• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Postby Gold Bearer » July 6th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Slight rewording and added a holy water cure rule.

Swamp Zombies
Movement: 4. Attack: 2. Defend: 3. Body Points: 3. Mind Points: 0.
Swamp zombies are putrid undead creatures that carry deadly diseases. Any non undead or swamp based character wounded by a swamp zombie rolls a combat dice each (just roll once in the case of multiple wounds in one attack) time they are wounded by a swamp zombie. On the roll of a skull they suffer an additional body point of damage. On the roll of a black shield they suffer an additional body point of damage and are infected with a cocktail of foul diseases and roll a combat dice at the start of each of their turns. On a black shield the target suffers one body point of damage and on a white shield the diseases are fought off. Any character killed by swamp disease becomes a swamp zombie and can't be resurrected by an elixir of life. Swamp disease can be cured by drinking holy water, which is then discarded.

Disease
A target in sight is infected with a putrid swamp disease and rolls a combat dice immediately and at the start of each of their turns. On a black shield the target suffers one body point of damage and on a white shield the spell wears off. Doesn't affect undead or swamp/marsh/bog creatures. Any character killed by swamp disease becomes a swamp zombie and can't be resurrected by an elixir of life. Swamp disease can be cured by drinking holy water, which is then discarded.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 23rd, 2015, 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: tag
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » July 6th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Yup. I was typing on my phone, and I always keep things brief, which can lead to unclarity...

But yes, the pimped Fimir spells were just a little project I did to fit those spells in better with the EU card sets I made, and they should stay seperate fropm HQ25.
I like the idea of Swamp Spells for this quest pack. Fimir can use them, but also any other Bog monster, like the kobolds, should someone use a kobold shaman.
We can of course draw inspiration from the Fimir spells, but we've got plenty of ideas already, so I think we're doing fine. And we all seem to be on the same page indeed ;)

About the Swamp zombies: reword it a bit. Now it reads as: "Any non undead or swamp based character..." Why would a swamp based character be attacked by swamp zombies? (you see?) I know you mean non swamp based character, but it took me a few reads to get it. Also, this doesn't read well: "rolls a combat dice each (just roll once in the case of multiple wounds in one attack) time".

These are probably just ideas right now, and we need to review all spell ideas after we choose 6, and then reword them to fit on a card and be clear, so there won't be any misinterpretation.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 23rd, 2015, 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 6th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Yea they still need a bit of rewording.

I really can't understand why we'd want to limit the swamp deck to just six spells though? I think more like ten or twelve would be much better, as long as we like those spells.

Pimped talisman spells, buddy, friend and pal? Whether they make into this or not. :D |_P :redheart: X
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » July 6th, 2014, 3:48 pm

knightkrawler wrote: Fogwalkers
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 6th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Teldurn wrote:

I like that one, too.
6 spells was my number for a spell deck cause it's analogous to the WoM spell decks.
Could be changed, but concerning HQ spells I understandably have an affinity to numbers divisible by 3. I'd prefer 6 to 9 or even more.
Any swamp magicuser could also have regular chaos spells.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 6th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Teldurn wrote:
Marshwalkers?

knightkrawler wrote:6 spells was my number for a spell deck cause it's analogous to the WoM spell decks.
Could be changed, but concerning HQ spells I understandably have an affinity to numbers divisible by 3. I'd prefer 6 to 9 or even more.
Twelve. ;)

Marshwalkers
Marshwalkers are are putrid undead swamp zombies that carry deadly diseases. Any character wounded by a swamp zombie rolls a combat dice each time (just roll once in the case of multiple wounds in one attack) they are wounded by a swamp zombie. On the roll of a skull they suffer an additional body point of damage. On the roll of a black shield they suffer an additional body point of damage and are infected with a cocktail of foul diseases and roll a combat dice at the start of each of their turns. On a black shield the target suffers one body point of damage and on a white shield the diseases are fought off. Any character killed by swamp disease becomes a swamp zombie and can't be resurrected by an elixir of life. Swamp disease can be cured by drinking holy water, which is then discarded.

I'll change the name to fogwalkers or keep it as swamp zombies if people prefer and add the no undead or swamp based condition if reflection from my talsiman spell set makes it in.

So how big is that toxic cloud tile?
Last edited by Daedalus on February 23rd, 2015, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » July 6th, 2014, 4:49 pm

The sound of 4 consonants next to each other MaRSHWalkers doesn't make it roll off the tongue as easily as Fogwalkers, in my humble opinion. Plus, Fogwalkers has that "fah wah" sound going for it, which is nice.

I also don't have a strong opinion either way regarding 6, 9, or 12 spells. But only those three number options, nothing else. And finally, I like the description Gold Bearer wrote. It's a bit wordy and I don't know if that will fit on a card, but I don't have any constructive way to minimize the text.
My single suggested change would be to make the parenthetical into a separate sentence itself: "Any character wounded by a swamp zombie rolls a combat dice each time they are wounded by a swamp zombie. Just roll once in the case of multiple wounds in one attack."

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 6th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Bloody wording errors again. It's a good job I don't speak like that.

Fogwalkers
Fogwalkers are putrid undead swamp zombies that carry deadly diseases. Any character wounded by a fogwalker rolls one combat dice (regardless of how many wounds they suffer). On the roll of a skull they suffer an additional body point of damage. On the roll of a black shield they suffer an additional body point of damage and are infected with a cocktail of foul diseases and roll a combat dice at the start of each of their turns. On a black shield they suffer one body point of damage and on a white shield the diseases are fought off. Any character killed by swamp disease becomes a fogwalker and can't be resurrected by an elixir of life. Swamp disease can be cured by drinking holy water, which is then discarded.

So how big is that toxic cloud tile? :)
Last edited by Daedalus on February 23rd, 2015, 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 6th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Toxic Cloud
Place the toxic cloud tile so that at least one square of it is in the casters line of sight. Any non undead and non swamp based character that starts their turn in a toxic cloud rolls a combat dice. On a skull they miss their turn due to coughing and choking on the foul vapours and on a black shield they miss their turn and suffer one body point of damage. The cloud lasts for as long as the caster is alive.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 10th, 2015, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » July 6th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Is the toxic cloud tile 2x2 squares?

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming