• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroscribe Maps

Discuss Icons for use on Cards and Quest Maps.

Heroscribe Maps

Postby StratosVX » October 13th, 2015, 10:16 am

I have been working on making some new maps for clmckay to use in Heroscribe and I have learned quite a bit about them. If anybody has any maps they would like to have done, let me know. I can't guarantee success or a timeline as to when they will be finished, but I will do what I can to help make them work. If anybody is interested, the files for the ones I made already are located here. I haven't updated the all-in-one pack that I have at this location yet, but I plan on it soon and I will hopefully keep it updated as I do more of these.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroscribe Maps

Postby Anderas » October 13th, 2015, 12:46 pm

I am quite interested, yes... how do you want to receive it? I have PPT, PNG, WMF and EMF... and then mail, dropbox or something else?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » October 13th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Shoot me a PM with the link or the file. I won't keep the file once I'm done as I like to support the artists who made them, but if it makes you feel better, you can send a low resolution file, a grayscale image, or whatever. As long as I can make out the grid and the walls, etc. I should be ok. Like I said, I can't guarantee success. The eps file for the maps has to be programmed to draw the image. So you have to tell it to create the walls with straight lines, rectangles, partial/full circles or partial/full ellipses. I won't be able to do very complex shapes such as a very wavy cave wall. If you send more than one, just let me know the order you'd like me to do them. No more than 3 or so at a time though. As I said, I can't guarantee a timeline for completion. Some of these can take a bit of time. The Halls of Hightamrish took quite a while to do.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » October 13th, 2015, 11:14 pm

StratosVX wrote:The eps file for the maps has to be programmed to draw the image. So you have to tell it to create the walls with straight lines, rectangles, partial/full circles or partial/full ellipses. I won't be able to do very complex shapes such as a very wavy cave wall.

Hmmm... you seem to be missing out on NURBs. You should be able to trace the strange shapes with a sequence of mouse clicks and define a path automatically. I did this in Inkscape and as I recall it was not the default path trace option. I did exactly this when I generated those parchment backgrounds (svg, pdf, eps) for the quest notes pages. If you are selecting different tools for each feature, you are doing WAY too much work. You should be able to zoom in to 400% and create these shapes. Then zoom out, re-select and "smooth"? or "reduce order"? or some such thing to reduce complexity of the shape without visibly sacrificing much... go too far with the complexity reduction, then undo one step, and you get nice looking and tiny eps file sizes.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » October 14th, 2015, 1:21 am

Except that Heroscribe doesn't use a drawn file for the map. I'm on my phone so I don't have the link handy but go to the Heroscibe site, then the FAQ page. There's a topic of creating boards which links to a tutorial on how to do it. Unless there's an easier way, that's what I've been doing. Essentially, it uses commands such as "3 Unit 2 Unit 4 Unit 5 Unit rectstroke" to make a rectangle 4 squares wide by 5 squares high that starts at the fourth column in and the third row up (the coordinates for the bottom left square being 0, 0). There are similar commands for drawing arcs and lines but none of it is actually drawn by hand as in Inkscape.

Also, I can do cave walls to an extent, it just won't follow the cave walls exactly.

EDIT: Here's the link to the tutorial.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » October 15th, 2015, 11:59 am

Folder is updated with a few maps from Heroic Maps. Also updated the all-in-one Heroscribe pack with all but the Master Builders maps.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » October 18th, 2015, 3:36 am

Just a quick update: clmckay has also started on making maps and his maps will also be located there at his request so they are all together. If anybody else has any they want to put in there, I'm fine with it. It tends to make it easier to access when they are all together. Also, I will send them to Derfel so he can add them in to his packs for the future.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » October 18th, 2015, 3:44 am

I have on more that I didn't send you yet, but likely I'll need two weeks.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » October 18th, 2015, 8:45 am

No worries. I've got a few to work on in the mean time, plus I'm going out to visit my family and see my new nephew for a couple of weeks, so I won't have a ton of time to do these while I'm out there.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » October 25th, 2015, 10:08 pm

I've created maps for everything in the "Boards" section of the gallery. They have been uploaded and included in the all-in-one pack I have uploaded as well.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups: