• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Japanese HeroQuest: Screen Translation

Members who have translated, or would like to translate any Resources that weren't originally released in their language, or is unavailable on the Home Page may post their progress and results in this forum.

Japanese HeroQuest: Screen Translation

Postby HispaZargon » July 18th, 2021, 10:45 am

Hi everybody,

After finishing the edition and translation to English of the HeroQuest Japanese Edition's Rulebook, I would like to also do the same with the Japanese Evil Wizard Screen (in fact, in this edition I think it should be better called as Demon King Screen :-)).

Someone could think that translating the screen could not be necessary since the screen content maybe covered by the already translated rulebook but, I think it could be interesting since I detected in other HeroQuest editions (i.e. Screen of the Spanish Advanced Quest Edition) that the content in the screen includes a little bit more clarifications about traps that are not written in the same way inside the rulebook. Then, I also consider the screen as part of the game rules, which motivates me to try translating it too.

I have not found any scan of the original Japanese screen, the only information I have is the following low-res picture obtained from this old post, which was provided by Derfel Link.

Japanese_HeroQuest_Demon_King_Screen.jpg

I will try to start working from it since I hope I could extract part of the traps explanation text. Having success will be a challenge due to the poor resolution so, please if anyone could provide a better quality picture of the Japanese screen's back, I will really appreciate having a copy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HispaZargon on July 27th, 2021, 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Japanese HeroQuest: Screen Translation

Postby Daedalus » July 21st, 2021, 4:56 pm

I couldn't find a better Japanese screen back, but I did find one in English that it was likely translated.from. Interested?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 21st, 2021, 5:58 pm

Sure let's see what you've got!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » July 21st, 2021, 6:06 pm

Daedalus wrote:I couldn't find a better Japanese screen back, but I did find one in English that it was likely translated.from. Interested?

Hi, I suppose you are talking about the official UK one, if not, yes please show me it.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 23rd, 2021, 6:28 pm

Yeah, it's just the UK one. Turns out Davane scanned his screen, as well. Sorry, Kurgan, but Davane's scans are better.

I searched for the Japanese screen (even using the Japanese characters), but no luck.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » July 25th, 2021, 8:01 pm

Daedalus wrote:Yeah, it's just the UK one. Turns out Davane scanned his screen, as well. Sorry, Kurgan, but Davane's scans are better.

Yeah, I see it.

Daedalus wrote:I searched for the Japanese screen (even using the Japanese characters), but no luck.

I searched a lot too without any success, but I found several weeks ago this YouTube channel in Japanese which has videos explaining how to play the Japanese Edition of HeroQuest so, maybe this guy could help us. I will try to contact him if he could send us some kind of picture of the screen's back (unfortunately, none of his videos show it).

After some attempts, I think that the only picture we have does not have enough resolution for a reliable text extraction...
Last edited by HispaZargon on July 27th, 2021, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 26th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Yeah, I watched/scanned the videos too. May the Demon King favor you and you get that screen image!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » July 26th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Daedalus wrote:Yeah, I watched/scanned the videos too. May the Demon King favor you an you get that screen image!

Eyyyyy, Daedalus! I asked yesterday such YouTube guy with no success for the moment... BUUUUT, I tried to search again in the net.. again it has been some kind of a nightmare searching in Japanese websites, and.... THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND JUST BEFORE I FELT DOWN!!!: click here!

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!! THE NORTH STAR IS WITH US!! :-)

Belive me, it has been a really challenge to find a picture of it, but here we have it for the Inn. The original obsolete advertisement where I found it is here

Now, I will continue with the original text extraction before translating it... I will post it here once finished.
Last edited by HispaZargon on July 27th, 2021, 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 26th, 2021, 5:54 pm

Well done! I tip the visor of my Chaos helm in respect. :chaoswarrior:
Actually, a Chaos Warrior is kinda like the Mandalorian, so gauntlet bump.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » July 26th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Nice find!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero: