the end.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 7th, 2018, 7:41 am

I started a search for artifact images. Most are from Talisman 1st Ed., like those used by GimmeYerGold. I wouldn't say they are all better than what we have already, but maybe some will help make a better set.

From Legend of Zagor: Aero Greaves (Winged Boots)

Spiked Shield

Guantlet of Battle

Magical Hand Ax (in place of Magical Throwing Dagger)

Also, there are these: Make's hand ax, Goblin-King's throwing ax

Infernal Armor

Mob Render
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 7th, 2018, 8:28 am

With Borin's Armor, Chandra's Cape and the Hell Rod, you might want to change the "it's" by "its".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 7th, 2018, 10:28 am

Thanks Maurice, I changed it. Next time I compile them, the new text will appear.

If you have time and want them in french, here might be an opportunity. :-)
Mon francais n'est pas suffisament bien pour faire la traduction. :)

@Daedalus,
those pictures are quite nice if we accept that they are not inked line-art like the others.
For example, that armor over there, after "translating" it to Heroquest format (sharpening and despeckling via Comic filter, turned to black and white, cut down to 4:3 picture format) it looks like that:

So that's quite nice after all! :-)

Those mobile phone pictures you took at 3 in the morning :shock: :lol: , on the other hand, are quite blurry... i would have to repaint them if we decide for them. Not motivated for that right now.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 7th, 2018, 10:57 am

Anderas wrote:Thanks Maurice, I changed it. Next time I compile them, the new text will appear.

If you have time and want them in french, here might be an opportunity. :-)
Mon francais n'est pas suffisament bien pour faire la traduction. :)

Lol, was that directed at me? I am not French :P. I am quite Dutch, thank you very much :P.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 7th, 2018, 11:09 am

Bah yes it was. Your name sounds so french. :-) :lol: If you want a dutch version... here you are, same link, just use the columns title_du and body_du :D

Other pics i edited for this thread, even if they will not neccesarily take place on a card

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming