• Advertisement

Simple and effective Heroquest painting

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Re: Simple and effective Heroquest painting

Postby sajungzak » Monday January 25th, 2016 11:20am

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:I'm still procrastinating rather than actually painting and claiming that it is 'research' but I uncovered two basic styles and would appreciate some advice

1) Start in the middle - white primer, apply base coat, then use inks/washes to get your shadows and dry brushing to get your highlights (not necessarily in that order)

2) Start dark - black primer, darker base coat then lighten up / highlight with at least one if not two coats

Have I identified the two main methods, if not what have I missed if so which do you prefer and why?

Also any suggestions for a recipe (combination of colours) for Goblin Flesh that isn't green, something pale, dirty maybe with a hint of yellow-green, just to separate them from the Ghouls...

I'm leaning toward number 1 with the difference of one or two thin layers for most highlights and dry brushing occasionally, but when appropriate.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » Monday January 25th, 2016 1:38pm

Have you watched the Miniature Painting 101 series by Miniwargamer Jay on youtube? At least the first 10 or 15 episodes?
If not, do that. Any written tip for the beginner might be futile in comparison to watching someone do it that knows how to explain along.
It's really difficult to explain in written form.
Research on painting has to start on youtube, there's no way around it, and there's no better way.

I always recommend the following research on youtube:
1) AG Productions, Ask a Painter series. Three hours with this guy, the videos in no particular order, will help you more than you know.
2) Miniwargamer Jay's Miniature Painting 101 series, the first 10, maybe 15 episodes
3) Anything by Buypainted, Awaken Realms, LesterBursleyMiniatures, AG Productions (tutorials), Dr Faust's Painting Clinic

Learn along these three major steps along the way. Paint. Get a feel for your way.
Then expand your knowledge with
Judge Gudge, James Wappel, GameFaceNation, really anything you find.

If you wanna keep it really simple, there's the GW way. This is taught by Warhammer TV, The Apathetic Fish, Mr Watchingpaintdry.
They always paint after rigid recipes that are fine to learn to layer along with, but will keep your creativity in check negatively if you take them to seriously.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » Monday January 25th, 2016 3:46pm

I've painted a lot of models using a variety of techniques for 20+ years. The "How to paint with GW paints" tutorials on youtube were so confusing that I learnt nothing other than that they have renamed everything into something obscure and want you to use more steps that you can do with yet another special pot of paint that they sell.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Monday January 25th, 2016 4:26pm

Exactly.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » Tuesday January 26th, 2016 3:45pm

I've watched a load of the AG Productions, Ask a Painter series over the last few months but I haven't watched any of the Miniwargamer Jay's Miniature Painting 101 series so I'll get on with these now, thanks for the tip, then when I get paid I will buy the last few paints and accessories that I need and then actually start painting - I'm going to start with the minor characters such as Goblins and work my way up to the Heroes (hopefully I might have improved by then!).

Can anyone recommend a make of brushes that are good for a new starter, not very expensive sable ones just synthetic but good enough for a beginner?
Original Campaign - Next Quest: The Fire Mage
Other Activities; Redesign of Hero Sheet to facilitate carrying limits

My House Rules

Character Sheet
Bareheaded Warrior

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby slev » Thursday January 28th, 2016 11:46am

sajungzak wrote:Have I identified the two main methods, if not what have I missed if so which do you prefer and why?

Sekrit method 3. Start white, build the colour down from the lightest to the darkest by adding progressively more paint. Advanced technique only used by the insanely good, which make amazing minis.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday January 28th, 2016 11:56am

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:I've watched a load of the AG Productions, Ask a Painter series over the last few months but I haven't watched any of the Miniwargamer Jay's Miniature Painting 101 series so I'll get on with these now, thanks for the tip, then when I get paid I will buy the last few paints and accessories that I need and then actually start painting - I'm going to start with the minor characters such as Goblins and work my way up to the Heroes (hopefully I might have improved by then!).

Can anyone recommend a make of brushes that are good for a new starter, not very expensive sable ones just synthetic but good enough for a beginner?

No. It's just not that easy. Buy one size 1 or 0 W&N series 7 (not the miniature size).
It sets you back 10 bucks but that is just the thing you have to do.
If you really really want a synthetic one to try things out, then go for a Da Vinci size 1 or 2. But don't. What does it avail you if you attempt to paint efficiently with a synthetic brush and are disappointed of its possibilities? You'll have less inclination to paint at all.

The painting hobby is expensive, so rather spend 10 bucks on your main brush than 3. It will thank you for years to come, as opposed to the cheap brush, that will bend its point within three sessions.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ampersand » Thursday January 28th, 2016 1:44pm

ill back knightkrawler up on this. i recently purchased about 8/9 new brushes.
2 of which were a size 1 winsor & newton and a size 0 winsor & newton mini (both series 7) the rest were various GW brushes to replace old worn out ones that were coming to the end of their days
out of the 9 brushes purchased the size 1 W&N has pretty much taken up the role of my main go to brush.

the difference between the standard and mini is the brush length. i bough two so i could see which i prefer. and would tend to side with the standard size over the mini as the brushes reservoir holds a lot more paint. i will get use out off all of these brushes. but will back KK up..you cant go wrong with a winsor and newton.

however i understand forking out 10 quid on 1 brush when starting out can be dubious. but i would recommend a mixture of brushes. the superior brushes will naturall become your go to brushes.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Thursday January 28th, 2016 1:52pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:Finally I'm looking at painting my Goblins first but don't want to do the usual cartoon green, does anyone have any experience of painting Goblins / Orcs with sallow, yellow/brown dirty skin tones...

Not sure if this helps, but I once went yellow with goblins (non-HQ.) Believe I started with a mostly medium-brown base coat that worked up to a mustard yellow. Highlighted with a flesh mixed with a bit of yellow. It did the job, but not that great.

I was better pleased with a larger group painted in red. They were black primed, then base coated with a reddish- brown, medium to dark. Then red was worked up with a highlight of orange. Blending was used throughout, so that combined with a stronger depth of color, they turned out pretty well. Overall, they appear more menacing than traditional yellowish-green, in my opinion.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bordgames » Thursday February 25th, 2016 1:08am

I don't know when i started doing this, but i paint the orcs pink/dark purple wash shadows.

I guess from early D&D background and photos i though of orcs as pig related and goblins as reptilian.

hence, pinkish muddy orcs, and green goblins.

The more variety the more interest for me; having everything green goes against my grain :)

example: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... ee3fc3.jpg

My, Fimirs if i remember from my 90s kit, where cyan and bluish skin colored :)

example: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/balinese ... 668880.jpg

"Inspired by the Fomorians of Celtic myth, they are depicted as humanoid, cyclopean creatures with barbed tails and beak-like snouts, with skins that varied from a dark green to a muddy brown colour. They are described as being part Daemon." -Wikipedia
Signore Conan the Software Engineer
:dwarf:
bordgames

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Painting