• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Stripping

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Re: Stripping

Postby Figomurphy » April 8th, 2017, 3:08 pm

That's good to know. I just checked and the nail polish remover I used is with acetone. I haven't had a problem yet. Most of the minis I've stripped were painted with the older enamel paint.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » April 8th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Figomurphy wrote:That's good to know. I just checked and the nail polish remover I used is with acetone. I haven't had a problem yet. Most of the minis I've stripped were painted with the older enamel paint.

One half-knowledge piece I have read in a hobby-related forum:
acetone isn't inhaled. The body absorbs it through the skin, and there it stays. Forever. That's enough for me to not use it.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby David Otto » April 17th, 2017, 9:03 am

The bleach 'trick' unfortunatly did not work on most of the mini's , I left them in for over a week but the thick layers of leaded paint didnt budge one bit.... Back to the drawing board!
David Otto

Hero:

Postby Geofonos » April 18th, 2017, 1:36 am

I've tried almost everything. Fairy Power Spray, pure alcohol, isopropanol, brake fluid, Dettol, nail polish remover, nail polish remover without acetone, oven cleaner....pretty much everything that is supposed to do the job. Best results came from Dettol (the original brown one). The fact is that only the brown Dettol which is label highily antiseptic can do the trick real easily. Don't go for any of those alpine breeze, tropical gust, green apple fresh and the likes; pure, old school, brown/orange Dettol. Just wear gloves when using it because it can damage the skin on your hands and give you a zombie-like texture on them - you don't want that.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Geofonos

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spectre » February 18th, 2018, 2:19 am

I've found a few things.
I've used oven cleaner before, but that doesn't seem to work on every paint.
There's also a product called Simple Green, which I've had some luck with, however the smell almost reminds me of menthol.
Tea Tree Oil works okay, too, however it's not cheap.

Last thing I've found interesting (and this may not apply to paint, I hadn't tested for that specifically) was that mixing Oxy Clean in some water will make a solution that strips chrome off of plastic parts. Discovered that when trying to see if it could re-whiten some old plastic toys that also had some chrome parts on it.
Spectre

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member
]

Previous

Return to Painting