• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Poll] 2. Which monster factions do we want in HQ25?

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Which TWO factions do we want in addition to the existing factions for the HQ25 Quest pack?

Poll ended at January 3rd, 2014, 2:40 pm

Skaven (clanrats, assassins, rat ogres, seer)
21%
Chaos (beastmen, warriors, warlocks, dwarves)
34%
Dragonkin (kobolds, lizardmen, fimir, dragons, lizard shaman)
30%
Gothic Horrors (vampires, werewolves, bats, banshees)
11%
Ogres (ogre warriors, lords, chieftain, butcher, shaman, gnoblars)
4%

Total votes : 47

[Poll] 2. Which monster factions do we want in HQ25?

Postby Sjeng » December 22nd, 2013, 5:43 am

Poll created! Place your votes please. You have 1 week starting today dec. 27th. Pick any TWO choices.
(existing factions are greenskins and undead from the core game. Chaos is also in there, but it could use more monster types.)
Ogres are also in the game, so they may always be used, but perhaps there's a want for an entire faction for them with more types? If you just want to use the standard ones, you need not choose them in this poll, as they are already allowed.

Allright, before I turn this into a poll, I'll sum up the monsters we came up with so far. If I forgot something, feel free to comment. I'll make the poll right after christmas.

* skaven (clanrats, assassins, rat ogres, seer)
* chaos (beastmen, warriors, warlocks, dwarves)
* dragonkin (kobolds, lizardmen, fimir, dragons, lizard shaman)
* vampires / werewolves / bats / goth stuff ...
* Ogres

Should I make a different poll selection for each type of monster per faction? I think that would be easiest, but allows you to pick multiple options, so we'd have to decide on how many options from the poll we'd pick.
Alternatively, I could make a poll for just the factions first, and then another to pick the favourite monsters from each faction.
There's also the idea of adding a few unique monsters, such as the Wizards of Morcar, Avatars of the Chaos Gods etc.

The thing is, I want to try to limit the amount of new factions to 2, and the new monsters in each faction to perhaps 3 or 4. (example: undead = skeleton / zombie / mummy, greenskins = goblins / orcs / fimir, so 3 seems to be a good number)
But if everyone choses very differently, we might end up with 10 votes on everything :P

What's your thought? CP seems to have good ideas on how to create polls? GK / KK, what's your thought on this?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Poll] 2. Which monster factions do we want in HQ25?

Postby knightkrawler » December 22nd, 2013, 6:54 am

2 new factions with 3 or 4 new monsters each, exactly as suggested.
If mor than two subplots are involved, which is more than likely, the old factions can still be used. Undead, Orcs, Chaos...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 22nd, 2013, 6:59 am

If we are going to do two distinct groups I agree 3 (max 4 IF even!) is good. This is the amount the official releases gave us. Two groups gives us 6-8 new monsters which is more than enough in my opinion.
Remember that people need to get the minis. The more you add, the more minis. I'm also of the opinion that a few well thought out monsters is better than a large bunch of random monsters. I'd say 2x3 monsters :)

If the poll opens after Christmas, let's open up for final suggestions on monster groups. If there are any suggestions NOW is the time to post them.

I think two votes on two factions makes most sense.
Let's do a theme vote first.
Then open 2 threads (one for each faction) where we run wild with monster creation, rules, stats etc.
When we've exhausted all our ideas we see if there is a general consensus (lol, as if!) or if a vote is needed. A separate poll for each faction.

Slightly off-topic here:
Once we have the theme, writing a story will be easier. From there we follow KK's layout somewhat (I've switched it around a bit).
My main change is that I don't think you can really write the actual quests before the content (stats, rules, spells, new traps etc.) is done.
Monsters (almost there) → Story → Content → Quests → Edit → Playtesting → Re-edit

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 22nd, 2013, 7:07 am

Also, what I'd like to add, it's important to me that Fimir are not Greenskins. I'm very anal about that.
I see them as the stronger race working alongside the Kobolds toward that plot-thing we still have to agree on.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged for link
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » December 22nd, 2013, 7:50 am

knightkrawler wrote:Also, what I'd like to add, it's important to me that Fimir are not Greenskins. I'm very anal about that.
I see them as the stronger race working alongside the Kobolds toward that plot-thing we still have to agree on.

Feel free to use them with kobolds as lizardmen or w/e, you're free to use base game models anywhere if it fits your story.
But HQ gave us the fimir as greenskins (the models themselves were green). 3 greens, 3 white undeads, some grey overseer chaos warriors and 1 warlock. The gargoyle is like a special boss mostly, he can be used in any way appropriate.

So in that light I'd propose 3 skaven monsters (brown: clanrats, rat ogres, a possible third and the grey seer as a special boss) and 3 chaos monsters (grey: chaos warrior (exists), chaos beastmen (new), and chaos dwarves (new), plus the existing warlock as a special boss)
With the WoM models, the orc shaman is obviously the greenskin special, the other three can be used for any boss in any quest where appropriate as well.
I'd also like to see regular ogres in there somewhere, but I'm not sure how they could fit in. Perhaps as bodyguards / elite soldiers for some faction. Or in a little "side" quest..
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 22nd, 2013, 8:08 am

Fimirs are described as reptilian (NOT greenskin related!), but sometimes leads small warbands of O&G. In warhammer lore they are not even green, but brownish/tan.
So yeah, in HQ they go together with greenskins as a theme, but they would fit in very well with kobolds too.

Anyways... There is no need to discuss specific compositions at this point in my opinion. A general description what can be expected is enough.
Once we decide on the groups we can start narrowing down what to include in greater details.

I would like to re-suggest a magical creatures theme which could include: Chimera, Spirits, not-displacer beast, not-beholder, imps, gorgons, cockatrice.
In short a theme revolving around MP, spells and magic abilities..
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » December 22nd, 2013, 11:25 am

I think a week is enough to wait for more suggestions... One week for the suggestions and one week for the poll

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 22nd, 2013, 11:49 am

Suggestions are open until Sjeng creates the poll after Christmas. Easy as that.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby MrBigB » December 22nd, 2013, 1:14 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Also, what I'd like to add, it's important to me that Fimir are not Greenskins. I'm very anal about that.

Came here to says exactly this. As an original HQ race Fimir can/should be mixed in with all the other stuff, but them paired with kobolds sounds awesome. For a third creature in the group what if there was some large lizard beast thing along the lines of the Giant Wolves? Like a larger/meaner/faster version of a Komodo dragon.

Just something to break up the minion<warrior<mage framework :2cents:.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » December 22nd, 2013, 1:20 pm

I'm all for more Fimir representation!

Also, Beastmen:

Image.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming