• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Scratch Build Suspension Bridge

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Scratch Build Suspension Bridge

Postby phoenixcinder » May 17th, 2020, 2:53 am

Built a suspension bridge with some scrap wood pieces kicking around. This bridges footprint is 1x6 squares. Build to span over 4 squares to allow heroes and monsters to traverse over an unused room. Or to create a choke point or a toll the heroes must pay. Documenting this build in case it inspires anyone.

Cut out the stairs from a 2x2 block, then cut out a small slit on the bottom to glue onto the old paint stir stick for the under support that will hold the bridge together. Then shaved off chunks to compensate for my low lying walls and then drilled holes in the post for where the rope suspension for the bridge will feed through.

Pieces all glued together

Various stages of carving texture into the stairs and posts. Used an exacto knife, small carving chisels and a dremil

Taped the posts to protect them from getting hit with the primer as I wanted to preserve the texture of the wood grains. Primed the stairs with a double coat of grey, painted the cracks black and dirtied things with a wash. Then used wood stain to do the posts

Cut the rope to size and tied the ends to secure the rope in place. Then crazy glued the first wooden plank on each end directly to the stairs and posts to keep them flush with the top of the stairs.

The stages of weathering and beating up the planks for the bridge. Glued all of the wooden boards down to the rope. Then painted up and added skulls to all 4 posts, rocks to the stairs and moss on some of the planks.

Did a half board setup with the lights to test it out :)
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Scratch Build Suspension Bridge

Postby torilen » May 17th, 2020, 8:51 am

That is super duper sweet. Great job.
(I'm-a stealin this idea)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » May 17th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Steal away, that's why I documented the whole thing. Plus so I don't forget how I did it lol
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » May 17th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Very cool.

For a consistent look you can hit the end of the rope with super glue. This will turn it into a plastic like material which you can paint. Test it on a sample piece. And also be aware that super glue dissolves foam.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » May 19th, 2020, 3:36 am

whitebeard wrote:Very cool.

For a consistent look you can hit the end of the rope with super glue. This will turn it into a plastic like material which you can paint. Test it on a sample piece. And also be aware that super glue dissolves foam.

No worries there is zero foam in this build. Everything is wood except for the rope. Might give that glue trick a try later. Right now I am producing a few more for the other lengths from a 1 square span to a 5 square span. The 1 and 2 square spans won't be suspended with rope due to how short they will be

Played around with some lighting and did another shot of the bridge. A lovely vantage point for the wizard to pick off monsters.
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Project Forge