Paying for Painting - Advice?

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Re: Paying for Painting - Advice?

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » Wednesday January 13th, 2016 5:58pm

Anderas wrote:Dipping is white or grey spray paint from a distance for priming,
Then you paint the model in base colors.
Then you open the tin can with sepia or black thin dipping color and you dip the model in the color.

Then you let it dry for some hours.

Maybe you spray paint matte varnish from a distance afterwards.

what Anderas said!

http://gfbrobot.com/2010/12/03/andrews- ... ing-minis/

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Once was Mortimer » Thursday January 14th, 2016 12:34am

I'll have to have a read of that page.

Last time I tried dipping a mini, it was a HQ Chaos Warrior into black paint .... he made an okay tar monster after that.
Once was Mortimer

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Thursday January 14th, 2016 1:15am

It's important that you don't use standard colors for dipping but (for example) Quickshade by Army Painter which was made specifically for this task. These are colors so thin and with their fluidity so exactly chosen that they're perfect for the task.
Disadvantage is, they're often glossy.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday January 14th, 2016 1:43am

Anderas wrote:It's important that you don't use standard colors for dipping but (for example) Quickshade by Army Painter which was made specifically for this task. These are colors so thin and with their fluidity so exactly chosen that they're perfect for the task.
Disadvantage is, they're often glossy.

Which should be counterable by a matte varnish after the gloss varnish.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » Friday January 15th, 2016 5:15pm

Just this week I got an email from someone who read my blog and asked if I would paint his entire set of SW:Imperial Assault for €350,- (€5,- a mini). Wow. I'd love to, but I don't have the time :(
So many minis of my own to paint!!!

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » Saturday January 16th, 2016 2:19am

As said - if you do it for a living, you'd need to have a decent hourly rate, and that's more than 5€ per model.
If you do it as hobby, you can take 5€, but then you must be one of the lucky guys with a lot of free time.
When i think today how much time i wasted with computer games when i was young! :o

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » Saturday January 16th, 2016 2:51am

Anderas wrote:As said - if you do it for a living, you'd need to have a decent hourly rate, and that's more than 5€ per model.
If you do it as hobby, you can take 5€, but then you must be one of the lucky guys with a lot of free time.
When i think today how much time i wasted with computer games when i was young! :o

My computer games taught me to use the computer and a little searching of my own taught me the basics of programming. I don't regret playing just the quantity of time I devoted to it.

I'd suggest, as a few others have, painting some yourself. You may even surprise yourself and find you enjoy it, like I did.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Saturday January 16th, 2016 5:41am

I'll never recommend painting services.
The standard you would like to have - awesome! - is unpayable. 6 hours per really well painted model is 60 € PER MODEL for WORKING HOURS alone PLUS taxes, side cost, and material.
Tabletop standard might be 15 € per model and that is something you can quite easily achieve yourself.
As mentioned, buy 15 basic colors, paint the basecoats lighter than the end results should be and dip them into Army Painter. That's 1.5 hours per model, by the way. You can extrapolate from there how much a really fine paintjob costs.

If you do wanna look into painting services, start looking in Poland. I'm serious about that. They don't pay taxes, and they tend to be a little cheaper.
Den of Imagination, Awaken Realms, and Buypainted all have youtube channels to look into.
But seriously, research in what you want and who you can trust takes you as much time as ebay-binging on material yourself, watching some basic youtube videos (the Miniature Painting 101 series by Miniwargamer Jay), and practicing.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » Saturday January 16th, 2016 4:18pm

knightkrawler wrote:If you do wanna look into painting services, start looking in Poland.

Why is that? I've seen tons of vids and a lot seem to come from there. This as a serious question too.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Saturday January 16th, 2016 4:53pm

As I said, they don't pay taxes I think is what I've heard. Anyhow, they don't have the same cost as people in other countries. Maybe it also has to do with Poland's regulations of what constitutes being an artist or some such and which advantages artists have. I can't remember for the life of me what I read exactly, but it has to do with their cost.
The fact is they've got some business advantages painting services from other countries don't have.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Painting