• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 Petrify Spell Card

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

HQ25 Petrify Spell Card

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 17th, 2014, 11:45 pm

This could be used by the Basilisk, or any other monster with the Petrify ability.
Petrify.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ25 Petrify Spell Card

Postby Goblin-King » July 18th, 2014, 3:57 am

Yes! We need some rules for the Basilisk!

Any thoughts for how to handle it in the actual game? I mean, all Basilisks are assumed to be able to petrify.
We shouldn't need to put in a quest note for every basilisk that it can use this spell.

I'm thinking maybe give it a chance to miss somehow, but be a reusable ability. It can either use it's normal attack or use it's gaze attack.
Either that, or give Petrify a chance to trigger when it attacks.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 18th, 2014, 6:43 am

fantastic card! I agree with GK.

I should put that in my signature...

-------------------------------------------------------
"I agree with GK."
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby TMU » July 18th, 2014, 8:57 am

How do we handle the size of a basilisk? I mean, it is one big worm. :?
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 18th, 2014, 10:49 am

For my personal set, I ordered this Basilisk from Reaper: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/ ... /IG_3554_2

I think the plastic versions will be ready soon, as part of their recent Kickstarter. And once Zealot has their 1x2 bases ready, I'll base it on one of those.

For the rule of the Basilisk's petrify ability, maybe it could be similar to the Yet's hug attack? It's a passive permanent ability, but is triggered by an action that the Hero has a chance to avoid.

For instance, the Yeti's card just says "hug attack" under special abilities, and it's elaborated in the quest expansion rule book. Maybe the Basilisk ONLY has the gaze ability as a ranged attack, and if it inflicts at least one body point of damage, then the Hero is petrified? Basically, it could be a ranged "hug attack," with the paralyzing effect, but without the 1 Body Point of damage each turn. And maybe the Hero not being able to be harmed would be a benefit of turning to stone? And perhaps the Basilisk has to maintain its gaze and cannot perform other actions if it wishes to keep the Hero petrified?
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » July 18th, 2014, 11:55 am

That's a basilisk?? Why does it have feet? :P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 18th, 2014, 12:58 pm

So is a basilisk like what Medusa was depicted as in clash of the titans? Even though I thought she was supposed to be a gorgon. :?
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 18th, 2014, 1:18 pm

TMU wrote:That's a basilisk?? Why does it have feet? :P

Eight in fact!

Gold Bearer wrote:So is a basilisk like what Medusa was depicted as in clash of the titans? Even though I thought she was supposed to be a gorgon. :?

There's a lot of ways to interpret mythological creatures, (seeing how they're totally made up things) but generally any creature called a "basilisk" is a non-humanoid reptilian beast creature, with the ability to turn creatures it looks at into stone. If the HQ25 Basilisk has eight legs or zero legs doesn't matter much to me, since it's meant to fit into the "Dragonkin" category it can be pretty loose on whether it's more serpent-like or more lizard-like.

I think I remember someone favoring the "beast-like" interpretation of the basilisk (number of legs aside) because it would be a nice addition to the only other beast-like monster, the giant wolf. So that's where my vote goes if it comes to it. |_P
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » July 18th, 2014, 2:17 pm

I've always thought of the basilisk as being 1x2 or 1x3 for how many spaces it takes up. Maybe 1x4 for really big ones.
For the petrifying gaze, I would put the information on the monster card as a permanent ability. It can either attack or
attempt to make a gaze attack.

If the "spell" is going to work as shown above, that it can be broken on the roll of a 6, then make it very easy for the
gaze attack to work. Perhaps it is an automatic successful attack, and must be defended against as a spell (simply as
shown in the spell card above), but the basilisk can do it only every other turn or every three turns...or maybe use tokens
to show how many times it can do it per quest.

If you want to make it permanent petrification, then it would have to be much harder for the "spell" to be successful.
Perhaps the basilisk must roll to see if the gaze is successful, and then the hero still gets to attempt to break it, but
must roll a 5 or 6.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 18th, 2014, 2:25 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:There's a lot of ways to interpret mythological creatures, (seeing how they're totally made up things) but generally any creature called a "basilisk" is a non-humanoid reptilian beast creature, with the ability to turn creatures it looks at into stone.
I thought most mythological creatures were fairly well defined. Griffin, chimera, hydra (would have been my pick), dragon (although they vary a bit).
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming