• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 - The great TO-DO list

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: HQ25 - The great TO-DO list

Postby GimmeYerGold » December 6th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Excellent work Goldie!

But remember we are gonna use original artwork.
But I assume switching the images is an easy task once we get some new drawings done?

Thanks GK! Sorry, I totally forgot about the original art part. Ha! I'll have to take back my promise to do all the cards, as finding card art from resources is much faster than producing original work :) But yeah, I'd be happy to format any cards, and upload the photoshop templates. Alternatively, I can pull the original art as its completed, and insert them into my completed templates.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » December 6th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Goblin-King wrote:The Minotaur will only be able to use it's special ability if two heroes are standing on a line with one square between them?
Can we fix this?
I'm just throwing this out here... The minotaur hits all heroes, both orthogonal and diagonal, with it's attack?
It's a beastly attack yes, but it can still be relatively easy avoided by clever placement of the heroes.

That's not a bad idea. Going straight out multiple attacks with all 5 dice would make the Minotaur potentially stronger than a Polar Warbear, though. How about:
Minotaurs can also attack diagonally adjacent Heroes.
Instead of attacking normally, a Minotaur may attack all Heroes within range, rolling three Combat Dice against each.

And the descriptive language on the Minotaur card itself would read "Can attack diagonally. // Berserk rage: Attack all Heroes within reach using 3 Combat Dice each."

Goblin-King wrote:Should the basilisk's gaze perhaps simply stun the target for 1 round? You get hit, you loose your turn. No MP reduction, just a stun.
Loosing the barbarian for a turn is a heavy loss, but he won't get insta killed. And we don't have to get into the zero MP in-shock-rules.

I think that works better; thanks for the suggestion! We can reword the ability as:
A Basilisk may attack any Hero it can "see" with its petrifying gaze, rolling 3 Combat Dice to attack. Heroes defend using Combat Dice equal to their Mind Points. If the Basilisk scores one or more undefended skulls, its victim must skip his next turn.
I know someone was working on a Quest where the Heroes run afoul of two Basilisks and get stoned and captured. Although the change Goblin-King suggested doesn't allow for a non-scripted "bad end", an easy scripted end would be that the Heroes have never seen a Basilisk before, are therefore unprepared and thus get stoned immediately as soon as Zargon/Morcar's turn starts.
Other possible minor changes to the Basilisk would be to pin the strength of its gaze to its own Mind Point count (and bump its MP to 3 or 4 to compensate), or flip over its Attack and Defend scores to 4/3 instead of 3/4.

Goblin-King wrote:And then we have those cultist guys...
I don't mind the rule as such, but I'm not looking forward to remembering which cultist got which card. You killed the one with "Escape" (I think)...
I share your assessment about the cultists being weak casters - I sort of imagine they chant to receive demon powers :twisted:
I'm not really sure what would be a good way to handle them...

cynthialee wrote:I think the proper balance issue is to not send heroes into a challenge they can not face.
Multiple spell casters is a great challenge for a more advanced hero. So two of the party gets harshed right out the gate? Worst thing that can happen is two get fragged and the other two are left dealing with the fallout. But that is highly unlikely.

The rule just feels forced and unnatural. If it takes multiple Occultists to cast a spell, then the spell should be much more powerful than standard issue spells and all cultists in the room who take action are involved in the spells casting.
Increase the scope of the spells effect when cast by multiple cultists and it would be easier to accept the premise as presented.

I don't think anybody knows how to handle those wacky cultists. But let me get one thing clarified here: How dangerous are these cultists supposed to be, exactly? We've set their physical might to "frail" at best, so the totality of their threat level comes from how much magic they have and how strong it is. If they're supposed to be weak and cowardly, then they need to have less magic available and/or less powerful magics. Whereas if a quartet of Heroes walks into a room, sees 4 Cultists and proceeds to soil themselves, then the possibility of Firestorm-Summon Orc-Cloud of Chaos-Lightning Bolt all in one turn is A-OK. I don't have a solution for this one yet, but I'm working on it.

Noxious Spores: This spell fills one room or hallway with hallucinogenic spores. Until the caster's next turn, whenever a Hero attacks or defends in that hallway OR ROOM, he must reroll all Combat Dice once and take the worse of the two rolls.

Goblin-King wrote:Now that I re-read this one... Is it perhaps a little convoluted?

How about only black shields counts as a successful roll?

That means (if my math is correct) that an attack die goes from a 25% chance of rolling a skull to just 16%
Defending on the other hand goes up from 11,1% to 16%

I may have worded it poorly, but the intended effect of Noxious Spores is "The Hero rolls his attack or defense roll twice, and takes the set of dice, first or second, which has less of the relevant skull/shield faces showing." I.E., it compares whole rolls, not die-to-die. I'll let you process that one again before I suggest any fixes.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 18th, 2015, 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tag

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » December 6th, 2014, 5:42 pm

How about a cultist casts a basic spell. If an extra cultist is involved the damage dice is increased by one per cultist. If it is a non damage based spell like Rust, then they effect two pieces of equipment. If it is Tempest then the hero caught looses an extra turn or perhaps two heroes can be targeted...?

You could make Acolyte Cultists that are chumps and Adept Cultists who are much more powerful....

``````````````
Sorry for the tone of the above post, it was not how I meant for it to come out. I promise I play nice most the time.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 18th, 2015, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 7th, 2014, 6:52 am

We ruled out different ranks/versions of the same monsters long ago. Any special version (bosses etc.) should be handled via quest notes. So no acolytes/adepts.
The spells of varying degree sounds pretty complex! You'd need a whole table to figure out the effects... I'd like to keep it more simple.

How about giving them a "Dark Bolt" (or whatever) spell. The cultist rolls an amount of combat dice equal to the amount of cultists in the same room or corridor. However only a single cultist can cast the spell each round. The target defends like normal.

That way it's still pretty simple, and we play on the strength of the group of cultists.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 18th, 2015, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 7th, 2014, 8:50 am

Working on the icons...

I think the beastman one from the HS page looks great. I assume they are free for use if you submit them there?

I made some sketches for chaosdwarf, cultist, kobold and minotaur.
I think the dwarf, cultist and minotaur are pretty good. I'm not so sure about the kobold...
Which kind of kobold are we going for exactly? The reptile/dragon kind? The dog/rat kind? Input needed please!

I also made a quick sketch for the back of the swamp spell cards.
Is this what we are going for, or should I do something completely different? Suggestions? Improvements?
Last edited by Daedalus on February 18th, 2015, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » December 7th, 2014, 9:29 am

What the fog! Everything is awesome, except the water is too watery, instead of swampy. It needs more green. And you might want to put those skulls somewhere else, if there is going to be a banner with "Swamp Spell".

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 7th, 2014, 10:12 am

Schmidt wrote:What the fog! Everything is awesome, except the water is too watery, instead of swampy. It needs more green. And you might want to put those skulls somewhere else, if there is going to be a banner with "Swamp Spell".

The water is supposed to be more greenish brownish, but it was the best I could do with the color pencils I used for the sketch. The real thing is gonna be painted with some better colors.
As for the skulls, I'm gonna do a little measuring to ensure there is enough empty space in the bottom for the banner. Remember this is a quick sketch!

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » December 7th, 2014, 12:06 pm

I think Kobolds are a pigmy tribe of Orcs. That is my story and I am sticking with it.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 18th, 2015, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » December 7th, 2014, 3:29 pm

The text for the Insect Swarm card is missing the initial capital T for "This"

Input, take it or leave it: I've always imagined Kobolds being more reptilian, with longer snouts.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 18th, 2015, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » December 7th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Goblin-King wrote:How about giving them a "Dark Bolt" (or whatever) spell. The cultist rolls an amount of combat dice equal to the amount of cultists in the same room or corridor. However only a single cultist can cast the spell each round. The target defends like normal.

That way it's still pretty simple, and we play on the strength of the group of cultists.

Doesn't that just make them magical Kobolds? I don't mind, necessarily, if we make Cultists into magical Kobolds, but if overlap is a concern it's best to root it out here. Alternatives on that line of thought include just giving Cultists a static 2 dice ranged attack, optionally causing Heroes to roll defense equal to their Mind (which would be exactly like the Hero spell "Arrows of the Night").

I am beginning to think that giving Cultists access to Chaos Spell cards in general may be what's over-complicating them, because except for Skulls of Doom from the Wizards of Morcar, Chaos Spells are strong, which contrasts with the Cultists' weakish nature. I suspect that the proper way to give Cultists weaker Chaos Spells would be to actually make 3 chaos spells for them to choose from (Skulls of Doom, a gimpier Tempest and maybe a Sharpen Blades/Shield of Protection not limited to Orcs, for example), although if I recall correctly we already decided not to make any more spells except for the Swamp ones.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 18th, 2015, 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming