• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Japanese HeroQuest: Screen Translation

Members who have translated, or would like to translate any Resources that weren't originally released in their language, or is unavailable on the Home Page may post their progress and results in this forum.

Re: Japanese HeroQuest: Screen Translation

Postby HispaZargon » August 2nd, 2021, 6:16 pm

Daedalus wrote:Trap disable Disarming a Trap
During its movement, the Dwarf can stop at the adjacent square of only one trap and disable it. (More details on page 16 of the Rules of Play) During movement, the Dwarf may stop adjacent to a single trap and disarm it. (Details on page 16 of the Rules of Play)

[Though your translation is fine, I personally don't like the last part of "During a single move" added from the Japanese screen. That means if a Dwarf happens to move adjacent to a trap and then search for it as an action, he can't remove it until the movement of the next turn--feels wonky. Does the p.16 translation repeat this tules change?]

Hi, about this, our "current" Japanese-to-English translation says at page 16 the following:

V. THE DWARF’S SPECIAL ABILITY
The Dwarf has the ability to disable traps while moving. Each time the Dwarf moves, he can disable one trap. He can disable Pitfalls and Crushes. To disable a trap, he must be on an adjacent square to the trap he wishes to disable. The disabled trap is removed from the game board, and may be passed through freely. The Dwarf does not use up Movement when disabling a trap, but his Movement that turn ends after disabling a trap, even if he has Movement remaining.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby HispaZargon » August 2nd, 2021, 6:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I am glad to share with you the first version of my translated Screen of Hero Quest's Japanese Edition. I have done it according to previous discussions but of course, it would be improved if needed. Please, check it for comments.

My Thanks to Daedalus & Kurgan for their invaluable collaboration.

HQ_Japanese_Screen_in_English_v1.0_by_HispaZargon.pdf
Edited message: Previously attached file HQ_Japanese_Screen_in_English_v1.0_by_HispaZargon.pdf has an updated version in this post.

Remark: As previously discussed, several terms and style of this translated screen do not exactly match with my already written Rules of Play (version 1.1) but it will be accordingly updated to those changes.
Last edited by HispaZargon on August 9th, 2021, 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 4th, 2021, 3:58 pm

The p. 16 description makes things clear, so I guess the screen issue, though minor, won't matter. Let it stand, I say.

Your welcome for the assistance. Every once in a while it's time to earn my self-proclaimed title. ;)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » August 4th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Congrats on completing phase 2 of a neat little project! |_P :barbarian: :dwarf: :elf: :wizard:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » August 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Hi,

As above mentioned, I have already updated the Rules of Play according to the same terms used for the screen translation. You can find the new version of the rules in this post.

Rules of Play and Screen translation finished :-), the next phase will be the Quest Book... here.
Last edited by HispaZargon on August 10th, 2021, 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » August 9th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Very cool. If you do a booklet version, it would be very cool to print that out someday!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » August 9th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Kurgan wrote:Very cool. If you do a booklet version, it would be very cool to print that out someday!

Yeah, of course I will probably do it and share in the future but I think is better firstly having a mature ellectronic version of all the game contents since minor modifications could appear in the already translated items so, step by step.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » May 1st, 2022, 5:18 pm

Hi,

Inn's member lucapaschi has kindly provided to the Community a really good scan of the original 1991's Japanese Edition Screen, much better than the one we had until now. I have included it in the following file:

HQ_Japanese_Screen_1991_[JAP]_[READ-VERSION].pdf

Thank you so much for your great contribution, lucapaschi!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » May 1st, 2022, 5:42 pm

The last high quality scan provided by lucapaschi has let me checking if our first extraction of Japanese characters, from the only poor scan we had, was correct as presented in previous posts of this thread.

Once performed the new checks, I concluded there were some incorrect characters in previous extraction, but fortunately the meaning of the sentences we already translated does not change in any case (I guess we did a good interpretation of the Japanese texts even without having all the correct data :-)).

Then, the new text data extraction from Japanese Screen is the following one(characters corrected from previous extraction are marked in green):

-------------------------------------------------------------

JAPANESE TEXT EXTRACTED FROM THE CENTRAL ZONE OF THE SCREEN'S BACK:

(第2章: クエスト4) 以降で使うもの

落とし穴
 トラップサーチで発見されるか、勇者が落とし穴のマスを通過すると、ゲーム盤上に操れる。
 落とし穴は障害物としてゲーム盤上に残る。ごのマスを通過することはできない。
 落とし穴に落ちた勇者はBPを1ポイント失う。
 落とし穴の中からサーチすることはできない、
 落とし穴の中で攻撃や防御をする場合, 通常よりも、Cダイスを 1個少なく振る。
 落とし穴はジャンプすることができる。(ルールブック15ページ參照)

クラッシュ
 トラップサーチで発見されるか、勇者がクラッシュのマスを通過すると、ゲーム盤上にれる。
 クラッシュは障害物としてゲーム盤上に残る。ごのマスを通過することはできない。
 クラッシュを作動させた勇者は、BPを2ポイント失い、もと来た方向に1マス戻される。戻る場所が空いていないとさ、その勇者は死

トラップの解除
ドワーフは1回の移動中、トラップに面するマスに止まら、トラップをひとつだけ 解除することができる。(詳しいことはルールブック16ページ參照)

GOOGLE TRANSLATOR: (no relevant changes compared with our current translation)

(Chapter 2: Quest 4) What to use later

Pit
 If found by trap search or if a hero passes through a pit, you can control it on the game board.
 Pit remains on the game board as an obstacle. You cannot pass through your square.
 A hero who falls into a pit loses 1 point of BP.
 You can't search through the pits,
 When attacking or defending in a pit, he rolls one less C-dice than usual.
 Pit can jump. (Rulebook page 15)

Crash
 Appears on the game board when found in a trap search or when a hero passes through a crash square.
 Crash remains on the game board as an obstacle. You cannot pass through your square.
 The hero who activated the crash loses 2 points of BP and is returned 1 square in the original direction. If there is no room to return, the hero will die.

Release the trap
During a single move, the dwarf can stop at the square facing the trap and unlock only one trap. (For details, see page 16 of the rule book)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Nevertheless, although we don't need to change any sentence from previous translated version, I have used lucapaschi's new scan to improve our previous translated Screen, now giving it the exact look that the original Japanese Screen had, instead of using an edited version of an EU screen scan. Here you have the result:

HQ_Japanese_Screen_in_English_v1.1_by_HispaZargon_[READ-VERSION].pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » May 4th, 2022, 3:11 pm

fantastic work guys!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero: