• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

Dwarf Chaos Knight

Tips and tricks about sculpting.

Dwarf Chaos Knight

Postby DC1346 » Monday July 9th, 2018 1:18am

I sculpted my first humanoid figurine this afternoon. I decided to work on a dwarf because their short and stocky and are usually covered with armor. Since I wasn't using a fine grade sculpting clay, I wanted to work on a figure that didn't need as much fine detail. I decided to go with a dwarf and since I was short one figure in my Warhammer Chaos Knight collection, I decided to craft a dwarf chaos knight.

Here is what I came up with after about 12 hours of intermittent work.

I don't know about you but when I look at this picture I think of the character Eric Cartman from South Park. I can almost hear him barking, "You will respect my auth-or-e-tay!" :lol:

Sculpting a dwarf was a lot more challenging than I thought it would be.

I started this project by crafting a wire frame but had to restart it three times. The biggest problem for me were the legs. I wanted the figure to be marching like the other Chaos Knights but dwarves have such short legs that sculpting a marching dwarf was really hard. I wound up creating a figure with one leg advanced in front of the other.

Here is a picture before I added the arms. To reduce the amount of clay needed, I used strips of aluminum foil to thicken the torso.

To make sure that I was working to the proper scale size, I compared my model to the Hero Quest dwarf.

While most of the Chaos Knights have horns facing outwards and up, I was worried that sculpting such thin clay would cause one or both of the dwarf's horns to eventually break off. To avoid this problem, I gave him downward facing horns that arced down the side of his helmet.

I think this was a credible first effort. I can see that I'm going to have to work on my anatomy skills as part of the sculpting process. I will also need better tools and a better quality of sculpting clay.
DC1346

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dwarf Chaos Knight

Postby knightkrawler » Monday July 9th, 2018 8:32am

DC1346 wrote:I don't know about you but when I look at this picture I think of the character Eric Cartman from South Park. I can almost hear him barking, "You will respect my auth-or-e-tay!"

HaHAAH, I just wet myself. Once you said it, I'll never be able to unsee it. Awesome!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday July 10th, 2018 11:25am

Great job on the dwarf. |_P It looks like he's compensating with that base.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » Wednesday July 11th, 2018 9:35am

Classic Chaos Dwarf, it's great.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups: