• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Sjeng » November 29th, 2013, 9:33 am

Goblin-King wrote:I've been pondering my own questions and more, so here is what I think:

I think I'm mostly a fan of starting out fresh with 4 new heroes rather than pulling the old ones out of retirement.
Mentor could make references to the heroes of olde that saved the Emperoe at Kellars Keep and later defeated the Witch King.
That way you can just start playing without having to go through the game system AGAIN!

That was my intention. 4 NEW heroes, zero equipment other than basic starting stuff, but the original 4 classes/minis. You start fresh, with the minis included in the base game.

I'm working on my ideas, which include C'thulhu worshippers ;)
Last edited by Daedalus on February 1st, 2015, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Road Warrior » November 29th, 2013, 9:38 am

Goblin-King wrote:I've been pondering my own questions and more, so here is what I think:

I think I'm mostly a fan of starting out fresh with 4 new heroes rather than pulling the old ones out of retirement.

Just because the intro I wrote uses the original Heroes it doesn't mean the Heroes have to be fully equipped characters who have played through the original quests.

Think of it like this: Mentor isn't necessarily talking to the Heroes. ;)

Goblin-King wrote:Strangely enough there hasn't really been a dedicated chaos pack. Game system is pretty all-around. KK is orcs'n'goblins and RotWK is undead.
Why not chaos?

I agree, Why not chaos :?:
Last edited by Daedalus on February 1st, 2015, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » November 29th, 2013, 9:47 am

Or maybe a prequel pack against chaos forces with heroes such as: Fellmarg, Borin, Melar and Agrain (before becomes King back in Kalos). It sounds epic to me because we heard about these legends through the quests.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 1st, 2015, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby LordZeke » November 29th, 2013, 9:54 am

Are we including all official material as fair game or only the base game?

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » November 29th, 2013, 10:26 am

Good question Zeke.
In a way I think this should be a stand alone quest pack i.e. base game + any new material made FOR this pack.
You can't expect people to own everything. This way it will probably appeal to most users.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thrawn » November 29th, 2013, 10:57 am

The Road Warrior wrote:Hmm... let me see. This is how I would perhaps handle this.

My friends, it has been far too long since last we met. For many years the Empire has lived without fear and has had no need for Heroes, as once it did.
A new age of peace and prosperity dawned as Morcar and his Legions of Chaos slunk back to the shadows from whence they came. And so your questing
lives abruptly came to an end and the Empire was free to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

So much time has passed. When first we met you were all young men, wide-eyed and green behind the ears, in the prime of your lives. Alas, now we are
all older, wiser and grey of hair. But your Heroic actions of days gone by have not been forgotten. Across all the land, wherever you have travelled, you
have all been treated in a manner appropriate to one who carries the title of Champion, as bestowed on you by the Emperor himself. And that brings me
to the reason I have summoned you all here today…

It is nigh on twenty five years since you ventured into Barak Tor and earned the title ‘Champions of the Realm’ and the Emperor has decreed a great
festival of twenty-five days and twenty-five nights, celebrating the valiant acts of bravery for which he bestowed that title upon you. Our presence has
been requested in the capital for the duration of this festival and so, at tomorrow's first light, we must set off for the glory that awaits us.

And from here the Heroes can encounter anything you want....

Or perhaps target the children of the heroes of the realm...since I think many of us will write targeting second generation HQers.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » November 29th, 2013, 11:10 am

Aaw man! The first quest should totally be monsters raiding a village at night where our four not-yet-heroes live.
They start at separate houses around the board and are forced to pick up arms and fight their way to safety where they meet up for the first time... along with a stranger with long white hair carrying a large tome...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thrawn » November 29th, 2013, 11:31 am

I think the biggest thing picking monsters to theme around, is the models in the base game. If we go outside of the base game, it opens up lots of possibilities, but within the available models, it's a lot tougher.

Goblins and Orcs:
The Base set includes: 8 orcs, 6 goblins

Goblin Variations -
Goblin Archers
Goblin Spearmen
Goblin Skulker
Goblin Shaman
Night Goblin
Night Goblin Archer
Night Goblin Fanatic
Night Goblin Shaman

Different Models
Squig Hounds (and Herders)
Squig Riders
Spider Riders
Wolf Riders
Wolves
Spiders

Orc Variations:
Black Orcs
Savage Orcs
Big-Uns
Orc Archer
Orc Warlords
Orc Shamans

Using different models:
Boars
Boar Riders
Wyvern

Undead
In the Base Set: 4 skeletons, 2 zombies, 2 mummies

Variations:
Skeleton Archers
Wights (Use skeletons)
Ghouls (Use Zombies?)
Tomb Priest (Use Mummy?)
Necromancer (Use Chaos Sorcerer)

Other Models:
Skeletal Cavalry
Wight Cavalry
Skeletal Chariots
Skeletal Dragon
Bone Giant
Vampires
Dread Wolves
Wraiths
Banshees

Chaos
In the Box: 4 chaos warriors, 1 chaos sorcerer

Variations:
Knights/Champions of each of the 4 chaos gods
Chaos Mauraders (make them weaker warriors)
Chaos sorcerers of each of the 4 gods
Lesser Bloodthirster (gargoyle actually looks like a bloodthirster)

Other Models:
Nurgle Demons (various types)
Slaasnesh Demons (various types)
Tzeenich Demons (various types)
Khorne Demons ( (various types)

So my overall conclusion is that with the built in components orcs/goblins give the most options, followed by undead. Chaos done right needs mostly outside models really, but we could do warriors/marauders around each god for specific adventures.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 1st, 2015, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » November 29th, 2013, 11:56 am

How about this, everyone that makes a quest, includes HIMSELF in to the quest. In a way or another, Wouldn't that be cool?
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Spiky » November 29th, 2013, 12:00 pm

I'm in, although I haven't written a quest since I was about 14.... :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
Spiky

Necromancer
Necromancer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming