• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

So I got this far with Dungeons and Lasers game tiles...

A collection of tips and tutorials for all your miniature gaming hobby needs from painting to sculpting and more!

So I got this far with Dungeons and Lasers game tiles...

Postby ced1106 » September 11th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Like most game tiles, such as Dwarven Forge, Dungeons and Lasers uses a 2" x 2" footprint for its tiles. HQ has 1" passages and rooms with odd-length walls. So you have to kludge a bit to make a board.

You'll need multiple sets of fantasy core tiles, and sewer core tiles, at least two fantasy core sets (and even then you'll only be able to create the rooms you need for the quest, rather than the entire board).

What I did was start with the map of a quest, and expanded the rooms to fit the 2x2 square tile size. I would then fill in the rooms with terrain to reduce the space in the room to that matching the map.

Second pic has notes on the map how I'd modify the rooms. The outer passage uses the Sewer Core Set tiles.

Spoilers ahead, not that you haven't played this quest a few dozen times...!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ced1106 on September 11th, 2021, 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ced1106

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: So I got this far with Dungeons and Lasers game tiles...

Postby Kurgan » September 11th, 2021, 1:17 pm

Pretty. I hate to ask, but what's your budget ballpark for this?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby ced1106 » September 11th, 2021, 8:38 pm

I think 2x Fantasy Core Sets, and 1x Sewer Core Set should cover it.

The flooring is the limiter. A Fantasy Core Set has 12x Long Tiles (double size of floor tiles) and 18x Floor Tiles or 42 tiles. Each Room has 3x Long Tiles and 3x Floor Tiles or 9 tiles. So a Fantasy Core Set is about 5x as much floors as a Room Set.

So the €169 Town Pledge (2x Core, 7x Room) would work. One Fantasy Core Set, one Sewer Core Set, seven Room Sets. But look at getting two €85 Village Pledges (two times 1x Core, 3x Room), if you want double the free miniatures and stretch goals! You can also pick up a €85 Village Pledges (1x Core, 3x Room) plus two core sets at €34 each.

You might still get away with a €85 Village Pledges(1x Core, 3x Room), if you find something else to use instead of the Sewer Core set for the 1-square wide perimeter, such as some 1x5 DIY foam or cardboard dungeon tiles, and already have some game tiles (eg Dwarven Forge). I might try some DIY dungeon tiles, since it looks a little silly to have a dungeon surrounded by sewers!

(by the way, I doubt I'd try to replicate the board itself. On the map, you can see how I had to "shrink" some unused rooms to fit the ones used in the quest.)

Finally, D&L plastics come on sprues, so you'll have plenty of sprues to make your own blocked square tokens. Uh... bonus! : https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/c ... prues_any/

D&L KS. Late pledges at the same prices as backers still available! : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ar ... escription

Image <-- Each D&L pledge comes with free rubble! :mrgreen:
ced1106

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ced1106 » September 12th, 2021, 6:34 am

Hokay! Looks like you only need a Village Pledge (1x Fantasy Core Set, 3x Room Sets). :mrgreen:

The attached photo is the first quest with 1x Fantasy Core Set, and 3x Room Sets, plus a few optional Stretch Goals: Fantasy, Second Edition. I used rock-brown vinyl floor tiles (foamcore is cheaper) as "negative space" for the 1-square width perimeter, and inner passageways. Despite the vinyl tiles having no gridlines, it should be clear which areas are 1-square vs. 2-square width. I still had to tweak the sizes of the rooms to fit the standard 2x2 game tile size. I used archways and terrain to block off inaccessible parts of the rooms.

Note that since you now have non-interlocking structures, you can now plop down each as you play, rather than show them all off at the beginning. You can even take them away as the players clear the rooms. Terrain can be stuck onto the grids with sticky tack.

Oh, and I had enough extra pieces so that the gargoyle has a second-story apartment. :D

More pics: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php? ... nt-2034527
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ced1106

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Hobby Tips and Tricks