• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby TMU » December 8th, 2013, 5:09 am

Should we make another thread for it 'cause I have no idea who has chosen what :P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » December 8th, 2013, 5:11 am

Already did that.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby MrBigB » December 8th, 2013, 6:57 am

TMU wrote:Let's start with that wich one you want to do, okay? I could go with Q2-Q3. Sjeng would you edit the names to the end of the quests we make? ;)

I've got a 2 part quest almost done that I was making for q2-q3. Did you already have something made or in mind?
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » December 8th, 2013, 7:29 am

Noup, you do it then, that's what I meant not knowing who is doing what :D

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Balinor » December 9th, 2013, 12:28 am

I don't have champion status, but I would love to be involved in this project.

I have a few opinions and suggestions for this project and would be willing to help with editing and continuity of the adventures and related stories.
First the easy ones
- I agree the logo should be silver and include the 25 below the skull and also printed small on the play side of each card in the expansion(s)
- I feel that 25 quest is a bit much for one full expansion but not for 4 or 5 related expansions or quest paths.
- I feel that a story arch should be presented and agreed upon before the adventures are written to allow for some initial continuity from the start.
- I think that by breaking the expansion down to 4 or 5 quest paths will allow for differing themes between them which eventually tie together and allow for more diversity in the 25 over all quest.
- I voted new monsters and I feel that paper miniatures should be included in the expansion for people who don't have the money or desire to buy new minis just to play can still experience the expansion in all its glory.
- I feel that since all of the official expansions are available for free download that all rules and items should be allowed in the expansion, including mercenaries since we could just as easily put a page of print and play paper minis for them in the expansion.
- I agree with the expansion focusing on the children of the original heroes "25 years ago your parents answered the call of need, and if they were not gone or past the age of helping I know they would answer again. Therefore it is with a heavy heart that I come to you the heirs of your parents fame to help our Kingdom when it's in it's greatest need!"
- Since this is written by Heroquest fans for Heroquest fans which by the way are the same people. <-- see what I did there. Then we should try to accommodate everyone, by allowing the quest paths to include the most popular choices of enemies. No real need to limit it to just one type of new creature or group of creatures.

Which brings me to my own suggestions for the expansion outline:
Q1-4: Saving the City. During the peace of the past 25 years the village has grown to a prospering hub of commerce. What once was a small village(1 board) is now a vibrant and growing town(4 boards). Our heroes either by regrouping after an invasion of upon request from the emperor are charged with the task of ridding the 4 quadrants of town from evil invaders and reuniting the town guard, and establishing peace again.
One benefit here is the characters will save towns folk, when they visit the armory and alchemist shops they will have net perhaps even saved the vendors child or some such. Making the need for the quest more important than a group of random events to find a bad guy.

Q5-8: During the town invasion the city guard were able to capture and interrogate one of the invaders, learning that the invading force was trying to take control of the towns folk for both slavery and to divert incoming supplies to their army, the heroes must travel to their stronghold, a small cave located on the outskirts of one quadrant of town to put a stop to the invaders. Only when they reach the final area do they discover that the protagonist is actually a servant of one of the gods of chaos, and that the other three gods are also hard at work creating a threat to the town. (Skavens, undead, orc and goblin kind what ever for this quest theme)

Q9-12: Following a lead from clues they discovered the heroes find an entrance to some catacombs below an old mine in another quadrant of town. They delve deep to conquer the second chaos god representative who has taken control of a chaos dwarf army preparing for their own invasion upon the surface dwellers.

Q13-16: The clues continue as the heroes are led to an old crypt that leads to a dungeon full of an impending undead army under the control of the third representative of the gods.

Q17-20: The final clues the heroes have been able to find lead them to an old mire on the outskirts of the final quadrant of town, where a lizard man army with a dragon general are led by the fourth representative of the gods.

Q21-25: The final representative begs for his forsaken soul and reveals that once centuries ago this whole area was a city of the damned inhabited by the four gods themselves. Their corporeal forms are still bound to the ruined city buried deep beneath the existing town and they have enslaved the representatives to build an army to destroy the friendly surface races and find a way to release them from imprisonment. Each of the four previous dungeons has a secret entrance to a quadrant of the ancient evil city and the heroes must decend again to the bottom of each to defeat the four gods, discovering 4 artifacts needed to open a passage to the final level where the magic that imprisons the gods must be destroyed in a holy fashion in turn destroying the souls of the gods.

To be fair I have no information about the four gods of Chaos from the Warhammer universe. The ideas above could be tailored to most any circumstance and would allow for bouncing between quest path to get keys or artifacts needed to proceed lower creating a lot more diversity during the adventures and making it so that each could have a easy to hard level advancement and not have to be played in a linear fashion.

These are my ideas, let me know what you think.

And again I would be happy to help in any way, including paying someone to make a special box and printed version of the expansion for me when it's done :) actually I'd buy two just so I could keep one sealed for my kid to own someday.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 4th, 2015, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag
Balinor

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 9th, 2013, 5:21 am

Hmm, multiple quest paths might be just what we need here...

Q1: village raided bij lesser evil, heroes only survivors, must work together. At the end contacted by Mentor.
Q2-Q3: followup quests where our heroes find out that the lesser evil is commanded by greater evil.
At the end of Q3 the party must choose what path to follow:

Q4-Q8: path 1: follow the Skaven lead
Q9-Q13: path 2: follow the chaos lead
Q14-Q18: path 3: follow the greenskins lead

Undead mixed in everywhere, as the greater evil surely will have necromancers.
Players can choose to take just 1 path, or simply play all three.
After they find out the greater scheme of things, Mentor tells them there are artefacts that can defeat the greater Evil.

Q19: Go find artefact A (greenskin caves/mines? dwarf artefact)
Q20: Go find artefact B (skaven sewers? wizard artefact)
Q21: Go find artefact C (chaos beastmen woods? elf artefact)
Q22: Go find artefact D (undead crypts? barbarian artefact)
Q23: Find forgotten dwarven forge in chaos dwarven territory to combine artefacts into superweapon
Q24: Find secret lair of greater Evil
Q25: Defeat greater Evil

Just my ideas.

We can always make printing templates for paper minis, cards, even a box, as long as it's fanmade with a disclaimer as usual :)

edit: just read above post a bit better, and I like the 4 chaos gods idea :)
Last edited by Daedalus on February 4th, 2015, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby MrBigB » December 9th, 2013, 6:03 am

That ties a lot of the ideas we've been tossing around really well. I'm impressed :shock:
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 9th, 2013, 7:58 am

Thanks ^^

I tried incorporating as many ideas as possible.
Although I like the town ideas our newest participant Balinor has, I'm not fond of 4-board quests.
I would like to add villagers though, that could possibly help out the heroes later on, in the form of merchants, alchemists, armorsmiths etc.
They could "pass through" town inbetween several quests (not all), if only in flavor text, and buy/sell stuff.
Oh and hire mercenaries too, why not.

In our story, the Skaven could be tied to the chaos god Nurgle, as they spread plague and disease. White Seer as boss?
The Greenskins could be tied to Khorne, as they are bloodthirsty monsters. Gargoyle as Greater Bloodthirster demon boss? Use it as an actual Demon this once :) add in the WoM Orc shaman somewhere.
The Chaos warriors/beastmen could be tied to Slaanesh, maybe add in a succubus or something. Female chaos sorceress?
Finally the undead could be tied to Tzeentch, being magic and all, fitting for necromancers. Use the WoM necromancer as the evil boss.

We could also use Ogres in the Khorne quests (or as bodyguards here and there in any quest).
There should be ogres in the final quests as well. Big baddies are always fun!

I tried to avoid the NA expansions Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror though, as those are extremely rare and expensive.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 4th, 2015, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » December 9th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Sjeng wrote:I tried to avoid the NA expansions Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror though, as those are extremely rare and expensive.

Yeah, Sjeng. Some of us have been wise enough to not get involved with wifes and babies, so they have money for their own hobbies ;)

Rewards:
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ampersand » December 10th, 2013, 5:11 pm

just thought id post this up as some inspiration
https://sites.google.com/site/thedarkstonetrilogy/

its in french i think. but excellently presented. something to aspire towards i think guys?

:)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext