• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Poll] 1. Choose your monsters for the 25th Quest Pack

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

What monsters would you like to see in the new 25th Quest Pack?

Stick to base set. Everything must be done with quest notes and original minis. From here, go wild!
17%
Stick to base set, but create a couple of "official" variant monster types with special rules/stats (e.g. orc berserker, goblin archer etc)
19%
Create one or two new sets of monsters that go beyond the minis available in the base set, but fit the theme (beastmen, chaos dwarves etc.)
38%
Free for all - Official edition. Use whatever official HQ material exists, including the magazine quests (ogres/skaven/trolls)
18%
Free for all - Do whatever you want with monsters. Add what you feel is fitting.
8%

Total votes : 72

Re: Choose your monsters for the 25th Quest Pack

Postby wolfie907 » December 10th, 2013, 4:07 am

+1 for kobolds I always liked those little guys and I recently got a cool mageborn one with wings in the stonehaven gnome kickstarter

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » December 10th, 2013, 7:27 am

Reaper Bones had plenty of Kobolds in the Vampire pack. I'm all for it :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 10th, 2013, 9:51 am

I like kobolds!
I'm all for creating a non-warhammer group of monsters

Someone please define kobold though, as they vary a lot in different media.
The only consistent thing seems to be that they hate sunlight and live in underground caves.
Besides that I don't know...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » December 10th, 2013, 10:22 am

My version of kobold:
It is a goblin-kin, except a little reptile-like (goblin with scaly skin and a longer nose/mouth area)
I have always seen kobolds as natural spell-casters - not arcane, but natural magic ability with very
limited spells - maybe two or three at most per kobold, with only a variety of maybe 6 among ALL kobolds.
(I get this from the old computer game Quest for Glory 1 - the kobold in there had a spell or two - that was
my first encounter with a kobold and it has stuck since then).

As a natural magical ability, a lot of defenses that work against spells would not help, and offenses that take
spell away would not work, either..
Last edited by Daedalus on January 24th, 2015, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged for link

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 10th, 2013, 11:28 am

Reading a bit up on kobolds got my ideas running.

Kobold Warriors
A1(or 2?) D2 BP1 MP2 M7
Overwhelm: Can combine attacks into a single attack. Maybe wield spears?

Kobold Assassin
A2 D3 BP3 MP3 M7
Option 1: Ambush: When "discovered" the models aren't placed until Morcar's turn. (Unless a hero searches for traps perhaps?)
Option 2: Vanish: If alive at the start of Morcar's turn you may remove this model from the board. At the beginning of any of Morcar's subsequent turns it may be placed anywhere on the board and may take it's turn as normal. Any lost BP remains lost when removing the model from the board.

Kobold Sorcerer
A2 D2 BP4 MP4 M6
I suggest just creating a magic deck for him to use

If we go kobolds we NEED to come up with a few new traps. This thread might be relevant:
http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11&start=10.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 24th, 2015, 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged for link and old link to moved thread reset

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » December 10th, 2013, 12:39 pm

-I prefer daggers but with spear too it would be ok (less dangerous but not much easier). I believe that diagonal attack for the "Overwhelm" skill is necessary. And keep 1 attack die, 2 is OP for a 3-feet monster (yes, i read about kobolds in my DnD Monstrous manual book :p hehe!)

-Option 1 of assassin is GREAT! I support it. Maybe when ambushing to not let the heroes defend themselves? Otherwise 2 attack dice are weak. I know, the advantage of being hidden (and alive!) till morcar's turn is great but a full-equiped hero afraids of nothing if he suddenly has to defend a hit of..2 dice. Your thoughts?

-A deck for sorcerer..yeap i think it's better than the random chaos spells (including a "summon kobolds" skill, it's a must card :twisted: my favourite!)

Isn't Movement: 6/7 too low? I believe this race should be faster than orcs...
Last edited by Daedalus on January 24th, 2015, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » December 10th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Sorry, I don't know how to resize a linked image to be smaller. :oops:

In my head, kobolds are aggressive and xenophobic reptilian creatures of the dark with a stature on par with goblins (as demonstrated below), with a renown for ambushes and building traps. The grunts are known to use hit-and-run tactics as they are supported by ranged slingers, crossbowmen, or spearthrowers. And if available, a shaman's spells. They also prefer to start an ambush with ranged attacks before being forced into melee range.

They commonly have weasels or boars as pets and guards. Kobolds are distantly related to dragons and as such, revere them as gods. They are a tribal culture, and usually each tribe is led by a shaman who can cast magic. Collectively, they can be assembled and led by more powerful Fimir. They are industrious miners for the large part, and if left to their own devices can carve out massive tunnel complexes, which they rapidly fill to accommodate thanks to their rapid rate of reproduction - which would explain their use as cannon fodder enemies. They do also have specialized professions like warriors and trapmakers. Because of their mining knack, they prefer their living environments to be dark, damp underground lairs and sometimes overgrown forests.

Kobolds are omnivores with no scruples about what or who they eat. They can digest bark, dirt, leather, eggshells, or their own younger siblings if they're desperate enough.

Kobold Warrior:
Movement: 10
Attack Dice: 1 (1 ranged)
Defend Dice: 2
Body Points: 1
Mind Points: 2
Edited to add: Can combine attacks into a single attack.

Kobold Shaman:
Movement: 9
Attack Dice: 1 (1 diagonal)
Defend Dice: 2
Body Points: 1
Mind Points: 4

Kobold Shamans know the Chaos Spells Fear, Rust, and Lightning Bolt. In addition, they know the following new spell deck:

Kobold Shaman Spells:
Dragon Bolt
This spell may be cast on any one Hero. A bolt of energy shaped in the form of a dragon fires from the fingertips of the shaman and deals 3 Body Points of damage. For each White Shield rolled in defense, the damage is reduced by 1 point.

Befuddle
This spell may be cast on any one Hero, causing his mind to get very foggy and sluggish. The Hero rolls two red die. If he fails to roll under his Mind Points value, he loses his next turn.

Sharpen Blades
This spell causes the weapons of every Kobold in this room to roll one extra combat dice on their next attack. This spell cannot be cast in corridors.

New Trap Tiles:
Toothy Trap
This trap is set inside empty treasure chests. If a Hero searches for treasure in a room with a chest trapped in this manner without first searching for and Disarming the trap, the chest's lid opens to reveal a set of sharp teeth that does 1 Body Point of damage to an adjacent Hero (even diagonally) on every turn while there are Heroes present in the room.

Catapult Trap
This trap is triggered when a Hero steps on the trapped square without first searching for and Disarming the trap. The catapult activates and flings the Hero in the direction they were moving. The Hero is thrown in a straight line until he hits a wall, taking 3 Body Points of damage, which cannot be defended against. He is tossed over the heads of other Heroes and monsters.

Some parts of the above taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold_(Dungeons_&_Dragons).
Last edited by Daedalus on January 25th, 2015, 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » December 10th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Yeah, I guess they are agile little critters. Let's bump up the movement.

In a way I don't think spears (A2) are too OP if you take into account that:
1) Heroes will buy armor
2) Heroes will often slay at LEAST one enemy in a newly discovered area
3) If you compare it to A1 who would need a group of like 5-6? to be a real threat?

Assassins should perhaps have A3?
Or maybe a strong A4 the first time they attack when ambushing.

I strongly think that the sorcerer/shaman should get an entire deck of ~8 new original spells. Make it like the Wizards of Morcar spells. Some more ideas:
Darkness: All heroes movement are halved until the beginning of Morcar's next turn.
Trickery: A single monster can't be harmed or targeted for one round.
Conceal: Choose a discovered room or corridor. No traps can be found in that room/corridor for the rest of the game. They can still be activated though.
Wil'o'Wisp: You may move an hero up to 5 squares. He may open doors, but can't attack, use spells or potions. Activating a trap will end the spell.
Create Pit: You may place a pit on a square anywhere within LoS of the caster. Anyone standing on that square automatically falls into the pit.
Withdraw: May be cast during a hero's turn. Must be cast on a monster targeted by an attack or spell. That monster may move up to 5 squares. If he can move out of attack range (or LoS in case of a spell) the attack is wasted..
Last edited by Daedalus on January 25th, 2015, 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » December 10th, 2013, 1:37 pm

I see many good ideas like the spells of GK, but in my opinion kobolds are fine for our homemade quests. This time we supposed to do something that looks like an official expansion from GW. Actually the 3rd option of the poll says “Create one or two new sets of monsters that go beyond the minis available in the base set, but fit the theme (beastmen, chaos dwarves etc.)”, obviously talks about monsters from the warhammer world.

I was thinking for a project about creating tutorials for how to make it all, even the box, directions to buy the official minis, etc. Monsters from other world settings are fine but you can’t say it could be an official expansion for HQ in any way.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » December 10th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Yeah, I guess they are agile little critters. Let's bump up the movement.

In a way I don't think spears (A2) are too OP if you take into account that:
1) Heroes will buy armor
2) Heroes will often slay at LEAST one enemy in a newly discovered area
3) If you compare it to A1 who would need a group of like 5-6? to be a real threat?

Assassins should perhaps have A3?
Or maybe a strong A4 the first time they attack when ambushing.

I originally had my version of the warriors have A2 D3 and BP2.

I strongly think that the sorcerer/shaman should get an entire deck of ~8 new original spells. Make it like the Wizards of Morcar spells. Some more ideas:
Darkness: All heroes movement are halved until the beginning of Morcar's next turn.
Trickery: A single monster can't be harmed or targeted for one round.
Conceal: Choose a discovered room or corridor. No traps can be found in that room/corridor for the rest of the game. They can still be activated though.
Wil'o'Wisp: You may move an hero up to 5 squares. He may open doors, but can't attack, use spells or potions. Activating a trap will end the spell.
Create Pit: You may place a pit on a square anywhere within LoS of the caster. Anyone standing on that square automatically falls into the pit.
Withdraw: May be cast during a hero's turn. Must be cast on a monster targeted by an attack or spell. That monster may move up to 5 squares. If he can move out of attack range (or LoS in case of a spell) the attack is wasted.

Combining these six spells with my three gives us a complete suite for a spell deck.

Fun fact: I originally thought up spell ideas just as you had for both Create Pit and Darkness (mine was Smoke) but scrapped both later. :).
Last edited by Daedalus on January 25th, 2015, 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming