• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Japanese HeroQuest: Rulebook Translation

Members who have translated, or would like to translate any Resources that weren't originally released in their language, or is unavailable on the Home Page may post their progress and results in this forum.

Re: Japanese HeroQuest: Rulebook Translation

Postby HispaZargon » July 10th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Hi,

I am finishing the last pages of the rulebook but I would like to share with you in advance two topics:

1.- Bob-Bob & bluesun's great translation called the final part of the rules as 'Expert Rules', well, this translation is correct but in my opinion, it is more correct to call it as 'Advanced Rules' since I think it matches better with the title of the other chapters ('Beginner Rules' and 'Intermediate Rules') and, additionally, 'Expert' sounds like... 'Too-Expert', which does not correspond with the real difficulty associated to the content of this final chapter. What do you prefer, call it 'Expert Rules' or 'Advanced Rules' ?

2.- Bottom of page 23 of the rulebook includes a note to the customer and a label with company data. I thought it would be interesting to also translate it so, here I send you for your comments both the original detail and the translated draft I have prepared:

Company_Data_Original.JPG

Company_Data_Translated.JPG

I made this translation using Google Translator with very few adaptations so, please tell me if something is not correct. The only characters I thought it should be kept in japanese is the 'Takara' company logo (タカラ), as shown. I also checked that the translated addresses exist today so they appear to be correct. Of course I did not check the phone numbers... :lol: but who knows, maybe The Demon King Grimdead answers at the other side of the phone! hahaha... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HispaZargon on July 11th, 2021, 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby iKarith » July 11th, 2021, 6:48 pm

I think Advanced Rules is probably appropriate.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 12th, 2021, 8:54 am

sounds better than Super Saiyan Rules.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 13th, 2021, 6:54 pm

HispaZargon wrote:Ok, if I understood well, you think that using "sorcerer's table" is more correct than using "altar", so I will use the first one, isn't it? Please, correct me if I am wrong. About the rack, I prefer translating it as "torture table". About "drawer" I will not use it.

I like the sound of sorcerer's table, but altar is part of the Rules of Play. Both are good, but only altar makes an appearance in another UK product. The Dark Company has a Room B of the gold section with an altar, not a sorcerer's table. My vote.gets pushed for altar.

HispaZargon wrote:. . . The explanation about the die-cast parts that is missing in the original japanese text, I think it can be treated as a errata of the original document so, no problem from my side to add it to the translated version.

Cool. "Paper" really felt lost in translation.

Daedalus wrote:. . . 7. "Remove the bottles from the grey sprue and attach it to the right side of the top of the alchemist’s bench as shown in the picture." > Remove the bottles from the grey sprue and attach them to the top-right side of the alchemist’s bench, as shown.
*Also remove the scales from the brown sprue and place them on the left side of the alchemist’s bench, as shown.

HispaZargon wrote:Ok, changes applied but again, I have adapted them a little bit according to the available space. The sentence about the scales that is missing in the original japanese text, I think it can be treated as a errata of the original document so, no problem from my side to also add it to the translated version.

I like your jugdement. There definitely was an extra sentence in the Japanese copy I was translating from, though I believe AerynB discounted it. The sentence about the scales was an uneducated guess on my part, as the Google Translate version was a mess. Two of the three characters for scales showed up there, but apparently split apart by "beauty book.". It only was the UK box that made me aware that the extra.sentence possibly referred to scales, but the translated part about the left side of the drawer confirmed it.

Daedalus wrote:8. "Attach the rats of the brown sprue and the skulls of the white sprue wherever you like, such as into the holes of the torture rack, cupboard, etc." > Attach the rats from the brown runner and the skulls from the white runner as you like, such as in the holes of the cupboard and rack.

HispaZargon wrote:Ok, changes applied but I used word "sprue" instead of "runner".

Oops--I missed that runner thing when I edited my post from the Premier Edition to the Second Edition. Good thing you caught it!

Daedalus wrote:9. ". . . Then, attach the two candles at holes. None cardboard part must be attached in the bottom of the altar. > . . . A card part isn't used for the altar. Carefully fit the two candles into the alter.

HispaZargon wrote:Right, changes applied but I used "sorcerer's table" instead of "altar".

Also changed this to altar if you agree with the top of this post.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 13th, 2021, 7:16 pm

HispaZargon wrote:1.- Bob-Bob & bluesun's great translation called the final part of the rules as 'Expert Rules', well, this translation is correct but in my opinion, it is more correct to call it as 'Advanced Rules' since I think it matches better with the title of the other chapters ('Beginner Rules' and 'Intermediate Rules') and, additionally, 'Expert' sounds like... 'Too-Expert', which does not correspond with the real difficulty associated to the content of this final chapter. What do you prefer, call it 'Expert Rules' or 'Advanced Rules' ?

I'd say the only reason to keep Expert is to maintain a foreign feel to the translation. Since you feel Advanced is a better description, why not go ahead and improve the translation with Advanced, the better English meaning? Games Workshop did.

HispaZargon wrote:2.- Bottom of page 23 of the rulebook includes a note to the customer and a label with company data. I thought it would be interesting to also translate it so, here I send you for your comments both the original detail and the translated draft I have prepared:

Company_Data_Original.JPG

Company_Data_Translated.JPG

I made this translation using Google Translator with very few adaptations so, please tell me if something is not correct. The only characters I thought it should be kept in japanese is the 'Takara' company logo (タカラ), as shown. I also checked that the translated addresses exist today so they appear to be correct. Of course I did not check the phone numbers... :lol: but who knows, maybe The Demon King Grimdead answers at the other side of the phone! hahaha... :D

I prefer applying English grammar for clarity, so "...If you have any questions about the product, sorry to trouble you but, please contact the "Customer Service Center". > ...If you have any questions about the product, sorry to trouble you, but please contact the "Customer Service Center".
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » July 13th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Hi guys, these days I am quite busy but I will try to going on with this subject as posible. Thank you for your comments, my answers are below:

Daedalus wrote:I like the sound of sorcerer's table, but altar is part of the Rules of Play. Both are good, but only altar makes an appearance in another UK product. The Dark Company has a Room B of the gold section with an altar, not a sorcerer's table. My vote.gets pushed for altar.

Ok, I also like both names so, maybe doing a mixture of the two names could be a good idea? Or is better to choose one? I will think about it again, no problem.

Daedalus wrote:Cool. "Paper" really felt lost in translation.

Yes, absolutely.

Daedalus wrote:I like your jugdement. There definitely was an extra sentence in the Japanese copy I was translating from, though I believe AerynB discounted it.  The sentence about the scales was an uneducated guess on my part, as the Google Translate version was a mess. Two of the three characters for scales showed up there, but apparently split apart by "beauty book.". It only was the UK box that made me aware that the extra.sentence possibly referred to scales,  but the translated part about the left side of the drawer confirmed it.

Yes, one of the criteria I have followed since the beginning of this work is trying to correct those clear failures/errata/missing-words or non-sense sentences that can be found in some locatios of the original japanese document and, this one is a clear example.

Daedalus wrote:Also changed this to altar if you agree with the top of this post.

Ok, I will consider it in line with above mentioned.

iKarith wrote:I think Advanced Rules is probably appropriate.

Kurgan wrote:sounds better than Super Saiyan Rules.

Daedalus wrote:I'd say the only reason to keep Expert is to maintain a foreign feel to the translation. Since you feel Advanced is a better description, why not go ahead and improve the translation with Advanced, the better English meaning? Games Workshop did.

Well, according to your comments, I will name it as 'Advanced Rules', fortunately I see there is clear majority and, as Daedalus suggests, 'Advanced' is a usual term in GW products so by far I think choosing it places us in the apropriate side.

Daedalus wrote:I prefer applying English grammar for clarity, so "...If you have any questions about the product, sorry to trouble you but, please contact the "Customer Service Center". > ...If you have any questions about the product, sorry to trouble you, but please contact the "Customer Service Center".

Yes, of course you are right, I will change it. Such comma position would be correct in Spanish but not in English.
Last edited by HispaZargon on July 14th, 2021, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 14th, 2021, 2:12 am

HispaZargon wrote:
Daedalus wrote:I like the sound of sorcerer's table, but altar is part of the Rules of Play. Both are good, but only altar makes an appearance in another UK product. The Dark Company has a Room B of the gold section with an altar, not a sorcerer's table. My vote.gets pushed for altar.

Ok, I also like both names so, maybe doing a mixture of the two names could be a good idea? Or is better to choose one? I will think about it again, no problem.

I believe the problem is is with the (German Regelbuch copy) Japanese Google mistranslation medicinal path/medicinal herbs/pharmacy which matches alchemist’s bench best. I have no idea if altar or sorcerer's table works better for this in Japanese ancient culture. For some reason AerynB's Japanese Google translates as altar, so I'd go with that.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » July 14th, 2021, 12:56 pm

It does look very much like an altar.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » July 14th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Kurgan wrote:It does look very much like an altar.

I suspect one of the reasons it wasn't called an altar has something to do with the Satanic Panic.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 14th, 2021, 5:35 pm

Maybe. Then again, wasn't any hint of magic during that period considered fodder for the "panic"? Without getting mired in taboo topics of course. I was just a kid at the time.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext