• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Barbarian and Dwarf

A collection of tips and tutorials for all your miniature gaming hobby needs from painting to sculpting and more!

Re: Barbarian and Dwarf

Postby whitebeard » December 22nd, 2016, 5:45 pm

I would stick with your current naming convention and call the heroes "Classic Dungeon Crawlers"

If he does the monsters, "Classic Dungeon Crawlers & Monsters"

And if he does the whole scene (walls and all) "Epic Dungeon Battle Scene"
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » December 23rd, 2016, 6:50 am

Patroclus wrote:I am not sure if the scale is playable... 28mm compared to 32mm is 4mm less. Even with the new models of GW I am afraid that they will look like giants.

Some guy named John Omega Williams
has measured the HeroQuest minis here.

John Omega Williams wrote:Here is the full spread of heights to the top of the head, not counting spiles, arms weapons, etc. And not counting the 2mm thick bases.

Barbarian 32mm
Elf 32mm
Wizard 30mm
Dwarf 22mm

Sorceror 32mm
Firmir 32mm
Daemon 35mm. 40mm if you count the point on the top of the head
Orc 22mm
Goblin 18mm
Chaos Warrior 32mm
Skeleton 32mm
Zombie 29mm
Mummy 35mm

All bases are 24 x 21mm.
Tiles and spaces are 22mm square

So, 32 mm seems to be a fairly precise average for humanoide figures.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » December 23rd, 2016, 7:01 am

I'm not happy with the idea of a kickstarter.
It will mean we would have to wait months, if not years, for our figures.
What does he need it for, anyway? Does he want to set up a production company of his own?
If he really plans to team up with Thantos, he doesn't need any startup money that he has to pay back anyway. Prototypes are finished, and production faculies as well as ditribution ways are already set up. All Thantos has to do is make the moulds.

Thantos wrote:Last i heard from Boris, he was thinking what to brand them. Since branding things as "Heroquest" has a whole avenue of lawsuits attached to it xD (talking of which, Hq25 is supposed to be out in march?)

Something with "Heroic" in it, as a hint to Heroquest?
Like "Heroic Barbarian", "Heroic Skeleton" etc.?
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » December 23rd, 2016, 9:37 am

Big Bene wrote:I'm not happy with the idea of a kickstarter.
It will mean we would have to wait months, if not years, for our figures.
What does he need it for, anyway? Does he want to set up a production company of his own?
If he really plans to team up with Thantos, he doesn't need any startup money that he has to pay back anyway. Prototypes are finished, and production faculies as well as ditribution ways are already set up. All Thantos has to do is make the moulds.

This tbqh. Not everything needs to be a kickstarter.
Just make a deal to have Thantos produce them.

Besides I'm biding my time to make one big order for bases and dungeon stuff - might as well include these. ;)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » December 23rd, 2016, 10:33 am

This is an interesting conversation, one that I'm not qualified to weigh in on, but thought I may as well anyway.

I think, in this case, the benefit of KS would be to both Zealot and Boris. If KS isn't used and they are ordered through the web store like most of Zealots Minis I doubt there would be substantial volume. If KS is used, and probably combined with additional items, the walls, maybe new TC stuff the volume would be substantially higher, possibly an order of magnitude higher. That, I think (not pretending to know), would mean more revenue and make things more worthwhile for both of them.

Perhaps, for comparison, consider if the TC stuff was not KS but sold on the web store (pretending that costs for molds weren't needing to be covered), what volume would have been sold by this point vs the volume of the KS. I doubt it would compare. KS in and of itself seems to be a worthwhile marketing vehicle through the interest it generates in people.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » December 23rd, 2016, 10:52 am

In this case KS would be used as a marketing device, not a founding device.
But it is a founding device, and comes with a lot of organisation overhead that only makes sense to meet the needs of crowdfounding.
I also doubt if a really big volume is a good thing in the first place.
Call them as you like, it's obvious that the figures are based on Les Edwards' art and make use of intellectual property that belongs to - well - someone.
We probably get away with small numbers sold under the "Classic" or "Heroic" trademark, we may or may not get away with "volumes" on a platform as public as Kickstarter.
:2cents:
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thantos » December 23rd, 2016, 10:55 am

Im not sure what reasons behind a KS Boris has. All i know is whatever format he decides, we are happy to do the production castings for him if he goes with us :)
It's going to be under Boris and not a Zealot project. I will just be pleased to have the opportunity to help bring these great minis, cast to all of us HQ lovers (can you believe he just wanted to sculpt as set for his personal collection at first, until peer pressure took hold?!! ;) lol)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby QorDaq » December 23rd, 2016, 12:40 pm

I'm still looking forward to eventually seeing a completed diorama of the Box Cover... (Hopefully to include the Bugbear-looking critter in the background).

That said, I have a question for you Thantos; *IF* this collaboration comes about (I really hope it does), what medium would you be casting in? I believe much of your previous work has been cast in resin of some sort? And I gather that-that, or at least part of that, choice comes down to resolution of detail. However, there is a part of me that would love to see these done in plastic. Is that even possible?
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 26th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Sadly, I can't view the OP link. Is there any more news about this?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thantos » May 31st, 2017, 2:23 am

Was helping Boris sort these for resin casting and release.
Les Edwards loved them and was happy for us to cast a few :D But he said the HQ art is 100% owned by Hasbro now. Contacted Hasbro to get permission to use the art - they said "No, we don't want to encourage expansions, tributes or customer enthusiasm about our 30 year old game" ... well OK, they didn't say it quite like that xD But permission was not given!
Which i think has given Boris second thoughts on the project :(

Personally I think producing some and selling individually, not referencing HQ or anything would be fine. But I'll see if Boris is still up for this.
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Hobby Tips and Tricks