• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Debasing Mini's: Tips and Tricks

Tips and Tricks that don't quite fit into the above categories.

Debasing Mini's: Tips and Tricks

Postby Once was Mortimer » January 23rd, 2016, 6:14 pm

Since I've seen many have rebased HQ mini's I always wanted to give it a try, my first effort with clippers resorted in a legless zombie. This time I've taken a goblin with a broken weapon as a test, I bought some modelling knives/scalpels and began to saw under the feet like suggested. Generally I get so deep than the knife refuses to go any further no matter the sawing ... or it starts to cut down into the base or up into the foot.

So I'm hoping for some additional tricks that might be more effective.
Once was Mortimer

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Debasing Mini's: Tips and Tricks

Postby wolfie907 » January 23rd, 2016, 8:48 pm

There is a thread for this somewhere around here

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Once was Mortimer » January 23rd, 2016, 11:25 pm

Sorry thought there might of been some fresh ideas since than.
Once was Mortimer

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 24th, 2016, 5:10 am

Get a sawblade with very tiny teeth.

The one I use can saw a model free from the base leaving me both a miniature to do whatever with and a perfectly good unharmed base.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » January 24th, 2016, 11:04 am

I used a little saw from a pumpkin carving kit, but I start by carefully clipping around the feet with a wirecutter. ( you can't always get between the feet this way ie I broke a dwarven leg this way).
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » January 24th, 2016, 11:10 am

Alternately, I have ( after clipping excess ) begun by sawing at an angle from right and left of each foot, creating a sort of triangle under each that is subsequently sawed off.
The quickest way I've found was when my mother loaned me her dremmel. I used a cylindrical attachment that had a sandpaper like surface on the side of the cylinder. After clipping the excess it made quick work.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 24th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Trumpeter 09909. It only costs a few bucks and was made for the purpose.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » January 25th, 2016, 10:46 am

What are you rebasing them onto? If you just want regular round bases then I do the following:

It's really easy to put the original models onto these Reaper bases: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/ ... down/74035
You just trim the edges of the model base and it fits into the recessed part to the perfect height. Then just fill in the gaps around the edge with a bit of greenstuff. The bases are designed to be used either way up because they don't taper, so it looks great.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Once was Mortimer » January 25th, 2016, 5:13 pm

cornixt wrote:What are you rebasing them onto? If you just want regular round bases then I do the following:

It's really easy to put the original models onto these Reaper bases: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/ ... down/74035
You just trim the edges of the model base and it fits into the recessed part to the perfect height. Then just fill in the gaps around the edge with a bit of greenstuff. The bases are designed to be used either way up because they don't taper, so it looks great.

I had some metal flagstone bases (which I'm debating either to use as is, or glue ontop of a round base as is intended) or go with round bases.
Once was Mortimer

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 29th, 2016, 1:00 am

Once was Mortimer wrote:
So I'm hoping for some additional tricks that might be more effective.

Check out the Removing mini's from their base topic found at Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ HeroQuest Additions ‹ Miniatures . Sanding is discussed a few posts down.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Other Hobby Tips