• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Poll] 1. Choose your monsters for the 25th Quest Pack

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

What monsters would you like to see in the new 25th Quest Pack?

Stick to base set. Everything must be done with quest notes and original minis. From here, go wild!
17%
Stick to base set, but create a couple of "official" variant monster types with special rules/stats (e.g. orc berserker, goblin archer etc)
19%
Create one or two new sets of monsters that go beyond the minis available in the base set, but fit the theme (beastmen, chaos dwarves etc.)
38%
Free for all - Official edition. Use whatever official HQ material exists, including the magazine quests (ogres/skaven/trolls)
18%
Free for all - Do whatever you want with monsters. Add what you feel is fitting.
8%

Total votes : 72

Re: Choose your monsters for the 25th Quest Pack

Postby wolfie907 » December 8th, 2013, 3:37 am

theres a clear favorite already changing the way poll is scored is not gonna matter 3 is the clear front runner

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » December 8th, 2013, 3:50 am

I think we should go for All official monsters (base set + expansions + magazines) and the 1 or 2 chaos factions, like chaos dwarves and chaos beastmen in addition to the warriors and sorcerer. (options 3 and 4)
And there is also a want for a few variations, such as goblin archers (option 2), but I think we should restrict those to a chosen few.

May I suggest:
Goblin archers and spearmen (models available)
Orc elite warriors / black orcs (stick a shield on them)
Skeleton archers
Fimir Shaman (with spell cards)

That's about all I'd add, unless someone has a brilliant idea to add. The skaven might have a few addons, but skaven can already attack both ranged and adjacent, there's a mage (white seer) and rat ogres. Should be plenty.

Do you think we can go with these choices for now? I'd like people to start posting quests :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 8th, 2013, 5:29 am

chaoticprime wrote:If we can vote multiple times, that nullifies the votes for one person who wants one choice multiple times. This poll is radically flawed, and cannot result in a fair decision. It mixes second and third priorities into a priority one position.

I'll agree this is an actual concern, BUT... People knew (or should have) that each vote counts equally.
It might be lowest denominator, but the result clearly points at option 3.
The poll was a way for us to keep moving despite having different opinions on what to do.
I really don't think we should go back to discussing options at this point.

As far as I'm concerned we should simply move to the next phase and start deciding and designing the new monster group.
(or let the poll run the two weeks, but I don't really see the result changing in any significant way)

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I really want to start to make content too, but working on many different creative projects have taught me that the best way really is the pyramid-method. Start by building the foundation...
The process should be:

1) Decide what to do with monsters (almost there)
2) Decide which monsters to use → make stats + skills (icons for HeroScribe?)
3) Design any new content to be commonly used throughout the pack. Spells, overlays, special mechanics (ie. Ogre horde had a new trap type)
4) Flesh out how the new monsters fit into the story where
5) Make actual quests!

I find it hard to make a quest if I don't have all the pieces available from start.
Should I leave this room empty for some yet undecided monsters?
Would I have to redo the whole thing to take some new mechanic into account?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » December 8th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Goblin-King wrote:The process should be:

1) Decide what to do with monsters (almost there)
2) Decide which monsters to use → make stats + skills (icons for HeroScribe?)
3) Design any new content to be commonly used throughout the pack. Spells, overlays, special mechanics (ie. Ogre horde had a new trap type)
4) Flesh out how the new monsters fit into the story where
5) Make actual quests!

I find it hard to make a quest if I don't have all the pieces available from start.
Should I leave this room empty for some yet undecided monsters?
Would I have to redo the whole thing to take some new mechanic into account?

I agree 100% with GK. We don't have to do it fast... We should gather all the details first.

We should make an expansion exactly as we are expecting to be if GW designs it, so we have to choose a specific collection of monsters to use. Probably it could be something like 6 skaven warriors, 2 rat ogres, 1 white seer in the box. That’s enough for an expansion of 10 missions. If all go well, we will continue with others, but for now one type of monsters is enough.

About the chaos dwarfs, I don't like the idea because are not so easy to find them on ebay. (Although this can be a good opportunity to buy them, so it's ok if you choose them)

But I prefer the skavens because we already have their original stats (http://www.yeoldeinn.com/hqforum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1627&p=26594#p18889) and if you try them you'll see that their melee attacks are low but their ranged attacks can cause some serious damage to the heroes.

For example, as you can see bellow, if the Hero can’t kill the skaven, at the next round he lead him to an ambush. Even if he steps back, he will take only one melee attack but all the skavens are going to hit.
Last edited by Patroclus on June 25th, 2014, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » December 8th, 2013, 5:26 pm

I understand the reasoning behind the suggested "new" monsters - probably because there are minis out there to
fit the monster.

I personally would like to see something other than "beastmen" and "chaos dwarves" - somehow that just doesn't
give me enough variety and newness. Goblin archers and orc warriors, for example (even the published black
orcs) - it is basically just a small variation on something already there.

Of course, I won't stop backing this project or stop helping this project - and I'll be very happy with what comes
out as the result of this project...

I just wanted to put my :2cents: in there, is all.

(sorry if this comes a little late in the show - I was on vacation all last week)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 8th, 2013, 6:13 pm

No actual monsters have been decided yet, so feel free to pitch your ideas. Do you have anything particular in mind?

I'd say though, to me it doesn't matter much if we call it skaven, chaos dwarfs or interdimensional hotdog stalkers.
What really matters most is that they bring some new mechanics to the table. The original monsters represent different variations of stats well enough.
Nobody want a new monster that is basically just an orc with a different model.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 9th, 2013, 8:01 am

Don't forget the ogres! I almost did xD
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sotiris » December 9th, 2013, 11:08 am

I would like to see a new race (you decide if you like it) with the following stats:

- Warrior Class
Body: 1
Mind: 1
Attack: 1(+range)
Defense: 2
Movement: 9
Ability: can combine its attack with other monsters of the same race

- Mage Class
Body: 1
Mind: 3
Attack: 1 (+diagonal)
Defense: 2
Movement: 7
Ability: draw 1 (and only) random chaos spell (choose your limitations/modifications, examples: cannot use mass spells, summon orcs/undeads->summon its race monsters)

If these monsters were skavens for example in Patroclus' photo 4, barbarian would take 2 hits: the first with 2 dice and the second with 3 (or reversed).
Another hard scenario: imagine a hero who opens a door and finds 1 mage+5 warriors. If he stays behind the door by doing nothing or something else which not affects monsters, on Morcar's turn the warriors will combine their attacks to a single 5-dice attack and the mage will probably cast his spell upon the hero.
Ogres and Chaos Warriors are dangerous anyway (either confronting one of them either a horde), Goblins are exactly the opposite. But this kind of monster is as dangerous/difficult as their horde size (thanks to their skills)..
Last edited by Daedalus on January 24th, 2015, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged for link
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » December 9th, 2013, 5:41 pm

@ Sotiris:
That would be your typical Kobolds as produced by D&D Minis and Reaper (Bones and Metal)..
Last edited by Daedalus on January 24th, 2015, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » December 10th, 2013, 3:27 am

Kobolds?? Nice crocodiles! :D
If that fits i vote for them.
The 1 attack die (+range) becomes from the 'unlimited" supply of daggers..
Last edited by Daedalus on January 24th, 2015, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming