• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Postby Gold Bearer » July 1st, 2014, 3:43 pm

Teldurn wrote:Aside from being confused how at Insect Swarm works, I like these ideas.
All the insects attack individually with one dice. Maybe not such a great idea. Oh, three attack dice ignoring any armour improvements for defence! The dwarf defends with two the and others defend with one maybe if we're going that rout with no equipment at the start of the cell quest.

knightkrawler wrote:That clarifies it. But the part from "even..." on is not necessary, because there's no clause in the first part of the sentence nullifying what happens on a white shield.
Technically it's not necessary, but practically it is.

knightkrawler wrote:If one or more black shields ARE rolled, the hero loses 1 Body point, even if the roll also results in one or more white shields.
;)
Last edited by Daedalus on February 9th, 2015, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » July 1st, 2014, 3:52 pm

Teldurn wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Yes exactly what I was thinking. When I think "Swamp magic" I think of debuffing magic rather than straight out offensive spells.

Target get -1 combat die to defense for a round.
Weakened attacks
Rust effects - I like the acid rain!
anti movement
Hallucination

Yes, I like all these ideas. I also have no problem with swamp magic being offensive, either.

Sure there can be offensive spells - just an emphasis on debuffing. The images I get from "Swamp magic" is being stuck, drowning, diseased, poisoned, being lost and confused. Not so much FIREBALLINTHEFACE BAM!

Teldurn wrote:In keeping with the other spell decks, I feel we should keep it "X Spell" or even in the EU format, "Spells of X." So, my suggestion would be "Marsh Spell".

Aaah! I'm Danish you know, and we call "Fire Spell" "Ild Magi", literally "Fire Magic". I guess I just assumed that's how they were named.
But of course they should follow the original format of "X Spell". |_P

Teldurn wrote:As a final thought, for the Fimir Spell redux specifically, I think we should keep it at 9 spells, and have each monster access a small number of them, maybe 3 or 4 at a time. All depending on the monster using the swamp magic.

100% agree. Basically like the Chaos spells were used in NA game system.

@ Knightkrawler: As you know I usually don't read your posts ;)
Buuuut... I actually like the slough trap very much. I think either the damage should simply be automatically inflicted if you fail to climb out or it doesn't do damage at all. I should be kept as simple as possible.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 9th, 2015, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » July 1st, 2014, 4:36 pm

For the hallucination, it could be a fungal spore type thing, where it forces the the players to re-roll all successful combat dice.. seems harsh but they might get a better roll so it would balance out.
I put this more eloquently earlier, but my reply for some reason didn't go up!
I think keeping with the original decks is a good way forward.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 9th, 2015, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » July 1st, 2014, 5:03 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:If one or more black shields ARE rolled, the hero loses 1 Body point, even if the roll also results in one or more white shields.
;)

No, "is" is correct because you're supposed to ignore the intermediate clause to determine verb tense. Now reread the sentence in caps: "IF ONE or more black shields IS ROLLED..." The (for lack of a better term) "core" of the sentence is "If one is rolled, <then stuff happens>." You're suggesting "IF ONE ARE ROLLED" ;) because the verb "is" comes before the plural noun "shields," it tricks your brain to thinking that the subject of the sentence is "shields" so you want to make "is" into "are" but in fact that's not the case. If you wanted to be pedantic about it, you probably should be saying, "If one black shield or more is rolled..." because then the subject of the sentence becomes "shield" with "one or more" being the... what's it called, not the adjective but something else that describes it. But saying it this way sounds stupid.

Now that I think about it, shouldn't it be, "If one or more black shield is rolled.." singular shield? That could fix it. But it still sounds weird.

TeL;DuR:n English has insane and sometimes contradictory language rules.

Forgive me for this inane digression. Sometimes I can't help myself, and my Grammar Nazi badge is starting to show. :oops:
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 1st, 2014, 6:17 pm

I'm not arguing with you, I'm sure you're right but 'If one or more black shields is rolled...' sounds very wrong and 'If one or more black shields are rolled...' sounds much more righter.

Teldurn wrote:TeL;DuR:n English has insane and sometimes contradictory language rules.
Well if our language ain't good enough for you any more feel free to steal someone else's and spell half the words wrong by missing out letters for no apparent reason. :D
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » July 1st, 2014, 6:45 pm

I wasn't arguing either. Sometimes my pedantry gets the better of me and for that I apologize. (Or isn't it apologise for the UKers? :lol: )

I know it sounds weird but that's the way it is.

Also I see what you did there and I'm glad you haven't caught my hidden joke yet.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby gootchute » July 1st, 2014, 10:32 pm

I'm OK with whatever Swamp Magic spells you all decide to recreate, they are ancillary to the plot, but will be fun. Obviously not all may be used in the course of 5 short quests, we do have to remember this is a new starting group of heroes!

I like the idea of the Slough Trap, but am not sold on the mechanics. Barbarians have a greater chance of being inured b/c they roll more dice? It doesn't sit well with me.

I cannot recall all the instances BP is used for special circumstances in the official quests, I seem to recall rolling 1d6+BP to try to get 10+ for something. Can anyone cite quests we can use as a guide?

my take on it:
Slough Trap: This trap may be searched for as normal but not disarmed since it is part of the natural environment. It must be jumped to be avoided, the trap will continue to effect each hero who enters the square or begins their turn in it. Heroes sink rapidly, roll 1 combat die: :skull: = give the hero a sinking token, :whiteshield: , :blackshield: = remove a sinking token (optional: heroes in plate mail only remove tokens in a :blackshield: ). Stuck heroes are treated as if they are in a pit trap for movement and combat. Once sinking token equal a hero's starting BP they are killed! Heroes must begin their turn without a sinking token and avoid rolling a skull to leave the Slough Trap square.

In this way it does little harm to a fully healed hero, other than slowing them down. But an unlucky string of rolls can begin to look grim indeed! You could change the kill condition to current BP rather than Starting BP to represent the fatigue making the trap more deadly... I rather like the idea now that I type it out...
Last edited by Daedalus on February 9th, 2015, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » July 2nd, 2014, 2:29 am

knightkrawler wrote:If one or more black shields is rolled, the hero loses 1 Body point, even if the roll also results in one or more white shields.
Original post edited accordingly.

That clarifies it. But the part from "even..." on is not necessary, because there's no clause in the first part of the sentence nullifying what happens on a white shield.

It could go, "Anytime a black sheild is rolled, the hero loses 1BP."
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » July 2nd, 2014, 4:02 am

marsh magic

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sajungzak » July 2nd, 2014, 4:11 am

Baylor_OgreBane wrote:marsh magic

Where's the Like button?
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming