• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: 5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Postby Daedalus » November 11th, 2018, 1:41 am

The bog trap can be found at the first page of this topic, but it's named differently. Slough Trap An abridged version can be found here. All references were linked in the OP of the Swamp spells poll topic. They are found under entry C.

Here's another trap that could be found in a swamp and other places:

Water Trap:
Any Hero that springs this covered trap falls in and immediately ends his turn. At the start of his following turns, the Hero must roll his movement dice, one less if he possesses any armor. The Hero must spend 5 movement treading water, otherwise he loses 1 Body Point of damage and can't move out. Armor may be discarded and lost before rolling. Once sprung, a water trap cannot be disarmed.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » November 12th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Another trap idea adapted from the EQP tile:

Quicksand: Quicksand appears as dry ground. Quicksand may be jumped, but it can't be disarmed. A Hero that moves into a quicksand pit square springs the trap and starts to sink. The Hero may end a messy death by discarding any one item (weapon, potion, etc.), ending his turn. On his next turn, the Hero may climb out of the quicksand. This ends his turn.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 13th, 2018, 6:54 am

Water trap and Quicksand... :-)

Seems to me as if we need to start the introductory pages of the Quest Pack, in order to not lose the overview. I like those mechanics.

The Water trap could live without "Once sprung, it cannot be disarmed". I mean, [RPG]the dwarf can put it back into it's pre-sprung condition and then add a piece of wood at the right place to make it safe, no?[/RPG]

That's personal of course: I don't like all those remarks about sprung traps cannot be disarmed - what's the dwarf there for, after all?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 13th, 2018, 8:21 am

Anderas wrote:Water trap and Quicksand... :-)

Seems to me as if we need to start the introductory pages of the Quest Pack, in order to not lose the overview. I like those mechanics.

The Water trap could live without "Once sprung, it cannot be disarmed". I mean, [RPG]the dwarf can put it back into it's pre-sprung condition and then add a piece of wood at the right place to make it safe, no?[/RPG]

That's personal of course: I don't like all those remarks about sprung traps cannot be disarmed - what's the dwarf there for, after all?

That's how NA traps work. This may get complicated with 2 versions.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 13th, 2018, 1:40 pm

:mummy:
Anderas wrote:Water trap and Quicksand... :-)

After reviewing the EU rules for traps, I can see why you'd favor the removal of a water trap tile. How about a modified text open to EU/NA interpretation? Also, combat penalties need mentioning.

". . . Once sprung, a water trap cannot be disarmed." > For purposes of combat and disarming, treat a sprung water trap as a pit trap.
If we instead provide separate folders for each rules set as with the cards, then the EU wording can be more direct and specific. Like any EU trap tile, it can be removed:

". . . Once sprung, a water trap cannot be disarmed." > A character in a water trap attacks and defends with one less die. A water trap remains on the board as an obstacle.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Previous

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming