• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby MrBigB » December 3rd, 2013, 2:28 am

Ok I'm late to the party (story of my life) but I'm 110% in for this!... now I just need to catch up on the last 12 pages of the thread.

:2cents: There were some AWESOME ideas right out of the gate being posted (kids or relatives of the original Heros, Village getting raided as a first level, list goes on and on)

... has there been anything set in stone yet? Any chance of a re-cap of whats been decided so far?

PS, maybe the new heros are having a brew at Ye Olde Inn when the town gets raided?
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » December 3rd, 2013, 3:32 am

Recap as I remember it...

Several versions of an anniversary logo has been made. I think we agree on the HQ skull in the middle. It should be silver.
Questions are if 25 should stay and which kind of leaves should surround it. (12 pages in and we haven't even fully decided on a logo :lol:)

Then we have discussed which monsters should be included and how.
Should we allow monsters not easily represented by the original game?
Skaven, Chaos and Chaos Dwarfs are what have mostly been mentioned?
Nowhere near a conclusion!

Everyone seems okay with adding new print-able material (book, cards, overlays)

Lots of ideas have been thrown around - read the thread for more details.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby MrBigB » December 3rd, 2013, 6:28 am

Ok now that I'm all caught up here are a couple votes:

logo: If it's something that gets added to maps/cards/printables, simpler will look cleaner and more professional. The skull with the 25 (or perhaps "25th"?) and basic leaves in silver would look awesome on cards and the like.

Monsters: I'm a big fan of using the basic set as the basis for the bulk of the monsters (mainly because that's all I have) but if we go with the print and play option for additional creatures, folks could get up and playing a lot faster then having to go out and buy sets of minis to augment their collection just to play the expansion. That's not to say folks couldn't do that, it just wouldn't be mandatory. The other nice thing about print and play? If a level calls for 20 skeletons; print 2 pages and done.

Skaven: I've never been a huge fan of them, but when explained as raiding the village to steal children in an opening level they just seemed right. Rats stealing kids. If that doesn't scream for a hero to rise up to fight evil I don't know what will.

Chaos Dwarves: ... maybe in the right context? Just seems... silly. But I will admit I'm not well steeped in all the Warhammer mythos, so take my indifference with a grain of salt.

Chaos in general: when then idea was first put up to structure the expansion around Chaos, specifically the 4 chaos warriors, it just rang perfect, true, and pure HeroQuest. Can't express my love for this idea enough.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 3rd, 2015, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » December 3rd, 2013, 8:03 am

The logo on cards too? hmm... not a bad idea... not 100% conviced though. On the quest covers, yes definitely.

I'd like to make several chapters, each one with 3~4 quests and a special illustrated cover. Credits inside each, with the makers nicknames. Logo on the cover.
Big Ye Olde Inn credits page at the back and logo on the bookcover (very first 25th anniversary HQ fanmade questpack cover)

I'm going to have to write up my ideas soon. I've plenty of storyline ideas. From the heroes first "finding" eachother, teaming up, discovering some dark plot, discovering who are behind all this, skaven quests, chaos quests, regular monsters from the core set quests... A certain goblin monarch, an orcish bard and a snöttliing. Whoo! Exciting stuff!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 3rd, 2013, 9:46 am

Chaos Dwarfs are anything but silly!
Basically they were a group of dwarfs exploring new lands and settled down far away.
Then came the tide of chaos which twisted the dwarfs. They corrupted and became adept evil magic users. Sorcerers rule by pure might.
They mostly stay in their own dark ash-filled land, centered by a mighty Ziggurat, topped by a temple where they offer slaves to their dark god Hashut.
They raid the surrounding lands for slaves which toils endlessly in their mines and factories. Sometimes they will trade with Goblin slave traders.

You think these guys are just freakin' around?
Last edited by Daedalus on February 3rd, 2015, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby MrBigB » December 3rd, 2013, 1:21 pm

Sjeng wrote:The logo on cards too? hmm... not a bad idea... not 100% conviced though. On the quest covers, yes definitely.

Just like a small simple stamp to go in the corner to separate it from the original cards. We could do a larger version with more text/color and the inn logo for the credits page of chapters. I'll try and throw something together to post. :)

Someone put out the idea of 25 quest for the whole thing. Can't believe how long it took me to get the significance of that number :roll: time for more coffee.

Lastly,
Goblin-King wrote:Chaos Dwarfs are anything but silly!
Basically they were a group of dwarfs exploring new lands and settled down far away.
Then came the tide of chaos which twisted the dwarfs. They corrupted and became adept evil magic users. Sorcerers rule by pure might.
They mostly stay in their own dark ash-filled land, centered by a mighty Ziggurat, topped by a temple where they offer slaves to their dark god Hashut.
They raid the surrounding lands for slaves which toils endlessly in their mines and factories. Sometimes they will trade with Goblin slave traders.

Wow thanks for the lesson and pics! I'm still on the fence though. They'd be perfect for a smaller dwarf expansion like someone suggested! But to be honest they feel a little too Warhammer-ish and not enough HeroQuest-ish for a 25th spectacular (don't hate me!).
Last edited by Daedalus on February 3rd, 2015, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » December 3rd, 2013, 1:38 pm

I would avoid additional monsters and just go full throttle on creativity and unique quests.
Each quest creator could include special rules, and his own cards and stuff, which one person could make the pdf's from if the creator can't do it himself.
Then one of us could name, edit, and word all rules coherently - I could do that - and compile a glossary.
Also, an additional pdf file with new cards pre-sorted according to the quests to download.
On these cards, I would abandon the 25 logo, but rather print the creator's and the quest's name.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Schmidt » December 3rd, 2013, 2:05 pm

by MrBigB » Today, 2:28 am
... now I just need to catch up on the last 12 pages of the thread.

by MrBigB » Today, 6:28 am
Ok now that I'm all caught up....

Slow reader? ;)

I would say stay true to the original minis. The Kaos theme sounds great. There was not enough Chaos in the EU version(missing spells), and I think the Chaos Sorcerer should have a major part in this(the mini is mostly used for a stand in for other characters). Not to turn this into a Zelda game, but I like the idea of finding an artifact / weapon to kill one mini boss :chaoswarrior: and then moving on to the next objective and then finally in quest 25 facing the Kaos Sorcerer.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 3rd, 2015, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 3rd, 2013, 2:24 pm

New monsters? Pros and cons - By Goblin-King

Pros:
New monsters are exciting!!!
Opportunity to implement new mechanics (attacks, skills, spells) as a red thread throughout the quests (As opposed to random free for all)
Opportunity to make anniversary minis
Can give the campaign a unique flavor

Cons:
People might not have the needed minis
And might not care to buy them
You can't simply print'n'play
That's basically it I think...?

So is it time to just put it to a vote and get moving?
It feels like we are beginning to run in circles...

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » December 3rd, 2013, 4:21 pm

Goblin-King wrote:So is it time to just put it to a vote and get moving?
It feels like we are beginning to run in circles...

Sjeng should do it since it's his thread. But yes, it's time for a poll.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming