• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

White priming?

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Re: White priming?

Postby Big Bene » October 21st, 2014, 3:16 am

Talking about white primer, I'd like to ask the experienced painters here if they can tell me something about the different brands out there.
Any recommentions?
Which is best and why?

(Personally, I've only used white paint-on primer for most of my minis until now - once I used a can of normal brown spray-paint from the hardware store, which worked remarkably well, but then again, it was on home-cast skeletons with very little detail).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » October 21st, 2014, 3:20 pm

I have experience with GamesWorkshop and Army Painter sprays.

I find GW to apply a bit thinner than AP.
This is a good thing if the mini has hard to reach places.
On the other hand, your run of the mill minis will probably need two layers to cover sufficiently - and needs to dry in between to not turn runny.

AP applies a somewhat thicker layer which grants a better covering in the first go, but is less forgiving about overspraying.
It is the best for easy stuff - say terrain or minis with simple poses.

I find them both good, but prefer GW because of better control due to the thinner layer.

From what I hear around forums, it's not uncommon to use regular no-brand paints.
Some people claim they are just as good for less money? I dunno... I know GW/AP works...
I'll say this though; once you go spray, you'll never go back!
Last edited by Goblin-King on October 25th, 2014, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 21st, 2014, 3:38 pm

I keep reading and hearing great things about Vallejo's Polyurethane Primers.
Also, Tamiya Grey, which is a bit expensive, and Reaper for brushing on, which isn't recommended, but may be required for some.

I concur with Goblin-King on GW/Citadel and Army Painter.
AP sprays a tad dusty, while Citadel goes on smoother.
I have to add that I've come across quite a few Citadel White Primers (the older dark blue labelled cans with the white cap) that have gone bad and went runny as hell. Hasn't happened to me with any can of black, old or new.
Citadel's Technical Paint Imperial Primer to brush on is utter horsepiss with some glue in it. incredibly expensive, too, even more so than the regular Citadel paints (same price for same amount).

The Citadel black primer is by far the best one I've used so far, but theoretically, nothing should be better than a grey or khaki or other midtone Vallejo Surface Primer applied through the airbrush.
I'd probably use Krylon if I was in the US and still without an airbrush.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bruenor » October 24th, 2014, 3:39 pm

I only ever use a white or black undercoat when the overall colour is predominantly either white or black.

For all other painting I use grey, gives the best of both worlds, leaves your bright colours bright, but also helps with the shading.

I never ever use GW sprays now, as they are terrible, I had so many bad batches over the years I ended up going back to car primer.
I've had thin runny paint, sticky paint that doesn't dry properly and fuzzy paint thats dried to quickly whilst still spraying, all GW sprays.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
bruenor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby artisturn » October 24th, 2014, 5:59 pm

How are the Tamiya brand primers ?

I was thinking about switching to those due to the fact the GW primer is getting way out of hand price wise, plus the last can of GW primer I bought for 17 dollars was bad and wouldn't even spray. I don't have the receipt anymore plus the hobby store I bought it from is a 60 mile trip one way.

Hobby Lobby sells Tamiya White and Grey primer for 10.99 a can , the can is smaller then the GW primer but Hobby Lobby always has a 40% off coupon that I could use.

I haven't tried contacting GW yet about the primer. I bought it from an independent retailer due to the fact the nearest GW store is over a six hour drive one way. No GW stores in New Mexico the closest one is in Colorado.
artisturn

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 24th, 2014, 6:26 pm

GW primer isn't that good. Hobby model makers don't usually make the best paint, they just try to sell it like it is. Go with a company that makes paint like Krylon or Armor All. Armor All primer makes GW primer look like the overpriced crap that it is. Just don't buy Armory primer by mistake.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 25th, 2014, 2:12 am

chaoticprime wrote:GW primer isn't that good. Hobby model makers don't usually make the best paint, they just try to sell it like it is. Go with a company that makes paint like Krylon or Armor All. Armor All primer makes GW primer look like the overpriced crap that it is. Just don't buy Armory primer by mistake.

This. Though we don't have Krylon in Europe. But I'm sure there must be an alternative.

artisturn wrote:How are the Tamiya brand primers? I was thinking about switching to those due to the fact the GW primer is getting way out of hand price wise, plus the last can of GW primer I bought for 17 dollars was bad and wouldn't even spray. I don't have the receipt anymore plus the hobby store I bought it from is a 60 mile trip one way.

As you have observed yourself, Tamiya do pretty steep price hikes themselves with their primers. But as far as spray can primers from model manufacturers are concerned, I hear they are the best. Plus, they offer a medium grey which grants you the advantages bruenor (by the way, welcome back, mate!) has cited.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 25th, 2014, 4:25 am

chaoticprime wrote:GW primer isn't that good. Hobby model makers don't usually make the best paint, they just try to sell it like it is. Go with a company that makes paint like Krylon or Armor All. Armor All primer makes GW primer look like the overpriced crap that it is. Just don't buy Armory primer by mistake.

Chiming in with KK here. This is always the problem in these discussions; Americans suggesting all sort of brands exclusive to America.
Krylon, Armor All, Apple Barrel, Simple Green, Soylent Green... We just don't have those products. At least not in freaking Denmark...

:(

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » October 25th, 2014, 5:04 am

Goblin-King wrote:Chiming in with KK here. This is always the problem in these discussions; Americans suggesting all sort of brands exclusive to America.
Krylon, Armor All, Apple Barrel, Simple Green, Soylent Green... We just don't have those products. At least not in freaking Denmark...

:(

But on the plus side, we get to live in Europe :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » October 25th, 2014, 8:05 am

First a big thanx to all of you who contributed your experise. As I suspected there's more to this matter than meets the eye at first glance - and I'm not so rich I'd like to learn it all by try and error.
It seems to boil down to Armor All.
I'll ask my local retailer if he can somehow get it, but if not, I'm thinking if we can take things in our own hands, one of you American members buying some cans and send them to one of us here in the old world, who can in turn distribute them to everyone who is interested here.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Painting