• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Tips for Weapons / Metal Finishes?

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Tips for Weapons / Metal Finishes?

Postby Redav » April 21st, 2015, 8:32 pm

G'day. I'm looking for suggestions on how you paint your metal weapons as well as gold, steal and bronze items? I'm not moving onto the mini's yet but I thought I'd have a stab at the weapons rack and some chests which would have some metallic finishes.

Seb has something on rusty weapons and zee Count has something too.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Tips for Weapons / Metal Finishes?

Postby Diggin » April 22nd, 2015, 3:11 am

Well i'm no expert with weapons at all, but i did discover two nifty things:

1: bronze blends well with brown. so i paint my "bronze to be" stuff brown first, then mix the brown and bronze for the top layers
2: You can add a colour to your metals to give it a different kind of metal look, for example:
shiny silver + a little drop of black + a drop of red (or green or blue), then your metal becomes a bit different, a magical effect. Paint in thin layers with this stuff my first one was too thick and ugly.
"Good and Evil, there never is one without the other."
Diggin

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » April 22nd, 2015, 3:36 am

Diggins method id similar to mine. By mixing non-metalics in say grey with silver then you can get a nice fake non-metalic metal look.

I tend to base paint it the colour i want, so for steel I will paint chain mail or bolt gun, the wash it with a mix of black and blue ink, then retouch with the silver and highlight with mithril.
For brasses or gold then its the same kind of thing, but start from a base of tin bits, then a browny green ink mix, then the metalic colour and a highlight of the colour with shining gold mixed in.

You can play around with the ink wash colours, purple makes things seem a bit magically, blues for strong, brown on silver give an aged effect ect.

Really they are no different from non metalics, but I would usually leave them until last and use a separate water pot so you don't get shiny glitter bits in the other colours, like to woods and stuff.
I don't go in for this metalic self highlighting business, it does look better if you just treat them as you would regular paints.

No washing up liquid this time :(

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 22nd, 2015, 6:58 am

Good methods.

And then there's this that you could start with and use as a basis for more advanced techniques:
Undercoat brown for gold, black for stell or silver, dark green for bronze.
Basecoat in a metallic color a shade darker than you actually want the end result.
Wash. Be creative here. Mix in olive greens or purples into the basic browns and blacks for gold, greens and turquoises for copper, BOB's method for steel and silver.
Neaten up with your target color, leave the recesses be.
Highlight with a lighter version of the target color. Give gold a silver edge highlight, very fine.

Optionally, weather as you want it.
For rust, wash with a brown, then with an orangy light brown in tighter spaces. Stipple a light orange very lightly. Sometimes I go all the way up to yellow with this.
For verdigris, wash any light or medium blue or dark/medium neutral green or a medium turquoise you want and then a light turquoise in tighter spaces. Stipple an almost white very lightly.
These weathering washes get lighter, the deeper the recess, opposite to what a regular wash does. Try to get the most weathering in places where water runs down (streaks) and collects (intense rust/verdigris).
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ragnar IronFist » April 22nd, 2015, 4:54 pm

I'm no expert either. But I stumbled upon a method that I like the look of. I mix the metallic color (Iron Breaker or whatever) with some black or some other darker color...for a couple coats. Then I do a super light dry brush action with the same metallic color (no black) around all the edges, even sword blade edge.
Ragnar IronFist

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Painting