• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Poll] 2. Which monster factions do we want in HQ25?

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Which TWO factions do we want in addition to the existing factions for the HQ25 Quest pack?

Poll ended at January 3rd, 2014, 2:40 pm

Skaven (clanrats, assassins, rat ogres, seer)
21%
Chaos (beastmen, warriors, warlocks, dwarves)
34%
Dragonkin (kobolds, lizardmen, fimir, dragons, lizard shaman)
30%
Gothic Horrors (vampires, werewolves, bats, banshees)
11%
Ogres (ogre warriors, lords, chieftain, butcher, shaman, gnoblars)
4%

Total votes : 47

Re: [Poll] 2. Which monster factions do we want in HQ25?

Postby Sjeng » January 3rd, 2014, 1:40 pm

Actually, the undead are already in the core set (skeletons, zombies, mummies), and the Gothic Horrors were meant to be the "rest". I didn't want to call those "undead" as well, because some of those arent really undead (werewolf, bats and such).
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 3rd, 2014, 3:00 pm

I always thought of rats, bats, spiders, snakes and the like as generic dungeon inhabitants (although rats have a natural kindred with skaven, snakes with snake men and I always imagined goblins and spiders getting along)

Now the poll is reaching its conclusion can I add a last growl of thunder...

Which TWO factions do we want in addition to to the existing factions for the HQ25 Quest pack?

1. Chaos & Ogres are existing factions

2. Greenskins & Chaos however, due to the Games Workshop influence, HQ suffers from their hodge-podge approach of attempting to fuse Tolkien's LOTR with Moorcock's Chaos v Order theme leaving the Greenskins as mere footsoldiers with a Chaos Command group (the Gargoyle - Gothic - is very Bloodthirster-like with the right paint job). If you want LOTR then go the whole hog and dump the Chaos concept, but for me this is one of GW's best bits! Give Chaos a body (Beastmen and/or Marauders) and Greenskins a head (Black Orcs, Warlord, Shaman and maybe a Troll as the "Monster of the Faction")!

3. Dump Fimir - GW already did and whilst I liked Fimir in the original WFRP - my first RPG - replace with Snake Men - to retain that secrecy, alien, ancient concept- but alas no great minis that I can find...

4. Undead - dump the Mummies, too Scooby Doo and replace with a Wraith or Wight as the Monster of this faction and replace Zombies (too modern sci-fi) with Ghouls.

5. Include the Skaven, great minis, great concept, great dungeon denizens plus it steps HQ up to being a rival to AHQ instead of just being the prequel!
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: tag
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 3rd, 2014, 3:05 pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:it steps HQ up to being a rival to AHQ instead of just being the prequel!

While I see the point in all of your arguments and partially concur, this part quoted struck me hard.
Who in their right mind sees HQ as a prequel to AHQ?!? No, really, who!?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » January 3rd, 2014, 3:43 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Bareheaded Warrior wrote:it steps HQ up to being a rival to AHQ instead of just being the prequel!

While I see the point in all of your arguments and partially concur, this part quoted struck me hard.
Who in their right mind sees HQ as a prequel to AHQ?!? No, really, who!?

I don't |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby sajungzak » January 3rd, 2014, 4:18 pm

That would be me who only voted once . Oops. I voted for dragon Kin, my second would have been chaos anyway.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 4th, 2014, 9:00 am

Sjeng wrote:Actually, the undead are already in the core set (skeletons, zombies, mummies), and the Gothic Horrors were meant to be the "rest". I didn't want to call those "undead" as well, because some of those arent really undead (werewolf, bats and such).
Werewolves and banshees, undead? I read it more as classic monsters from mythology.

I think basic dark elves should make an appearance as well, especially if chaos dwarves are going to be in it.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » January 4th, 2014, 9:41 am

Bareheaded warrior - have you read any books with mummy's in them? I would suggest Canticle,
the first book of the cleric quintet, by r a salvatore.
You have to get to the end for most of the mummy scenes, but I can tell you a mummy is nothing
to be sneezed at. Granted, for a band of heroes, even starter heroes, a mummy wouldn't be all
that hard...add one or two more in the mix, and make sure you included the possibility of contracting
some horrible disease (as it should be), and you've got yourself something horrifying.

And apparently mummies have some sort of fear effect, also...I think that would be too much to add in
to HQ, though.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 4th, 2014, 9:51 am

Why is this thread still getting more posts than the "Monsters + Stats" thread?

I realize some may be a little late to the party and might not really have been a part of the earlier threads, but the time to influence the overall theme have come and gone.
The votes went to chaos and kobolds. Time to get in here and get the best out of it:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2174

|_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 4th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Ok retraction time, or at least a small step back on a couple of points;

it steps HQ up to being a rival to AHQ instead of just being the prequel!

That may have been worded in a fashion intended to be a little provocative, I don't see HQ as just the prequel, but including Skaven in HQ25 is a step towards HQ offering everything it does plus the better parts of AHQ!

Bareheaded warrior - have you read any books with mummy's in them? I would suggest Canticle,
the first book of the cleric quintet, by r a salvatore.

Yes I have but not that one, although R A Salvatore has been recommended to me by others recently so this may be a hint. The Scooby Doo comment may have been a little harsh but my issues with Mummies is that they are fairly location specific i.e. Egypt or its fantasy equivalent and my characters tend not to journey that far! I'd prefer Wraiths or Wights (difference to be discussed) as the Monster element of the Undead faction.

Please no Chaos Dwarves! I like the Dark Elf minis and 'culture' but how many hang around in the dungeons of the Old World?

Finally if we are adding Dragon related races to our Dungeons are we not straying into the territory of a certain other infamous game...
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » January 28th, 2015, 2:38 pm

I compiled an index composed of links for reference of this thread. It includes all HQ 25 monster suggestions and comments (sometimes you need to read down a post for relevant info.) Bolded entries are the officially-chosen six monsters from the 3. HQ25 - Choose your monsters + stats topic. Underlined entries are general monster types that contain subtypes. Italicized entries are monsters from the Main Game System. Though many entries don't qualify as one of the six agreed-upon monsters, I included them anyway for completeness as they may inspire other uses in the expansion.

Why bother? My aim is to provide an efficient and logical means for understanding what the community has presented as a whole. A few of other threads contain relevant information that I've been linking (more to do.) From here, polls can be created with just the relevant monster links included between them so that all Inn members can have an informed, equal say in choosing the final form of each of the six HQ 25 monsters. I'd suggest this should be done one monster poll at a time so that a more manageable set of links could be explored and discussed, then move on. Editors will reserve the right to make adjustments, as per the Design Document.

Reptilians

Chaos

Skaven

Greenskins

Magical Creatures

Undead

Miscillaneous

UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming