• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

An idea becomes reality : Tile Bases

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

An idea becomes reality : Tile Bases

Postby Seb » May 22nd, 2012, 9:03 am

Hi All,

Awhile ago I began experimenting with an idea that would inadvertently save countless Orcs and Goblins from slaughter. The issue? Well take the following Orc for example :

Wantonly sacrificed for his base, his demise allowing another Mighty Hero to rise!

Image Image Image

A common occurrence using uncommon parts. Like all things Heroquest, even the green hordes are diminishing amidst the halls of our favourite game and with them, the ability for collectors and gamers to expand their sets fades also.

My idea began as carved plastic, refined with the help of a good friend, it evolved into a 3D model. The result allows even our Mighty Hero to take on that same Orc without the greenskin's doom beforehand; well at least until the game starts!

The above is a new standalone base component designed to allow us all the ability to add whatever model we choose to Heroquest, without a single original figure being butchered. Thick enough for a decent pin underfoot or hoof, with cleaner and straighter lines and it suffers from no moulding warp like the original pieces.

In the end; it looks right at home :

Image Image

Even more so amongst friends :

The following are a few bases for comparison and underneath :

Image Image Image

It is the first product for Outworld miniatures, a closet miniature business I have been nurturing. I felt it fitting that the game which began my love of the hobby, be the first to benefit from a project of mine. You can see here the only blemish is the sprue contact, unlike the single mould line about the original, mercifully hidden under the base.

FURTHER USAGE EXAMPLES:

Image Image Image

DETAILS:

These will be expertly cast by my friend Zac at Resin Addict, who is renowned for his models which include giant mecha walkers and finely detailed starship models. Long practised at producing small part models using vacuum pressure chamber techniques and resin mixes that maximise strength and form.

We have a limited run, at the following price:

Tile Base set (5 Bases) - $8.00AUD
P+P Worldwide - $4.00 up to 2 sets.
P+P Worldwide - $4.75 unlimited sets.
(Australia post upped their prices in 2013, it's really affected all Aust.Garage hobbyists.)

Allow up to 14 Days to all locations on confirmation of send off. (It is invariably faster, but who knows? A goblin might waylay the packet a couple of days)

For those interested, please PM or send me a private email.

Thanks for reading everyone!
Sebastian.

background :
http://www.eastern-empire.com
http://www.sebastianstuart.com (Including Artisan Studios)
eBay : artisan-studios 567 trades at 100% since 2001
Last edited by Seb on November 4th, 2013, 2:56 am, edited 8 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: An idea becomes reality : Tile Bases

Postby Ethica » May 22nd, 2012, 9:45 am

It's about time! These are very nice indeed.

While I am sure the price reflects the cost to make them they are expensive for what they are.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 22nd, 2012, 12:22 pm

Seb wrote:the rounded lip US style will be produced as we move to higher volumes

I wouldn't bother doing this. It will save production costs and the exclusive American expansion miniatures have the same base as the European miniatures. Only the original miniatures have the rounded lip.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Seb » May 22nd, 2012, 5:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, also via PM.

Whole reason for a heads up before we get stuck in; is hearing from the community. Update shortly on progress toward production!

- Seb :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » May 23rd, 2012, 4:15 am

HI All,

I've taken on drathe's advice and forgone the idea of building toward new US base projects. With this off our radar we can focus completely on the Euro style which positively affects a few things.

By becoming quite specific on the postage and adjusting resources here are the new prices :D

A limited run of 120 sets as before, beginning within a fortnight;

Tile Base set (5 Bases) - $8.00AUD
P+P Worldwide - $2.65 up to 2 sets.
P+P Worldwide - $5.00 unlimited sets.

The bases are put in a tough satchel letter (their slimness helps a lot here) and shipped to you at the above prices.
Payment will be via Paypal.

If you are interested PM or Email me :D

Thanks for all your input folks!

best,
Sebastian

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 23rd, 2012, 12:49 pm

I wonder if a flattish flagstone base would sell.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby shy-design » July 7th, 2012, 6:46 pm

wow, cool thread. I just came upon it. I really like the bases there Seb.

but I must know, where is that halfling miniature from and how do i get my hands on one? :)

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby shy-design » July 7th, 2012, 7:09 pm

scratch that request... after a little research on the interwebs, I found out that that is indeed from Talisman 3rd edition... I even found this guy on ebay. the seller is asking too much... but hey its a great piece and it really fits in well with the retro sculpt that heroquest has.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby tasoe » July 7th, 2012, 7:38 pm

shy-design wrote:scratch that request... after a little research on the interwebs, I found out that that is indeed from Talisman 3rd edition... I even found this guy on ebay. the seller is asking too much... but hey its a great piece and it really fits in well with the retro sculpt that heroquest has.

Yeah, all the Talisman 3rd edition heroes and those from its 3 expansions are great for Heroquest. I've been trying to collect all of them for a while now. I have all of them but three. I only go after those low priced poorly painted ones though. Sooner or later they'll all turn up on ebay.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » July 7th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Spied the Templar, Barbarian and the Ranger in one auction; improperly timed my alarm and missed out - 4.55 UK pounds. (/cry of agony)

Things are going well with the bases, I've been in discussions with a couple of production houses exploring styrene options to lower the price even further. Shall keep everyone appraised, investment and turnaround will be a couple of months though. Overall, it has been fun just whacking minis onto bases; really need to showcase the latest efforts in the Gallery. :)

I"m of a mind to strip and redo the Halfling with a pot on his head; seen the conversion elsewhere and it retains the humour, but loses that goofy gaze of his.

- Seb

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Market