• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

OLO Smartphone 3D printer

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

OLO Smartphone 3D printer

Postby lucasdp » April 6th, 2016, 11:56 am

Has anyone checked out the OLO Smartphone 3D Printer?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ol ... 3d-printer

It looks sweet, but I'm pretty apprehensive for a lot of reasons. If it's as cool as it looks, this could be a total game-changer (think of all the homemade minis!), but I feel like it could be pushing into too-good-to-be-true territory...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: OLO Smartphone 3D printer

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » April 6th, 2016, 1:07 pm

I would be super apprehensive, although 3D print technology is moving fast, this seems like a huge step. I would wait until I have seen one in action 1st hand. I should imagine the actual print time is quite long like all 3D printers, so you would probably have to put your phone on flight mode as not to get calls or txts in the meantime that interrupt the print. That being said It would suit me but I have friends that have to look at their phone every 30 seconds, so if your one of them maybe not so good!

On another note I found that my ABS printer is good but it can't get the detail on 28mm minis from the .stl file. I would save up and get a laser resin printer, and have a brand in mind.

Back to point, although it has all the logos on the kickstarter page, I am still skeptical.

(Did any of that make sense, it feels like I am all over the place today!)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » April 6th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Totally makes sense. ;)
Yes, the phone has to be in Airplane Mode with all notifications off while printing, and it does take several hours.
And agreed, the level of detail (or possible lack thereof) available on something like this is certainly one reason I'm apprehensive.
Anyway, I was curious if anyone here was backing it. I love the idea of 3D printing becoming more accessible and easy to use, but I think I'm with you on the skeptical side of this one, Baylor.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » April 6th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Conceptually, this looks really interesting. Seems like a very cutting edge idea which is cool, but I am not sure I get the point of using a cell phone to provide, well, whatever it's providing, to use the device.

From the info on the KS page this thing would need your phone to be on continuously for > 2 Hours for a typical mini. As an experimental project, maybe not such a big deal, but most of the Cell Phones I've owned would probably die before that if they were somehow kept on and lit for such a time frame... Which probably means plugging the damn thing in.

For special, edge, situations that might be okay, certainly easy to travel with, but not a great way to print out components for games in my opinion. Or not routinely anyway, and if it's only going to get used very rarely then it's mostly a novelty since real 3D printing is slowly becoming [nearly] affordable anyway.

Just my thoughts on the practicality.

But yeah, as a concept; sooo cool. Nice find Lucas!

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » April 7th, 2016, 12:37 am

The idea is great but practicality ruins it. I'd prefer a dedicated printer for this. Someone should get Thantos' opinion since he's got a lot of experience.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Thantos » April 7th, 2016, 5:55 am

"Thantos, i chose you! *throws pokeaball* " :P

Im backing that one actually. (for $1 at the moment since im not convinced yet it will work for anything other than novelty shapes, as elaborated on below)

It's a really cool method that could be less of a pain in the ass than the usual DLP machines. And is better than any FDM printer detail of around the same price (if OLO works!) That's the good points.

But it also has no real release mechanism to release each layer after being printed, it just moves upwards and hopes that the flexible film will bend and release the layer rather than the vacuum force created by the layer, ripping your paint from the bed or detaching a layer. Im skeptical because they have only shown prints that are simple shapes with low slice layer surface area (like the egg full of holes). A model with a large surface area on each slice cross-section will create more force and i think will present problems with this printing method.

Also the bottom of the printer, the clear window (which needs replacing often as it degrades)... [dont let it degrade too much and rip, coating your $800 phone in resin!!!]
This window needs to be oxygen permeable to inhibit each layer fusing to it. AFAIAA, their window is not oxygen permeable. The prints may fuse to the window, meaning the window needs replacing and print always fails on some parts.

Plus they have no software for making support systems. So any complex object that is not shaped like a round part (ie models, miniatures anything that you actually WANT to print, instead of a novelty resin shape that you dont really want) can not be printed unless you manually create supports - which takes a lot of practice to get right, can take hours for complex parts (like miniatures), and needs some 3D modelling know-how

And lastly, i dont trust the company, they do not communicate and answer questions or address the concerns many people have. ..

That said, it's just $99. So I may up pledge to make the gamble.
I think dispatch will take around 2 years though for this volume of hardware.
If the gamble doesn't pay off - it will make a superb paperweight in the somewhat likely event it doesnt work as a printer ;)

Who else of us are gambling men? :lol:
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » April 7th, 2016, 1:14 pm

While we are on the subject, Thantos do you know if it is UV or Infra Red that the DLP?
... curiosity got my mind working on this and thought that the top part is a simple stepper motor, and that is the only mechanics. If I got a hold of the software and made a few mods, then all I would need is an old lcd tv on its back a blacked out fish tank, a large stepper motor and BAM giant OLO!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » April 7th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Thantos! |_P |_P |_P Thanks for your input! You answered questions I didn't even know I had!
I think I will wait and see what happens next in the world of 3D printing. This device is interesting, but I agree it seems a bit of a novelty and might not be that great for what I would actually want to use it for.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » April 7th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Thantos wrote:"Thantos, i chose you! *throws pokeaball* " :P

Sarcasm: *cough* Excuse me I'm too mature to be making reference to a little kids game. /Sarcasm Thanks for that Thantos. You likely have the most experience regarding this and am glad you provided us with your view.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » April 8th, 2016, 2:58 am

Thantos wrote:I think dispatch will take around 2 years though for this volume of hardware.

2years... Technology and price catches up.
You could have waited and bought a much better and cheaper printer.
Goddammit!

:lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Market