• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Where online do you get your paint?

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Where online do you get your paint?

Postby phoenixcinder » April 5th, 2018, 1:05 am

Made the mistake of going to the games workshop again.
This time looking for paint, but was smart enough not to verbally say the blasphemy "heroquest"
I got a vibe they were seriously overpriced. $20 for a tiny brush, Tiny thing of paint of one color $15 then he tried to convince me I needed to buy what looked like a can of spray paint which is supposedly some kind of primer for another $40.

Thoughts of online places that aren't gougers?
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Where online do you get your paint?

Postby whitebeard » April 5th, 2018, 9:07 am

You should be getting the same price in the GW store which you can find in their on-line store. Paint pots are $4.25 each in the US store. The primer is $17, which is VERY high, but you will not run out for a long time. The M series brushes are $7.50 each.

I would start with primer, 2 brushes, and 8-12 paints.

I like the GW paint pots. Otherwise I would go someplace else.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 5th, 2018, 11:17 am

I wouldn't start at GW at all. There's no need to hand those people double the money others demand for the same or more quality.
I'd start with a nice paint set from Reaper Masters Series or Vallejo Model Color + Vallejo Spray Primer + Matt Varnish (Testor's Dullcote).
It's not even a debate if you're on a budget.

And if the people in the GW store really told you those prices, then they fraggled with you. Time to shut down that store owner and complain with GW by letter or something.
Whitebeard is right with the prices, but they are still too steep.
12ml = 4.25 bucks vs. 17ml = 3.50 bucks or something at Reaper.
GW brushes are also only half decent (or so I'm told). They can claim they are Kolinsky sable because they are at slightly more than 50%. A real Kolinsky sable brush is 100% Kolinsky sable hair.
GW works that way, I'm afraid. Get rid of that feeling you need them just because they are more easily available in brick and mortar stores...

Don't be told that GW paints are better for beginners or anything. It's horsecrap.
A beginner learns to use the paints he has and is not dependent from a brand choice.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » April 5th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Totally agree with KK. I happen to like the physical design of the paint pots. I actually paint from a diluted sample on the rim of the pot, it is fast and I blend on the figure. I eased into painting and it was not a large one time investment for me. And my local shop guy was really happy to help with HeroQuest. You don't have any of this. Don't start.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » April 5th, 2018, 1:38 pm

whitebeard wrote:Totally agree with KK. I happen to like the physical design of the paint pots. I actually paint from a diluted sample on the rim of the pot, it is fast and I blend on the figure. I eased into painting and it was not a large one time investment for me. And my local shop guy was really happy to help with HeroQuest. You don't have any of this. Don't start.

yeah unfortunately the shop here treats HQ players like 3rd class peasants. Learned right quick never to mention that game there again. And the guy at GW is so into himself, no matter what you say he has to one up you. I tried both the sites KK mentioned every single color I selected I kept on getting sold outs.

It shouldn't be this tedious and convoluted just to paint a handful of doors.

I am at the point of saying F*** it and just going to a normal art store and hope for the best
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Fallensaviour » April 5th, 2018, 9:24 pm

I use folk art acrylics 2oz for $2 from Walmart.
For primer I use krylon primer spray can for plastic,metal and wood.white, black,grey or brown $7 at Canadian tire/Walmart.
I’ve never ever had an issue with the krylon spray primer.
Brushes I find is where you want to spend a little but not too much.
I’ve often found with brushes you get what you pay for just don’t over pay!
If you want to strip paint from plastic minis to repaint I use the simple green meathod.
What city are you in for that gw store?

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 5th, 2018, 11:08 pm

phoenixcinder wrote:
whitebeard wrote:Totally agree with KK. I happen to like the physical design of the paint pots. I actually paint from a diluted sample on the rim of the pot, it is fast and I blend on the figure. I eased into painting and it was not a large one time investment for me. And my local shop guy was really happy to help with HeroQuest. You don't have any of this. Don't start.

yeah unfortunately the shop here treats HQ players like 3rd class peasants. Learned right quick never to mention that game there again. And the guy at GW is so into himself, no matter what you say he has to one up you. I tried both the sites KK mentioned every single color I selected I kept on getting sold outs.

It shouldn't be this tedious and convoluted just to paint a handful of doors.

I am at the point of saying F*** it and just going to a normal art store and hope for the best

There's all kinds of internet shops that sell Vallejo paints. They're all over the place.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » April 5th, 2018, 11:34 pm

I'm not a painter at all, but I tried my hand at it for the Christmas exchange. I got a Reaper starter kit from Ebay and was quite pleased with the paint. My skill still needs work though...
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » April 6th, 2018, 3:55 pm

I get mine off Amazon normally. I have yet to try GW's paint.

Wal-Mart has okay acrylic paint from about $.50 a bottle and up (depending on the brand Apple Barrel / Folk), that is what I started painting with. They also have some good stater brushes, I think I got then for less then $7 for a 10 pack (they didn't last long unfortunately).
Primer and Matt varnish I also use Krylon, I think I pay about $5 a can roughly (Wal-Mart).
The one hobby shop near me sells Tamiya paint, they go for about $2.49 - $3.00 a bottle. That is good paint but is really meant for an airbrush.
Micheal's has some good brushes for about $2-$3 a piece.
Hobby Lobby sells Vallejo and Testors Master Paints from about $2.99 - $3.99 I think. They sell more miniature painting supply from what I have seen.
Reaper paints are good and a little cheaper then Vallejo. If you buy enough from Reaper I have been told you can get some free stuff. (I have yet to try it but my step daughter buys from them all the time to get me Christmas presents)
Army Painter is a little bit more then Reaper, the only thing I have used is the washes. I got a 8 pack I think for about $21 off Amazon.
But normally I use Vallejo now. I get about 8 paints from $15 - $25 off Amazon depending on what paint it is. I just like that paint better.

The last GW store I went into I just about died from the prices, so I refuse to go back into one. If GW has something I want, I'll watch Evil-Bay and Amazon like a hawk till I find an acceptable price then but it.

Hope this helps even if I repeated some of what the other members have told you.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Rath of Un » September 4th, 2018, 10:26 am

I usually get my stuff at a local shop, but if I can't get it there I will use the WAR STORE. Good selection and good prices.

I have used GW Paints, but Now I stick with Army Painter war paints. I started with a basic set and have expanded my collection from there. Army Painter also has Primers that are 100% match with there War Paints that is what first drew me to use them. As I was not very good a priming when I fist started out. I could touch up the primer with the War Paint then start putting on the base colors.

Hoe this helps

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Rath of Un

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Painting