• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Japanese HeroQuest: Card Translations

Members who have translated, or would like to translate any Resources that weren't originally released in their language, or is unavailable on the Home Page may post their progress and results in this forum.

Re: Japanese HeroQuest: Card Translations

Postby Sjeng » May 4th, 2013, 9:51 am

check this topic for remakes of these special artifact weapons and items. Some changes have been made to make them a bit more "special". I like them better than the original 1 extra die versions.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby AerynB » May 5th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Sjeng wrote:check this topic for remakes of these special artifact weapons and items. Some changes have been made to make them a bit more "special". I like them better than the original 1 extra die versions.

I'm still glad Malcadon did a proper translation of the Japanese artifacts. Bastianbux said he was tweaking his quests and cards some and that's great, but it's good to know how the original Japanese rules, cards, and quests were designed too. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » May 8th, 2013, 8:14 am

Yes, I think exactly the same... It’s better to have the original texts. I will use the tools from the forum to make them all looking exactly as the original (American version) and ready to print. Then I’ll send them to drathe.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » May 8th, 2013, 10:30 am

Then I'll try to make the cards in the EU format as well ;)
I hope you're gonna make the booklet in the standard vertical format (not the BQP/EQP horizontal booklet format) though.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 8th, 2013, 11:08 am

Sjeng, I suggest you make two pdfs.
One with just the cards different from the other versions, and one with the complete decks.
Makes sense to me, at least.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » May 8th, 2013, 12:06 pm

what do you mean? One set different as in European style?
And the one with the complete decks?

I'm planning on doing all the japanese cards translated in English, EU format.
I might also make the alternative ones with the changed rules that were posted here, but only for the artefacts.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » May 8th, 2013, 1:45 pm

I mean a pdf with all cards and a pdf with only those cards that are different from the UK versions.
Most treaure cards are the same, e.g. so printing all of them when only a few extras are needed adding to those you already have would be a tad wasteful.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » May 8th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Gotcha.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » May 9th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Sjeng wrote:Then I'll try to make the cards in the EU format as well ;)
I hope you're gonna make the booklet in the standard vertical format (not the BQP/EQP horizontal booklet format) though.

Yes Sjeng, vertical of course.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 26th, 2013, 5:37 am

So, here's my take on the cards re-worded from Malcadon's translations to match published British style.
For completeness' reasons, an American version for the armoury sheet (among others) with re-wordings and different spelling might be needed.

EQUIPMENT: I chose to consistently keep the weapon names uncapitalized in-sentence. My original British cards alternate between capitalization and lower case.

ARTEFACTS: I decided to go with formulaic formulations for the artifact cards as there's some parallelism going on there. Anyhow, this might bechanged in favor of diversity like in the equpiment card texts.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Equipment

4 Potion of Healing, 3 Shield, 2 Helmet, everything else once.

Potion of Healing
This small bottle contains a potion of healing. You may drink the potion at any time instead of moving. It will restore up to four lost Body points. The card is then discarded.
Cost 200 gold coins

Shield
The shield gives you one extra die in defence.
Cost 150 gold coins
May not be used by Wizard
ARMOUR

Helmet
The helmet gives you one extra combat die in defence.
Cost 250 gold coins
May not be used by Wizard or Elf
ARMOUR

Cloak of Protection

The cloak allows you to roll one extra die in defence.
Cost 350 gold coins
May only be used by Wizard
ARMOUR

Chain mail
Chain mail armour allows you to roll three combat dice in defence.
Cost 500 gold coins
ARMOUR

Plate armour
Plate armour allows you to roll four combat dice in defence.
Cost 850 gold coins
MAy only be used by Barbarian
ARMOUR

Staff
The staff allows you to roll two combat dice in attack. The staff may be used to attack diagonally.
Cost 100 gold coins
WEAPON

Spear
The spear wllows you to roll two combat dice in attack. The spear may be used to attack diagonally. You may also throw the spear but if you do so you lose it.
Cost 150 gold coins
WEAPON

Hand axe
The hand axe allows you to roll three combat dice in attack. You may also throw the hand axe but if you do so you lose it.
Cost 250 gold coins
WEAPON

Short sword
The short sword allows you to roll three combat dice in attack. The short sword may be used to attack diagonally.
Cost 250 gold coins
WEAPON

Crossbow
The crossbow allows you to roll three combat dice in attack. You may not use the crossbow against an opponent who is adjacent to you.
Cost 350 gold coins
May only be used by Elf
WEAPON

Broadsword
The broadsword allows you to roll four combat dice in attack.
Cost 250 gold coins
May only be used by Barbarian
WEAPON
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Artefact

Wand of Recall
The Wand of Recall allows you to cast one spell of your choice as often as you wish during one quest.
May only be used by Wizard

Amulet of Life
The Amulet of Life allows you to resurrect any fallen Hero. Once a Hero has been revived, all his gold is lost. Each Hero may only be resurrected once.

Frost Bow
The Frost Bow is an enchanted longbow. It allows youto roll four combat dice in attack You may not use the Frost Bow against an opponent who is adjacent to you.
May only be used by Elf
WEAPON

Flame Axe
The Flame Axe is an enchanted battle axe. It allows you to roll four combat dice in attack.
May only be used by Dwarf
WEAPON

Silver Blade
The Silver Blade is an enchanted broadsword. It allows you to roll five combat dice in attack.
May only be used by Barbarian

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Treasure

Wandering Monster
As you are busy searching, a Zombie stalks up on you and attacks. The Evil Wizard player may place the monster in any square next to you. The Zombie attacks immediately and you may not defend yourself against this attck. Then, the monster flees immediatly. Return this card to the treasure pile.
[I don't know if the monster just uses its movement points to get away from the Hero or if it's taken from the board after its attack.]

Wandering Monster
As you are busy searching, a Skeleton stalks up on you and attacks. The Evil Wizard player may place the monster in any square next to you. The skeleton attacks immediately and you may not defend yourself against this attck. Then, the monster flees immediatly. Return this card to the treasure pile.
[I don't know if the monster just uses its movement points to get away from the Hero or if it's taken from the board after its attack.]

Wandering Monster
As you are busy searching, a Mummy stalks up on you and attacks. The Evil Wizard player may place the monster in any square next to you. The Mummy attacks immediately and you may not defend yourself against this attck. Then, the monster flees immediatly. Return this card to the treasure pile.

Wandering Monster
As you are busy searching, an Orc stalks up on you and attacks. The Evil Wizard player may place the monster in any square next to you. The Orc attacks immediately and you may not defend yourself against this attck. Then, the monster flees immediatly. Return this card to the treasure pile.

Wandering Monster
As you are busy searching, a Goblin stalks up on you and attacks. The Evil Wizard player may place the monster in any square next to you. The goblin attacks immediately and you may not defend yourself against this attck. Then, the monster flees immediatly. Return this card to the treasure pile.

Trap!
The stone beneath your foot begins to give way and all too late you realize it is a trap. You fall into a pit and lose one Body point. You may climb out and move as normal on your next turn. The pit then closes. Return this card to the treasure pile.

Trap!
As you search you unwittingly set off a trap. An arrow shoots out from the wall. You must lose one Body point. Return this card to the treasure pile.

Trap!
You feel the gentle pressure of a trip wire against your leg, you spin round ... but it is too late. You lose one Body point from the crossbow bolt that shoots from the wall. Return this card to the treasure pile.

Gold!
You search and find small amounts of gold hidden in several places. But you lose track of time. Roll one red die and multiply the result by ten to see how many gold coins you find. Miss your next go. Record the money on the back of your character sheet.

Gold!
Amidst the clutter, the old rags, the greasy fur robes and soiled blankets, you find 25 gold coins. Record the money on the back of your character sheet.

Gold!
You find a loose stone behind which is hidden a small leather pouch wrapped in an old rag. You look inside the pouch and find 35 gold coins. Record the money on the back of your character sheet.

Jewels!
You find a small wooden box. The box is plain and old but within ... it is lined with velvetz and contains 50 gold coins' worth of jewels. Record the money on the back of your character sheet.

Gem!
Tucked into the toe of an old boot you find a valuable gem. The stone is worth 50 gold coins. Record the money on the back of your character sheet.

Treasure Hoard!
Luck is with you. A small treasure chest you find, hidden under an old fur, contains 100 gold coins. Record the money on the back of your character sheet.

Potion of Healing
Enveloped in a bundle of rags you find a small bottle of liquid. You recognise it as a healing potion. You may drink the potion at any time instead of taking an action on this turn. It will restore up to three lost Body points. The card is then discarded.

Potion of Healing
Enveloped in a bundle of rags you find a small bottle of liquid. You recognise it as a healing potion. You may drink the potion at any time instead of taking an action on this turn. It will restore up to four lost Body points. The card is then discarded.

Potion of Resilience
Amidst a collection of old bottles and earthen jugs you find a small, clear vial, a potion of resilience. It may be taken at any time. You may then roll two extra combat dice when you next defend. The card is then discarded.

Potion of Strength
You find a small purple bottle. It is a potion of strength. You may drink the potion at any time. It will enable you to roll two extra combat dice in your next attack. The card is then discarded.

Heroic Brew
A leather bag hanging on the wall contains a potion. It is a heroic brew. The potion may be taken just before you are about to attack. Any player who drinks the potion will be able to make two attacks instead of one, for one turn only. The card is then discarded.

Potion of Speed
Standing on a shelf you see a dusty bottle. As you wipe it clean, you realize it is a potion of speed. You may drink the potion at any time. It will allow you to roll twice as many dice as usual the next time you move. The card is then discarded.

Holy Water
Discarded and forgotten in a corner of the room you find a vial of holy water. You may use th holy water instead of attacking. It will kill one undead creature (Skeleton, Zombie, or Mummy) immediately. The card is then discarded.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spells

Fire

Courage
This spell may be cast on any one player. That player may then throw two extra combat dice each time he attacks, until the spell is broken. The spell is broken when there are no more monsters visible to that player. The spell is then discarded.

Ball of Flame
This spell may be cast on any one monster or player, enveloping him in a burst of fire. You may roll three combat dice. Each skull rolled inflicts one Body point of damage on the victim. The spell is then discarded.

Fire of Wrath

This spell may be cast on any one monster or player, anywhere on the board. It will seek out your enemy and inflict two Body points of damage. The victim may throw one combat die. If he rolls a shield the damage is reduced to one Body point. The spell is then discarded.

Earth

Heal Body
This spell may be cast on any one player. It will restore up to four Body points that have been lost. The spell is then discarded.

Rock Skin
This spell may be cast on any one player. That player may then throw two extra combat dice in defence, until the spell is broken. The spell is broken when that player is wounded. The spell is then discarded.

Pass through Rock
This spell may be cast on any one player. That player may then move through walls when he next moves. The player may move through as many walls as his movement will allow. The spell is then discarded.

Water

Water of Healing
This spell may be cast on any one player. It will restore up to four Body points that have been lost. The spell is then discarded.

Veil of Mist
This spell may be cast on any one player. That player may then move unseen through spaces that are occupied by other players or monsters the next time he moves. The spell is then discarded.

Sleep
This spell will put one monster or player to sleep. He may try to defend himself by rolling one combat die per Mind point. If he rolls a shield he is unaffected. Once asleep he may not defend if attacked. He will awake immediately after he is first attacked. The spell is then discarded.

Air

Swift Wind
This spell will be cast on any one player. That player may move to any one space in his line of sight the next time he moves. The spell is then discarded.

Genie
This spell conjures up a genie who will attack anyone on the board. He will attack only once with three combat dice. The spell is then discarded.

Tempest
A small tempest is created which envelops one monster or player of your choice. That monster or player will then miss his next turn. The spell is then discarded.
Last edited by knightkrawler on June 1st, 2013, 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Resource Translations