• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

KS - 3D Egyptian Themed Dungeon Tiles

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: KS - 3D Egyptian Themed Dungeon Tiles

Postby QorDaq » August 5th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Thantos wrote:... sooon, sooooon ... 30mm plastic dungeon tiles will slay the outdated and cramped 25mm predecessors :twisted:

...*Woot*...!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: KS - 3D Egyptian Themed Dungeon Tiles

Postby Daedalus » June 20th, 2017, 6:29 pm

knightkrawler wrote:It would also not be a terrible choice to just go and open up a, say, oneandahalfinches market for yourself and be the ruler of that market for quite some time.
Especially on the crowdfunding bandwagon.
I don't get how established and non-established companies alike don't see it.
Maybe I'm completely off and it's all too expensive in the making... but there's never even a hint of an attempt and it baffles me.

Compatibility has been cited already, but the expense you've mentioned must play a part--we're talking 50% more material per piece. For the same layout it is gonna necessarily cost more. Even the molds will be larger and add cost.

The scale presents other issues that we've talked about here with larger Hero Quest boards. A 50% larger table space requirement shrinks the potential market to those who own suitably large tables. Another issue is how scaled furniture doesn't fit a square quite as well, possibly introducing inconsistencies with a map intended for 1" scale. The same inconsistency of scale could apply to 1/2" wide walls, if you have them.

As you well know,, scale can be fudged in these cases with bases, partial squares abutting walls, or whatever, but not everybody wants to do that. It goes back to compatibility. So it appears to me that dungeon makers keep hedging their bets and go with the perceived maximum pool of backers.

I gotta agree with you that it would be nice to see the market expanded with larger formats. Fortunately, Thantos has such a project planned. True Tiles, Wyloch's 3D-printed offering, has 1.25" squares. Also, 3D printing files and software allow for scaling, so any printed dungeon tile set can be made 1 1/2" or whatever today. That is promising.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Market