• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

Primer

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Primer

Postby cx40hero » Monday June 24th, 2019 5:16am

Im in the process of stripping all my mini's back to plactic (to the people that suggested Detol, I cant thank you enough).
Im planning on using a spray primer on all the minis but wondered what colour would be the best starting point and if its better to use different primers on different mini's ie:

Chaos Warriors - Black
Heros - White
Fimir - Black... and so on...

What are your thoughts?
cx40hero

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Primer

Postby Maurice76 » Monday June 24th, 2019 5:34am

Aren't primers primarily depending on the colors you wish to paint on top of it? If you want a light color scheme, you should have a light primer, and for a dark scheme, a dark primer. But I admit that I haven't painted minifigs in ages.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Monday June 24th, 2019 2:17pm

I am not a professional painter but I've seen that even Mike McVey (Citadel official figures painter) was using a white primer. You can read the basic of the painting on the back of the UK Questbook. The 3 figures you can see there (Fimir, Gargoyle and Barbarian) are painted by Mike.
In the past I've primed my figures with black primer and I have to say it was very hard to make some colors stand out, like yellow, dark green, orange or some reds too.
Also on White Dwarf 113 there is a smal guide. I attach you a page here (on the left column, behind the Orc picture):

WD113.jpg

hq_paintminiguide.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » Monday June 24th, 2019 2:38pm

i use white on everything these days, as i work with a lot more wash type style of painting. this doesnt really work with a black undercoat. as it takes more coats of paint to build up a colour over black.
best thing i can suggest is try both.
i dont use any expensive spray on primers either. i just get mine from halfords for like 7 quid.

a lot of this is dependant on your skill level of painting too. if you are starting out. i suggest going with white and making sure your paints are thinned down a tad with a little water and building up your colours with multiple layers.
|_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » Monday June 24th, 2019 3:01pm

My usual go-to primer is GW's Chaos Black (and this has been my favourite option for many years). That being said, I painted virtually all of my HeroQuest models over a brown undercoat (GW Mournfang Brown spraypaint) and can only recommend this option, because it's dark enough to make for relatively easy painting on top, yet also leads to slightly more vibrant colours than a black undercoat would. So for "conventional" painting techniques, I'd recommend a brown undercoat for your HQ models.

For a more wash-oriented style (or for using something like GW's recently released Contrast Paints), a white (or very light, in any case) undercoat definitely has its strong points.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby cornixt » Tuesday June 25th, 2019 2:30pm

I use black for almost everything, it hides a multitude of sins and adds some easy shading. I use white only for areas that will have the lightest paints (white, yellow, pale flesh) since otherwise you have to do several coats of white over the black.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » Wednesday June 26th, 2019 4:06pm