• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The HeroQuest Living Rulebook

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Do you think that creating a Living Rulebook via Ye Olde Inn is a project worth doing?

Poll ended at November 30th, 2022, 8:22 am

No
No votes
Yes - based on EU 1st Edition
No votes
Yes - based on EU 2nd Edition
13%
Yes - based on US (1st Edition)
38%
Yes - based on US (2nd Edition 2021)
38%
Yes - based on Japanese Edition
No votes
Yes - based on something else
13%

Total votes : 8

Re: The HeroQuest Living Rulebook

Postby Barigrin » December 19th, 2022, 11:35 pm

Hello everyone.

I used to visit the old site way back in 2000ish. I still have a large amount of tiles that I printed and cards I made using the wonderful card builder.

I just started playing the 2022 version and I would like to expand it. I could not find much on the webs, so I think that your project should be based on the new version of the game. New players are searching for ways to expand it, and you can get them hooked on using heroquest as a system rather than just a boxed game.

It’s good to be back :barbarian:
Barigrin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 15th, 2023, 9:45 am

As it appears, for better or for worse, that the new edition versus original US edition discussion isn't going to go away, I was just wondering what are the actual differences between the two in terms of the rulesets (I'm not talking about different monsters, figures, gameboard and so on, just differences in the rulebook and/or card text)?

If we can list and resolve the differences then maybe the selection will become irrelevant.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » May 22nd, 2023, 5:18 am

I've decided to suspend this project and instead focus on Polishing the Second Edition which is essentially a piece of work starting with the original Second Edition and identifying any and all issues within the game, and making modifications to plug holes, reduce inconsistency and lack of clarity whilst retaining HeroQuest's native simplicity. A polished Second Edition, potentially a Third Edition of the UK, European and Australasian editions might well constitute the nearest we'll ever get to a HeroQuest Living Rulebook and should provide an interesting alternative to the Official Avalon Hill HeroQuest 2021 which is based on the North American Edition.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Project Forge