• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Printing game cards

Tips and Tricks that don't quite fit into the above categories.

Re: Printing game cards

Postby arch8ngel » Wednesday April 24th, 2019 11:23am

clmckay wrote:
arch8ngel wrote:
clmckay wrote:I’m sorry, I don’t have the EU cards ready to print. But if you want NA format in bridge size I can get you the files already sized.

I would definitely like a set of the NA format in bridge size.

I'm planning to have them printed them on plastic, but have yet to get around to the arduous task of sizing all of the files.

Any tips on which print service to use?

I use MPC. The same as is linked to in the original post.

Good selection of card stocks and good pricing. I've not had any issues with significantly misaligned prints either, just one here or there among thousands of cards. I really like their quality too.

So, I'll upload my images later. Whoever uses them will have to select BRIDGE size, so that may be an adjustment if you're wanting mini cards or whatever size was referenced originally. Otherwise, you can literally just drop the images into their online template and they'll print fine.

Thanks! That is exactly what I'm looking for.

Bridge size is close enough to the US originals that it "feel correct".

I mainly want to get the full set plus expansions reprinted professionally so i can pack up and preserve my originals when I play, but still have professional looking cards rather than at-home prints that never "feel" right no matter how good they look.
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby clmckay » Wednesday April 24th, 2019 11:31am

That's why I use that size too. If you replace all the cards then the sizes are uniform and you never know the difference. Especially important if kids are involved. I wish there was a way to just share the set-up file. I have it laid out with all the "canon" cards including the EU only cards and new cards made for the NA equipment and potions.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » Wednesday April 24th, 2019 6:39pm

Here is the link to a ZIP file containing all the images for the canon (and a few canon add-ons).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq92k12hzxm9l ... S.zip?dl=0

I had originally had all the PSDs in this archive too, but I didn't have enough room in my DropBox for the file so I had to take them out. That makes the directory structure inside that ZIP a bit awkward looking.

Also...There's a single copy of each card, so for example, you'll need to put the image for "Wandering Monster" into the online template multiple times.

Please let me know when you've gotten the ZIP file, I'll need that space in my DropBox again soon.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » Thursday April 25th, 2019 6:37am

I knew MPC website since alot and I love their online template.
But Is there any one site that is able to make custom format cards? I tried a lot but seems no one allow to set the corrcet size of the original cards.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » Thursday April 25th, 2019 3:40pm

lestodante wrote:I knew MPC website since alot and I love their online template.
But Is there any one site that is able to make custom format cards? I tried a lot but seems no one allow to set the corrcet size of the original cards.

This site can do it, but you have to set-up your templates just right.

https://www.printplaygames.com/product/cards/

Getting both front and back lined up properly for custom sized cards is a tricky business as well.

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby arch8ngel » Thursday April 25th, 2019 5:28pm

clmckay wrote:
lestodante wrote:I knew MPC website since alot and I love their online template.

This site can do it, but you have to set-up your templates just right.

https://www.printplaygames.com/product/cards/

Getting both front and back lined up properly for custom sized cards is a tricky business as well.

I suspect that the cut quality is going to be less consistent as well.

A place like MPC has tooling for pre-sized die cutting --- the print sheets and with one press they stamp out a full sheet worth of cut cards.

The custom-sized cards are going to involve the industrial-equivalent to a Cricut (the pro-sumer version is the $1500 BossCut -- but there are 5-figure devices that sign-shops use, and that level is probably what PrintPlayGames is using).

So that means they have a device that is dragging a knife around a sheet to make "custom" cuts.
Leaves a lot more places for manufacturing error to slip in.
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby arch8ngel » Thursday April 25th, 2019 5:30pm

clmckay wrote:Here is the link to a ZIP file containing all the images for the canon (and a few canon add-ons).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq92k12hzxm9l ... S.zip?dl=0

I had originally had all the PSDs in this archive too, but I didn't have enough room in my DropBox for the file so I had to take them out. That makes the directory structure inside that ZIP a bit awkward looking.

Also...There's a single copy of each card, so for example, you'll need to put the image for "Wandering Monster" into the online template multiple times.

Please let me know when you've gotten the ZIP file, I'll need that space in my DropBox again soon.

Very much appreciated!

In terms of using MPC's website, were there any "gotchas" we need to look out for? Or with the images you provided it's more-or-less drag-and-drop?
(i.e. tedious to insert all of the cards into their site, but otherwise "just works")
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby clmckay » Thursday April 25th, 2019 5:54pm

Nope. No gotchas. Just drop them in the quantities you want, make sure you have the back matching the front and you’re good to go.

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby genaker » Sunday April 28th, 2019 3:01pm

I finally resized my images with GIMP, to fit EU mini size.

They will be a little trimmed, but I think it will be ok.

I suppose tomorrow I will get an answer form the web, I expect to be everything ok.

I will show you all the cards as soon as I get them.
genaker

Postby Spookyhappyfun » Friday May 3rd, 2019 2:43pm

I'm looking forward to getting some cards finally professionally printed and this sounds like it will be a lifesaver. Thank you!
My Quest Book Edits - In Progress
My Quest Locations - In Progress

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Hobby Tips