• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Japanese HeroQuest: Card Translations

Members who have translated, or would like to translate any Resources that weren't originally released in their language, or is unavailable on the Home Page may post their progress and results in this forum.

Re: Japanese HeroQuest: Card Translations

Postby HispaZargon » Wednesday December 15th, 2021 3:48pm

Hi, I have improved both Equipment and Legendary Treasure cards translation files with the following corrections in texts:

- Crossbow Equipment card: word "but" replaced by word "so" to add better sense to the text.

- Freeze Bow Legendary Treasure card: text translation corrected according to this post.

- Talisman of Lore Legendary Treasure card: original Japanese text did not limit the artifact use to a "Quest" so saying that I think it would create missunderstandings since I think the idea of game designers was allowing the use of Talisman of Lore between quests, like the Temple-donation-revival described in the Rulebook, which is also supposed to be done before starting a new quest (otherwise how the heroes could go to a Temple if they are fighting inside a dungeon? I think it makes no sense), so I finally translated it by means of its literal translation, using the ambiguous words "on the way" instead of "on the Quest", which I think matches better with the designers intended meaning (use it between quests).

You can find the corrected version 1.1 of those files already uploaded in previous posts.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday December 15th, 2021 4:14pm

That makes sense. So the Talisman of Lore isn't an endless supply of game tokens for infinite continues in an arcade video game... it's just a way to avoid having to restart with a new character after dying in a quest on the NEXT one.

One more small revision suggestion for 1.1 equipment. Shouldn't "Plate armour" be rendered as "Plate Armour" ? You capitalized "Chain Mail" after all, to retain consistency...

Thanks for the updates...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » Wednesday December 15th, 2021 4:17pm

Kurgan wrote:One more small revision suggestion for 1.1 equipment. Shouldn't "Plate armour" be rendered as "Plate Armour" ? You capitalized "Chain Mail" after all, to retain consistency...

Thanks for the updates...

Well, I intentionally do it as it is in the original UK version of HeroQuest... I prefer to capitalize them but I thought it was incorrect from grammar point of view. The same happens with Hand axe and Short sword... If you think all-words-in-capitals is correct I may change it.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » Wednesday December 15th, 2021 6:34pm

Hi, again.

Continuing with the Japanese Edition cards translation, I am glad to share with the Inn members the translation of the eight MONSTER CARDS.

I took the raw scans of the original cards from this post but they were not too clean, so I firstly decided to make the following cleaned and printable PDF version of them, which I used as master version:

HQ_Japanese_Cards_Monster_1991_[JAP]_[PRINT-VERSION].pdf

As previous ones, the PDF file is designed to be printed in adhesive paper, to fold each card pair of faces through the middle line, to stick both faces to a thin cardboard like a sandwich and finally to cut the boundaries of each card assembly using a paper-cutter or guillotine.

I took as basis the translation of the monsters stats already included in page 31 of my/our translated Quest Book, so no furhter comments about it.

Again, I have intentionally used the font Aldine721BT instead of font Gaze. Font Gaze is used in EU cards titles but, trying to give a different look to the Japanese game components, it is a font I intentionally avoided to use in the already translated components, so I have followed the same criterion for the cards. And again, number of dice are written in the cards by means of a number instead of a word, like in the original Japanese texts. Exceptionally, I used font Caslon Antique for the card titles in order to add some diversity since monster cards are quite different than the rest; moreover this is the same font I used for the same purpose in page 31 of the Quest Book.

Well, according to all herein above, here you have the translated Monster cards to English:

HQ_Japanese_Cards_Monster_in_English_v1.0_by_HispaZargon_[PRINT-VERSION].pdf

Of course if you find anything that you think should be corrected, please tell me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HispaZargon on Tuesday December 28th, 2021 2:07pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday December 15th, 2021 6:39pm

You are getting through these fast, only Treasure and Spells remain by my count.
Christmas has come early this year for me... thanks for sharing these! |_P

Looking back over the Equipment cards, the distributions you've shown indicate that there will be no "shortage of equipment" considering heroes have limitations on what types of equipment they can use (not just the Wizard aka Magician this time).

The only thing would be that the Heroes can't buy a big stockpile of potions as they could in the 2021 remake. That is, once those four Potions of Healing are purchased, they can't buy any more until some get used up (and make their way back to the stocks of the "Armory"). I presume Potions could be sold back at half value as well (very rare cases when that would ever be desirable).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » Thursday December 16th, 2021 5:08pm

Yeah, those decks are the only pending ones.

I have uploaded again all the monster cards with a brighter version, original scans were quite dark.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » Friday December 17th, 2021 1:40am

Very enlightening to re-read some of Bob-Bob's old posts. I guess back when I first discovered the conversations here on the Inn regarding the Japanese edition, I was just excited to see it converted into NA format. But over time you've gotten me to care about the original game and what it was like. It really is like a second discovery of an ancient treasure.

The layers of work that went into this from the community (in the broadest possible sense not just this site) made this discovery possible and it can be shared with the world. I wonder what Takara thinks of the new release?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Friday December 17th, 2021 10:56pm

HispaZargon wrote:. . .
- Like with the rest of game components, I tried to make the most accurate translation of the cards without adapting their rules to any other existing game systems like EU or NA. The original Japanese text of four of the Legendary Treasure cards say they are owned by one of the heroes, BUT in contrast to what was concluded in previous post, the original cards do not say that their use is limited to one hero so in the final translated text I have not written a different thing from the original text. In other words, considering that an artifact may only be used by a hero is a change in the artifact gaming rules since it is not what the original text tells. We could guess that i.e. the Silver Blade may not be used by the Magician but, that is not said by the original text. The original text only says what artifact is owned by each hero but it does not mean that i.e. the Warrior cannot use the Flame Axe. I think the heroes are allowed to use them in other custom questpack or even in the final quest of the Japanese questbook if other hero dies. If I am wrong, for example the heroes will never defeat Grimdead in the final quest if i.e. the Dwarf or the Warrior dies since no other character can use their weapons, which I think has not too much sense since it is so unbalanced and Japanese version of the game uses to be quite easy for the heroes... Well, if the Elf dies in the final quest, yes, the heroes will have a problem since it is supposed that the Elf is the only one who knows how to use a bow according to the Japanese character boards, but I think it is the only exception, fortunately the Elf is able to attack Grimdead from a distance by using the Freeze Bow... interesting topic :-). . .

Sounds okay as originally intended. Glad you took the deep dive. Some alternative translation ideas are forthcoming . . .

By the way, thanks for crediting Kurgan and I on that snazzy appendix page!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Sunday December 19th, 2021 3:13am

A note on formatting aesthetics: I see you went for both right-side and left-side justification. While this matches the JA look, characters achieve margins effortlessly, while words require odd spacing. I'd recommend following UK formatting of single spaces between words for easier reading.

LEGENDARY TREASURE CARDS

Talisman of Lore: I'm not sure what went in the Rules of Play, but the UK 2nd ed. doesn't capitalize hero.

Flame Axe: I'd simplify "The Flame Axe should be owned by the Dwarf." > The Dwarf gets the Flame Axe.

Wand of Recall: same change as Flame Axe

Silver Blade: same change as Flame Axe

Freeze Bow: same change as Flame Axe

EQUIPMENT CARDS

Potion of Healing: I'd change ". . . instead of moving in your turn." > . . . instead of moving on your turn.
"Anyone may use it" > May be used by anyone.

Spear (Javelin): I'd change ". . . Spears may be thrown, but they are lost when thrown." > A Spear may also be thrown, but if you throw it, you lose the Spear.
[I translated the two lines seperately to avoid repeating passive "be/are thrown.."]

Stick: Of stick, club, or cudgel I can see visually why you chose stick. The terms are basically interchangeable, though club is the most prevalent in translators I tried and as discussed in this JA article I found. My understanding is that "staff" seems to be a more utilitarian device, while "club" is used for a weapon.

Other key art references for the Japanese translator were the Magician Character Card and figure. I think the matching weapon is best described as a quarterstaff due to the ferrule and general size and length (though a bit short.) Problem is, Japanese lacks that word as it's an English weapon.

I suspect UK "Staff" was translated to JA "Club/Stick" because of the combat use in Hero Quest. If that combat nature is to be translated back into English while avoiding the awkward "Stick" or "Club", it may be desirable to use Quarterstaff instead.

Crossbow: I'd change ". . . You may only use it to attack enemies at a distance, so you cannot attack enemies on squares surrounding you.. . ." > You can use it to attack enemies that are at a distance, but you cannot attack enemies that are in contact with you.

[I chose closer to the original Japanese by sticking with "in contact with you." My feeling is the Rules of Play define "in contact" as 8 surrounding squares, so the Evil God player is meant to figure it out.]

If you don't agree, change ". . . so you cannot attack enemies on squares surrounding you.. . ." > . . . so you cannot attack enemies in squares surrounding you.. . .

Chain Mail: I'd change "Chain Mail" > Chain mail.
[I know you're following the UK card faithfully, but I also feel it should be considered an errata.]

I'd change ". . . Wearing the Chain Mail allows you to roll 3 combat dice in defence." > Wearing Chain Mail allows you to roll 3 combat dice in defence.
[I'm following the UK card by omitting "the."]

Plate mail: I'd change ". . . Wearing the Plate armour allows you to roll 4 combat dice in defence." > . . . Wearing Plate armour allows you to roll 4 combat dice in defence.
[same reason as Chain mail]

Hand axe, Short sword, Broadsword, Cloak, Shield, Helmet: Love 'em--don't change a thing!

The iimproved Monster Cards look great, by the way!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » Sunday December 19th, 2021 1:21pm

Your collaboration is always welcome, Daedalus, Thank you!. Here are my answers to your post:
Daedalus wrote:Sounds okay as originally intended. Glad you took the deep dive. Some alternative translation ideas are forthcoming . . .

By the way, thanks for crediting Kurgan and I on that snazzy appendix page!

All people involved will have a space there. You know this job in not just mine, I am only the last shackle of an old chain of fan works.

Daedalus wrote:A note on formatting aesthetics: I see you went for both right-side and left-side justification. While this matches the JA look, characters achieve margins effortlessly, while words require odd spacing. I'd recommend following UK formatting of single spaces between words for easier reading.

Yeah, I know what you mean and you are right but I like to give this Edition a different look as close as posible to the original Japanese look. It is an uncertain decission, sure, but at this moment I prefer keep it justified at both sides.

Daedalus wrote:LEGENDARY TREASURE CARDS

Talisman of Lore: I'm not sure what went in the Rules of Play, but the UK 2nd ed. doesn't capitalize hero.

Yeah, you are right. Changed in next version of the cards.

Daedalus wrote:Flame Axe: I'd simplify "The Flame Axe should be owned by the Dwarf." > The Dwarf gets the Flame Axe.

Wand of Recall: same change as Flame Axe

Silver Blade: same change as Flame Axe

Freeze Bow: same change as Flame Axe

Ok revising this.... What do you think if I better write "The Flame Axe should be taken by the Dwarf."

Daedalus wrote:_____________________________________________

EQUIPMENT CARDS

Potion of Healing: I'd change ". . . instead of moving in your turn." > . . . instead of moving on your turn.
"Anyone may use it" > May be used by anyone.

Spear (Javelin): I'd change ". . . Spears may be thrown, but they are lost when thrown." > A Spear may also be thrown, but if you throw it, you lose the Spear.
[I translated the two lines seperately to avoid repeating passive "be/are thrown.."]

You are right, I will include those changes too in next version of the cards.

Daedalus wrote:Stick: Of stick, club, or cudgel I can see visually why you chose stick. The terms are basically interchangeable, though club is the most prevalent in translators I tried and as discussed in this JA article I found. My understanding is that "staff" seems to be a more utilitarian device, while "club" is used for a weapon.

Other key art references for the Japanese translator were the Magician Character Card and figure. I think the matching weapon is best described as a quarterstaff due to the ferrule and general size and length (though a bit short.) Problem is, Japanese lacks that word as it's an English weapon.

I suspect UK "Staff" was translated to JA "Club/Stick" because of the combat use in Hero Quest. If that combat nature is to be translated back into English while avoiding the awkward "Stick" or "Club", it may be desirable to use Quarterstaff instead.

I also like club... do you think it would be the better term to use?

Daedalus wrote:Crossbow: I'd change ". . . You may only use it to attack enemies at a distance, so you cannot attack enemies on squares surrounding you.. . ." > You can use it to attack enemies that are at a distance, but you cannot attack enemies that are in contact with you.

[I chose closer to the original Japanese by sticking with "in contact with you." My feeling is the Rules of Play define "in contact" as 8 surrounding squares, so the Evil God player is meant to figure it out.]

If you don't agree, change ". . . so you cannot attack enemies on squares surrounding you.. . ." > . . . so you cannot attack enemies in squares surrounding you.. . .

Ok, I will change the wording but I will kept the term "surrounding" since that was the term used by bluesun in his Rulebook translation, he did not use "contact" word for it. Moreover if you check the Japanese characters in the card you will see they match better with "surrounding" translation than "adjacent" so I think we can avoid any ambiguity not using "in contact". Moreover (x2), the rulebook chapter where are explained how projectile weapons may be used it is also told by bluesun "surrounding" squares... Then, I don't see any reason to introduce in the card any ambiguity in this case by using "contact" squares term.

I will also adapt the Freeze Bow text in the same way if it applies.

Daedalus wrote:Chain Mail: I'd change "Chain Mail" > Chain mail.
[I know you're following the UK card faithfully, but I also feel it should be considered an errata.]

Yeah,I will change it. Kurgan also noticed it somewhere.

Daedalus wrote:I'd change ". . . Wearing the Chain Mail allows you to roll 3 combat dice in defence." > Wearing Chain Mail allows you to roll 3 combat dice in defence.
[I'm following the UK card by omitting "the."]

Plate mail: I'd change ". . . Wearing the Plate armour allows you to roll 4 combat dice in defence." > . . . Wearing Plate armour allows you to roll 4 combat dice in defence.
[same reason as Chain mail]

Ok,I will change it.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Resource Translations