• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dungeon Stairs

Tips and tricks about sculpting.

Dungeon Stairs

Postby Thantos » March 1st, 2014, 10:09 am

Ive been thinking on what style would be best to make dungeon stairs suitable for a HQ entrance tile.

Was going to either go for something true to the HQ card and do 5 curved shallow steps, a little dull though..
or a spiral staircase which you can use two of and stack them for a mega staircase. Will probably cast in two stages, lower 1/3rd with marble resin additive for weight and the top half with glass microspheres additive so the stairs are really heavy at bottom and light at top, so they stay rooted better.

But looking for ideas and suggestions from questers on what they would like to see for a staircase :)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dungeon Stairs

Postby Sotiris » March 1st, 2014, 12:51 pm

I have seen many beautiful stair tiles and i admire them all.
I prefer the 3d one.
My idea: a vertical tube, on a 2x2 base (transparent if possible), with 3-4 figure bases (square-steps) on it, creating the 3d spiral effect.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » March 1st, 2014, 12:59 pm

When I see the stairs tile I imagine a long spiral staircase of which only the bottom is visible from our line of sight. I like the two part mega staircase idea a lot.

I would love to see you do a secret door and blocked square too. Combined with your open and closed doors, trap door, and rubble pieces you would have the whole setup!
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 1st, 2014, 1:07 pm

I'm gonna print my gameboard tiles with 4cm squares, so no vote from me.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 1st, 2014, 1:44 pm

holy crap 4cm? that's overkill. 3cm is much better. My board is about 2.5cm and suits me fine.
But yeah, different people use different square sizes. hard to make 1 fitting staircase.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 1st, 2014, 2:07 pm

I'm pondering 3.5 and 4cm. I would like my minis on round 4cm bases still use only 1 square.
On the other hand, I'd prefer 3.5 or even 3.25, but then I'd have to write up an entirely redacted ruleset for the usage of squares. Descent and the D&D boardgames might help with that, though.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » March 1st, 2014, 2:37 pm

I went with 1.5 inches modular and love it. That's about 38mm I think. I'm gonna make 3x4.5 in. bases for the furniture and add various dungeon decor, but it's fine to use as they come.

I went back to the board once afterwards, and felt very cramped. Once you go big...

2x2 inch stairs is fine for me.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » March 1st, 2014, 4:31 pm

30mm.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » March 2nd, 2014, 8:58 am

You do it on computer and print it out, don't you? So it's freely scaleable and the square size is not really an issue expect for the cost of the printing plastic. You can do a 1'' version, a 3cm version and even a 4cm version personylly for Knightcrawler. You can increase the price a little bit for the less wanted (therefore less produced) versions.
I did a papaercraft staircase once, but it's just an aesthetical add on, you can't really put figures on it.
I'd like a sculpted staircase a lot, but keep it simple!
One circle of stairs, going up roughly one story, is enough. You could scale it so that four figures can be place on it at different hight levels, and add some decoration to support the bases (for the actual stairs will probably be too narrow.
My :2cents:
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » March 2nd, 2014, 1:45 pm

No pictures yet. This topic sucks.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Sculpting