• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3. HQ25 - Choose your monsters + stats

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: 3. Choose your monsters + stats

Postby Teldurn » January 6th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Goblin-King wrote:@ whoever asked how we are going to decide to which actual monsters:

I think for now we let the ideas run loose. I personally encourage to keep iterating your monster packs. Don't assume you nailed it in first try ;)
Use the ideas you like from other's packs, let them melt together and post a new monster list. I hope we can somehow reach a consensus on at least a big portion of the pack.
Please be open about which ideas you like and don't like - The squeaking wheel get's the oil and all that jazz. If we hear a vocal support for an idea, it's more likely to be included.
If necessary we'll vote.

That was me. And thanks. I had a feeling this was going to be the way it was handled but just wanted to be sure. ^_^

Here's mine:

DRAGONKIN
fodder: Kobold Ambusher: M10 A2 D1 B1 M2, Ambush: All Ambushers in the same room can attack at once, splitting up their AD as EWP desires.
warrior: Kobold Skirmisher: M8 A1(2 ranged) D3 B2 M3, Sticky Bomb: Their little ceramic jugs contain a sticky sap that immobilizes and damages anyone that gets hit.
Caster: Kobold Wormpriest: M7 A2 D2 B2 M8, 9 spells including possibilities:
    [Fear, Ball of Flame, Rust, Sleep] Chaos Spells
    Something to give all Kobolds in the room +1AD for one round.
    Something to let one Kobold attack twice.
    A one-time Kobold resurrection spell.
    Whatever else we think of.
Miniboss: Basilisk: M8 A4 D3 B3 M1, Petrify: Instead of attacking, it rolls 2CD. If it rolls 2 skulls, hero must roll any shield or turn to stone. All items, potions and spells/scrolls are also lost. Artifacts drop to the ground unharmed.

CHAOS
fodder: Chaos Cultist: M6 A2 D1 B1 M3, Ritual: All cultists roll their combined AD at once. If they get a combined 3 Black Skulls, they summon a Demon.
warrior: Chaos Dwarf: M8 A3 D4 B2 M2, Shield Wall: Any two or more Dwarves that are adjacent to each other each get +1DD.
Caster: Demon: M6 A4 D4 B3 M4, Attacks MP. Knows the Chaos Spells Command and Cloud of Chaos, and can cast each one twice. (This guy is bad enough to be a miniboss, too actually)
Miniboss: Minotaur: M6 A4 D3 B2 M3, Goring Charge: If it moves at least 3 squares without going over the same square twice, it attacks with 6AD..
Last edited by Daedalus on September 12th, 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged for link
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » January 9th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Don't let this fall asleep. I recommend setting an ultimatum to post stats at this point. They can very well be worked on later, anyway, especially if someone writing a quest wants this and that to work a specific way. They can then reach in a special rule idea/stat change idea to be pondered again.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » January 10th, 2014, 6:28 am

My thoughts are those 2 simple additions:

- Chaos Sorcerer:
B:3 M:5 A:3 D:3 Mv:7 Skill:1 random mind spell from AtOH+1 chaos spell card (or another combination, but not new cards, there are so many spells that used rarely in the game)
This figure until now existed to represent all chaos sorcerers. Try to change it by placing him as a category monster (like chaos warrior) and use the 4 wizards of morcar figures to represent the rest of famous wizards (except the undead wizards).

- Kobolds:
B:1 M:1 A:1+diagonal D:1 Mv:9 Skill:can combine it's attack with other monsters who are attacking the same target. example:a hero behind a door, with free diagonal spaces, gets an attack of 5 dice from 1 fimir and 2 kobolds. To keep things simple, as HQ is, there's no need for chief kobolds categories, this race could be led by a fimir, gargoyle or whatever.

Those 2 monster categories add to the game more tactic (with kobolds' battle behaviour) and more suspense (with chaos sorcerer's utilization).
And the only new staff we need, except trap tiles etc, is a 6-8 kobold figure set..
Last edited by Daedalus on September 23rd, 2014, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » January 10th, 2014, 8:03 am

Sotiris wrote: To keep things simple, as HQ is, there's no need for chief kobolds categories, this race could be led by a fimir, gargoyle or whatever.

That makes a lot of sense. If you really needed a chief kobold he could be given stats in the Quest notes in the same way as characters like Ulag..
Last edited by Daedalus on January 22nd, 2015, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » January 10th, 2014, 10:26 am

Sotiris wrote:My thoughts are those 2 simple additions:

- Chaos Sorcerer:
B:3 M:5 A:3 D:3 Mv:7 Skill:1 random mind spell from AtOH+1 chaos spell card (or another combination, but not new cards, there are so many spells that used rarely in the game)
This figure until now existed to represent all chaos sorcerers. Try to change it by placing him as a category monster (like chaos warrior) and use the 4 wizards of morcar figures to represent the rest of famous wizards (except the undead wizards).

- Kobolds:
B:1 M:1 A:1+diagonal D:1 Mv:9 Skill:can combine it's attack with other monsters who are attacking the same target. example:a hero behind a door, with free diagonal spaces, gets an attack of 5 dice from 1 fimir and 2 kobolds. To keep things simple, as HQ is, there's no need for chief kobolds categories, this race could be led by a fimir, gargoyle or whatever.

Those 2 monster categories add to the game more tactic (with kobolds' battle behaviour) and more suspense (with chaos sorcerer's utilization).
And the only new staff we need, except trap tiles etc, is a 6-8 kobold figure set.

Wow! I like this idea about combining attacks. I think you should keep this skill…

Also, I think it could be a very good skill (of 3 uses) for a new hero. Because it needs a good dexterity, it fits very well to elves or to rogue classes, as thieves or assassins. I think each non-wizard elf in HQ should have 3 tokens for this kind of supportive attack that he can combine his attack with another hero in the same target against his defense.

I think for now on, every time a player chooses to take an elven hero, I will ask him to choose if he is a caster with one school of magic or a warrior with this skill!

:elf:
Last edited by Patroclus on January 10th, 2014, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » January 10th, 2014, 12:09 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:
Sotiris wrote: To keep things simple, as HQ is, there's no need for chief kobolds categories, this race could be led by a fimir, gargoyle or whatever.

That makes a lot of sense. If you really needed a chief kobold he could be given stats in the Quest notes in the same way as characters like Ulag.

I support this notion. Like I sad several times. Keep this tight! Trim the fat!
I still want to make a spell deck for the kobolds though. But hey, why not?

I do think only adding two new monsters (where one isn't really new) is a tad too little. New monsters are fun!
Ideally I would aim for 4 new.

My updated suggestion:

Kobold
M:10 A:2 D:1 BP:1 MP:1 +Ambush. Any one of the two combi attack skills - I like them both

Basilisk - I really like the basilisk; I'm gonna lobby this guy! ;)
M:8 A:3 D:5 BP:4 MP:3 +some sort of petrify skill (preferably somehow related to MP)

Beast Man
M:6 A:3 D:2 BP:2 MP:2 +Heavy Attack

Shadow (-Fiend, -Lord, -Demon?)
M:8 A:2 D:3 BP:1 MP:4 +fly, does damage to MP instead of HP.
Last edited by Daedalus on September 23rd, 2014, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby MrBigB » January 10th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Sotiris wrote:Kobolds:
B:1 M:1 A:1+diagonal D:1 Mv:9 Skill:can combine it's attack with other monsters who are attacking the same target. example:a hero behind a door, with free diagonal spaces, gets an attack of 5 dice from 1 fimir and 2 kobolds. To keep things simple, as HQ is, there's no need for chief kobolds categories, this race could be led by a fimir, gargoyle or whatever

This is my favorite Kobold idea yet! I'd would just limit the gang up ability to when then are led by Fimir :2cents:

Goblin-King wrote:Basilisk - I really like the basilisk; I'm gonna lobby this guy! ;)
M:8 A:3 D:5 BP:4 MP:3 +some sort of petrify skill (preferably somehow related to MP)

110% behind you on the Basilisk!! Great addition, and I like those stats :D For the ability maybe a passive one like if a hero is directly in front/facing the basilisk they get -1 on def rolls, and/or if Basilisk attack is 3 black shields the hero takes no damage but is petrified for 1 turn. All damage done to hero while petrified damages MP instead of body?.
Last edited by Daedalus on September 23rd, 2014, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wolfie907 » January 11th, 2014, 2:38 am

I like the basilisk why not make it a medusa two reasons 1 it will fit and look better on a normal sized base and second it is a humanoid.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 22nd, 2015, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » January 11th, 2014, 2:43 am

So here goes my attempt at contributing.

For our lizard-y friends I like the following
Kobold
M:9 A:1 D:2 B:1 M:2
Special: Skirmish (When a hero is attacked by a monster with skirmish take note of how many white shields remain after the combat is resolved. If the hero is attacked by another monster with skirmish that turn he uses the remaining, if any, white shields.)

Basilisk (Big monster with a 2x1 base)
M:8 A:3 D:4 B:3 M:2
Special: Poisonous Bite (After regular damage is resolved compare any black shields in the attack roll to the remaining white shields in the hero's defense roll. Each unblocked black shield gets the hero 1 poison counter. See below for more on poison counters.)
Special: Stone Gaze (Instead of attacking the Basilisk can attempt to turn a hero to stone with it's gaze by rolling a 2 combat die range attack that the heroes defend against with their MP. Any undefended skulls result in the hero being turned to stone.)
Poison Counters: At the start of a hero's turn if they have any poison counters they roll red die for each current BP they have. Each 6 rolled removes a poison counter. After the roll each remaining poison counter deals 1 BP damage. Poison counters can also be removed with healing spells/potions by sacrificing 1 point of healing to remove the counter instead.

For the Beast-y monsters
Beastman
M:6 A:3 D:2 B:2 M:2
Special: Heavy Attack (Sacrifice moving for the turn to get +1 Attack die)

Minotaur
M:7 A:4 D:4 B:4 M 3
Special: Charge (If a hero started the turn 3 or more spaces away from the Minotaur he gets +2 attack dice when attacking that hero)

And finaly for Chaos-y monsters
Chaos Dwarf Warrior
M:6 A:2 D:4 B:2 M:3

Chaos Dwarf Runecaster
M:5 A:1 D:4 B:2 M:5
Special: Caster

I'm working on some good Rune spells and will post them when they are a little more polished.

-JasonMCM.
Last edited by Daedalus on September 23rd, 2014, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 11th, 2014, 10:47 am

wolfie907 wrote:I like the basilisk why not make it a medusa two reasons 1 it will fit and look better on a normal sized base and second it is a humanoid

Those are actually the two reasons why I like the basilisk! It is a large monster and it's a "beast". That makes it stand out more in the group.

I kinda imagine the kobolds sharing the same habitats as basilisks. Mountains, rocks, caves.
Once in a while a brave group of kobolds manage to capture and train a (to them, sacred!) basilisk.

@JasonMCM
I think the CD Runecaster could be left out for the reasons stated a few posts back.
No reason not to still include a spell deck though..

That aside I like the setup; this is very close to how I personally would like it to turn out.
I'm not 100% certain on the special abilities.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 22nd, 2015, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming