• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Japanese HeroQuest: Character Sheets & Boards Translation

Members who have translated, or would like to translate any Resources that weren't originally released in their language, or is unavailable on the Home Page may post their progress and results in this forum.

Re: Japanese HeroQuest: Character Sheets & Boards Translatio

Postby Kurgan » October 24th, 2021, 9:24 pm

It would make sense though... the game gets harder and so you have more varied magic but the ability to keep healing becomes less and less... (although practically speaking, being able to heal 4 BP instantly is much nicer than trying for 4 but possibly getting zero, or having to heal just 1 per turn). Then again since the "save yourself from dying" is an NA specialty, it isn't quite as life-saving, so to speak.

Still, I want to understand the original intent of the game, if I want to play it that way some day, to stick as close to that as possible.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby HispaZargon » October 25th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Kurgan wrote:It would make sense though... the game gets harder and so you have more varied magic but the ability to keep healing becomes less and less... (although practically speaking, being able to heal 4 BP instantly is much nicer than trying for 4 but possibly getting zero, or having to heal just 1 per turn). Then again since the "save yourself from dying" is an NA specialty, it isn't quite as life-saving, so to speak.

Still, I want to understand the original intent of the game, if I want to play it that way some day, to stick as close to that as possible.

Hi, I think the Japanese rules are quite clear about it as we have written them today... "Healing" intermediate spell seems to be more powerful than "First Aid" beginner spell: obtaining 1 or more white shields by rolling 4 combat dice is [4 x 1/3] = 133% probable so, it has not to much sense trying to heal just 1 only BP by casting the beginner if you can heal more than one, up to four, by casting the intermediate, just attending to probabilities. Additionally, rules explicitly says for Advanced Magic that Magician and Elf may use spell cards so, in my opinion that excludes spells that are not represented by any card as the beginner/intermediate ones.

Well, those are of course just interpretations but, I think in this case posible doubts are fortunately solved just reading the rules.

And, about the translated Character Boards, here they are the corrected ones!:

HQ_Japanese_Character_Boards_in_English_v1.1_by_HispaZargon.pdf
Edited message: Previously attached file HQ_Japanese_Character_Boards_in_English_v1.1_by_HispaZargon.pdf has an updated version in this post.

P.D.: I have also deleted the thin black lines around the boards in order to allow a better cutting after printing.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 27th, 2021, 1:15 pm

HispaZargon wrote:. . . About their translation to English, fortunately, Inn's member Malcadon shared in 2012 here a translation draft of the boards so, I took his best guess translations as basis. I mainly performed some minor style and editing changes in order to match them with the Rules of Play I already translated here. However I make one important change in Malcadon's Elf's board translation since he assumed that the Elf has a bow ("With your bow, you can attack enemies form a distance.") and, after checking through online internet translators, I think that the correct translation is that the Elf can use a bow but he does not carry anyone. I think that's the correct situation since there is no other place in the Japanese rules where is suggested that the Elf has a bow BUT the questbook says in Quest #13 that the Freeze Bow should be taken by the Elf, which matchs with the text I have finally written in the Elf's board. In fact, I think that the original Japanese text in the Elf's board was just trying to introduce that the Hero who has the ability of using a bow is the Elf, and that's all.

The Elf is also the only Hero who may use the crossbow, as stated on the JA Equipment card. This works perfectly with your translation, which I'd say is best.

Since the beginning rules leave the Elf a bit underpowered compared to the Barbarian and Dwarf, the Grindead player could also decide to allow a starting two-combat-die bow. Ambiguity in Hero Quest rules apparently translates between languages, but in this case I think it's a plus.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 27th, 2021, 6:05 pm

I forgot about the crossbow limitation (gotta see the translated equipment cards).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » October 27th, 2021, 8:14 pm

Daedalus wrote:The Elf is also the only Hero who may use the crossbow, as stated on the JA Equipment card. This works perfectly with your translation, which I'd say is best.

Since the beginning rules leave the Elf a bit underpowered compared to the Barbarian and Dwarf, the Grindead player could also decide to allow a starting two-combat-die bow. Ambiguity in Hero Quest rules apparently translates between languages, but in this case I think it's a plus.

Yeeeah, Daedalus. You are right, good catch!

Kurgan wrote:I forgot about the crossbow limitation (gotta see the translated equipment cards).

Of course you will see them :-) I plan to made them according to the rest of the translated stuff... nevertheless, as you probably know, we already have the Sjeng's equipment cards excellent translation here. I will probably base mine in those ones.
Last edited by HispaZargon on October 27th, 2021, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » October 27th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Somehow I missed the Sjeng link.. not realizing what it was before. Great!

Wow, so they are really different. Japanese Shortsword is like the US Longsword!

The Elf is a lot weaker if he can't use armor (only the shield!), so having him use the Crossbow is big help there.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » October 27th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Kurgan wrote:Somehow I missed the Sjeng link.. not realizing what it was before. Great!

Wow, so they are really different. Japanese Shortsword is like the US Longsword!

The Elf is a lot weaker if he can't use armor (only the shield!), so having him use the Crossbow is big help there.

Sjeng's translations were really good but I guess he added some (minor) changes to the original equipment texts as he did with the artifacts ones so, I must check them first with the original text and see how to proceed, maybe there are not too many changes.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » October 27th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Yes, I will look forward to seeing your versions... I know the rendering of the text label on the "Legendary Treasure" cards is different than his version.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » December 10th, 2021, 9:22 am

I have some optional editing suggestions for the character boards. The latest Google translate was refered to beyond what Malcadon used. I worked at retaining more of the original JA phrasing. Obviously, you won't be interested in everything, but I put it all out there to choose from.

It's been a while since translation of the Rules of Play. Since then, I've reached a new opinion. I'd say stay with the JA character and consider changing all instances of "Rules of Play" > Rule Book.

Warrior
(front)
  • "You are a strong and skilled fighter. You have the endurance to be in the forefront of battle." > You are an expert combatant with physical strength. Your might is unsurpassed in battle.

(back)
  • "Level Up (To be used from Quest 4)
    (Details on page 18 of the Rules of Play)" >
    Conditions For Leveling Up (Use for Quest 4
    ggor later. Refer to page 18 of the Rule Book.)
  • "After each quest, you may attempt to Level Up by paying 500 gold. If you Level Up, your max. BP increases by 1." >
    After each Quest, you may attempt to level up by paying 500 gold coins. If you level up, your maximum Body points increases by 1.
  • □"Roll 4 Combat Dice. If you roll 2 or more white shields, you Level Up." >
    The Warrior rolls four combat dice. If you roll two or more white
    ggshields, you can level up.
Switching from one set of parenthesis from two sets makes better grammatical sense, but you may wish to keep the double sets if you're after that JA look. Changing max. BP to maximum Body points, Combat Dice to combat dice, and using number words for dice follows EU convention, but again, I understand you may be after that original JA style.

I kept in a bit more of the Google translation, but your translation works as is, of course. I did diverge from the JA translation to better match EU convention by changing gold to gold coins. (Again, you may want to keep the JA feel.) Changing Level Up from a keyword to a phrase was intended to match EU formating of the Rules of Play.

Dwarf
(front)
  • "You are small in stature, but good in combat. Your skill allows you to disarm traps." > Although small in stature, you are good at fighting. With your deft hands you can disarm traps.

(back)
  • "Disarm Traps (To be used from Quest 4)
    (Details on page 16 of the Rules of Play)" >
    Disarming Traps (Use for Quest 4
    ggor later. Refer to page 16 of the Rule Book.)
  • "The Dwarf has the ability to disable traps while moving. Each time the Dwarf moves, he may disable one trap." >
    Once during movement, the Dwarf may stop adjacent to a single trap and disarm it.
  • "Level Up >
    [same as Warrior card, but:]
  • □"Roll 4 Combat Dice. If you roll 2 or more white shields, you Level Up." >
    The Dwarf rolls four combat dice. If you roll two or more white
I was aiming at a more direct translation of the JA card with the Dwarf's ability.

Elf
(front)
    "You are a fairly skilled fighter with some magical ability. You can use a bow to attack distant enemies." >
    You are a capable fighter and can use a little magic. You can also use a bow to attack distant enemies.

(back)
  • "Beginner Magic (see page 11 of the Rules of Play)
    During the first three quests, the Elf cannot cast any spells." >
    Beginner Magic (See page 11 of the Rule Book.)
    The Elf cannot use magic during Quests 1-3.
  • "Intermediate Magic (see page 12 of the Rules of Play)
    You can only cast one of the following spells per quest, during Quests 4-8:" >
    Intermediate Magic (See page 12 of the Rule Book.)
    The Elf can choose one of the following spells to use in Quests 4-8:
  • □ "Healing
    ddMay be cast on yourself or an ally. Roll 4 CD. For each white shield
    ddrolled, the hero recovers 1 BP." >
    Recovery
    ddMay be cast on yourself or an ally. Roll four combat dice. That hero
    bbmagically recovers 1 Body point for each white shield rolled.

• □ "Holy Flame
    bbMay be cast to attack one enemy. Roll 2 CD.
    bbEach rolled skull counts as a hit, but the monster can
    bbdefend by rolling a number of dice equal to its MP.
    Intermediate spells can be cast any number of times." >
    Holy Flame
    bbMay be cast to attack one enemy. Roll two combat dice with each
    bbskull dealing damage. That enemy rolls as many combat dice as its
    bbnumber of Mind points to defend.
    Intermediate magic can be used any number of times during a Quest.
  • "Advanced Magic (See page 19 of the Rules of Play.)
    From Quest 9 and after, the Elf may choose one of the
    four magic elements' Spell Card decks. Each spell may
    only be cast once per quest." >
    Advanced Magic (See page 19 of the Rule Book.)
    From Quest 9 and afterwards, the Elf can choose one type of magic from the four elements of magic. However, each spell can only be used once.
  • "Level Up >
  • □"Roll 3 Combat Dice. If you roll 2 or more white shields, you Level Up." >
    The Elf rolls three combat dice. If you roll two or more white

Magician
(front)
"You can use a number of magic such as attack, defence, and recovery. Magic is powerful, but you have no physical strength, so you are not good in combat." > You can manipulate a number of magics, such as attack, defense, and recovery. Magic is powerful, but it is without physical strength and is lacking in combat.

(back)
  • "Beginner Magic (see page 11 of the Rules of Play)
    You can cast the following spell during Quests 1-3:" >
    Beginner Magic (See page 11 of the Rule Book.)
    The Wizard can use the following magic in Quests 1-3:
  • □ "First Aid
    bbMay be cast on yourself or on an ally. He recovers 1 BP.
    Beginner spell can be cast any number of times." >
    First Aid
    bbMay be cast on yourself or your ally. The targeted hero recovers 1 Body point.
    [Shortened: Cast on yourself or an ally. Target recovers 1 BP.]
    Beginner magic can be used multiple times during a Quest.
  • "Intermediate Magic (see page 12 of the Rules of Play)
    You can cast the following spells during Quests 4-8:" >
    Intermediate Magic (See page 12 of the Rule Book.)
    The Wizard can use the following magic in Quests 4-8:
  • □ "Healing
    ddMay be cast on yourself or an ally. Roll 4 CD. For each white shield
    ddrolled, the hero recovers 1 BP." >
    Recovery
    ddMay be cast on yourself or an ally. Roll four combat dice. That hero
    bbmagically recovers 1 Body point for each white shield rolled.
  • □ "Holy Flame
    bbMay be cast to attack one enemy. Roll 2 CD.
    bbEach rolled skull counts as a hit, but the monster can
    bbdefend by rolling a number of dice equal to its MP.
    Intermediate spells can be cast any number of times." >
    Holy Flame
    bbMay be cast to attack one enemy. Roll two combat dice with each
    bbskull dealing damage. That enemy rolls as many combat dice as its
    bbnumber of Mind points to defend.
    Intermediate magic can be used any number of times during a Quest.
    [Shortened:Intermediate magic can be used multiple times during a Quest.]
  • "Advanced Magic (See page 19 of the Rules of Play.)
    From Quest 9 and after, the Wizard may choose one of the
    four magic elements' Spell Card decks. Each spell may
    only be cast once per quest." >
    Advanced Magic (See page 19 of the Rule Book.)
    From Quest 9 and afterwards, the Wizard can choose three types of magic from the four elements of magic. However, each spell can only be used once.
  • "Level Up >
  • □"Roll 3 Combat Dice. If you roll 2 or more white shields, you Level Up." >
    The Wizard rolls three combat dice. If you roll two or more white

UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 10th, 2021, 8:27 pm

I did a video reviewing the character boards (and some basics on the quest book) translations here (reposted from Twitch)

Sorry for the crackly sound, I need a new microphone but it's not too bad.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext