• Advertisement

Starting New Quest Project, Need Writer

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Starting New Quest Project, Need Writer

Postby DungeonWorks » Tuesday October 22nd, 2019 9:39pm

Hello everyone, I first want to say I haven't played HQ since the 90s, but have on and off popped into the site.
I'm the owner and creator of DungeonWorks. It's 3d printable game tiles and for over a year now, I started making printable minis. One of the first things I started doing was remaking the HeroQuest line. Right now the minis are only on my patreon but will be on my web store later.

Sorry, not trying to advertise, just explaining the basics. Anyways, I want to work on some quest. I plan to remake all the models from everything HeroQuest, but after than is done, start on new quest with new minis. One unique thing I do is make different poses or totally different models for each monster. So for example, there are 2 mummies in the game, So I made 2 different mummies. I like to do that because a bunch of the same minis gets boring.

I know of the main quest and a few fan made ones, but I'm sure there are lots out there people have made, but since I've been out of the game for so long. I'm going to ignore all fan made quest. Want to start fresh with my own ideas. If someone has already made what I want to do, that's ok. I will still move forward with what I'd like to do. These will have new artwork for spells, treasures, cover art too. I'm also working on a printable modular board.

After I finish all the official releases, this is what I'd like to start on:

4 additional heroes (based on the 4 new heroes from the second PC game)
Either 4 solo quest for each new hero OR 1 mini quest with all 4 heroes.
Wizard Quest Pack (still not sure on theme)
Dwarf Quest Pack (Skaven themed)
New Quest (Dark Elf themed)
New Quest (new undead not used before, maybe Wights, Ghouls)

So after typing all that lol, I'm looking for a writer that would like to help come up with the plots and write all the flavor text and adventures.

here are some renders of the minis I've made so far. I blurred the patreon info on the pages so not to advertise.

DungeonWorks

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Starting New Quest Project, Need Writer

Postby Pancho » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 2:08am

Very cool models. I love the sheer ambition of your mega project.
I don’t have the time right now, but I might be interested in writing some quests for this if you don’t need them urgently, as I’ve also been toying with the idea of building Wizard and Dwarf quest packs.

If you do this, in my view the Wizard pack should have the monsters unearthed by Toco’s incredible research http://www.tocoking.be/ahq/unreleased.html
Also see the last four pages of this thread for discussion on which unreleased packs had which monsters viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3955&hilit=toco&start=40

I’m working on a solo quest pack right now, which is based on the semi-official Heroquest novels by Dave Morris. See here if interested viewtopic.php?f=149&t=5045

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 2:37pm

My only suggestion, is to not change the style of the figures. If you want to preserve the original feelings preserve the style of the original minis.
I see tons of 3D printable figures everywhwere but they are just with modern style.
This is of course my opinion.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 6:19pm

I can understand wanting to make your own Quest Packs but not the ignoring all the others ever created. There are lots of good works out there. I tweak existing ones to fit what I like and also make my own.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby DungeonWorks » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 10:25pm

j_dean80 wrote:I can understand wanting to make your own Quest Packs but not the ignoring all the others ever created. There are lots of good works out there. I tweak existing ones to fit what I like and also make my own.

??? I'd have to ignore them. If I want to make a Wizard Quest pack of my own, I can't use someone else work if one was already made. So I'd have to ignore it if there was one or just not make it since it's already been made. In the fan section I don't even see Wizard nor Dwarf quest packs. So either no one made any or not big enough to be there.
DungeonWorks

Hero:

Postby DungeonWorks » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 10:26pm

lestodante wrote:My only suggestion, is to not change the style of the figures. If you want to preserve the original feelings preserve the style of the original minis.
I see tons of 3D printable figures everywhwere but they are just with modern style.
This is of course my opinion.

Are the one's I made already not looking like the originals? Or do you mean just in general you hope I keep the same style?
DungeonWorks

Hero:

Postby DungeonWorks » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 10:32pm

Pancho wrote:Very cool models. I love the sheer ambition of your mega project.
I don’t have the time right now, but I might be interested in writing some quests for this if you don’t need them urgently, as I’ve also been toying with the idea of building Wizard and Dwarf quest packs.

If you do this, in my view the Wizard pack should have the monsters unearthed by Toco’s incredible research http://www.tocoking.be/ahq/unreleased.html
Also see the last four pages of this thread for discussion on which unreleased packs had which monsters viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3955&hilit=toco&start=40

I’m working on a solo quest pack right now, which is based on the semi-official Heroquest novels by Dave Morris. See here if interested viewtopic.php?f=149&t=5045

Thank you, It's a large project, but I've going pretty fast. Next month I think I'll be remaking the Orcs.

This isn't something that is needed right away since I'm still working on the present minis.

I'm not against using the monsters for the Wizards pack. Still not even sure what the overall theme would be in story. That's ones pretty open for ideas, so using those monsters isn't a problem at all.

Making quest on the novels is a good idea. I never read them, but surprised there wasn't quest made on them back in the day.
DungeonWorks

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 11:01pm

DungeonWorks wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:I can understand wanting to make your own Quest Packs but not the ignoring all the others ever created. There are lots of good works out there. I tweak existing ones to fit what I like and also make my own.

??? I'd have to ignore them. If I want to make a Wizard Quest pack of my own, I can't use someone else work if one was already made. So I'd have to ignore it if there was one or just not make it since it's already been made. In the fan section I don't even see Wizard nor Dwarf quest packs. So either no one made any or not big enough to be there.

The main page only lists official releases. There is a Quest page with fan-made stuff plus a section of the forum just full of fan-made.

I get wanting to create your own Quests, there’s no problem with that. There’s no problem having your Wizard Pack plus playing someone else’s also as they would be very different. I was just saying to not completely ignore all the others as several are made very well.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 11:13pm

Is this for a project you plan as a business venture? If so then that makes sense to me not using previous fan made quests for creative right purposes. If its just for your fun homebrew then i would borrow from some previous fan stuff. I used some previous stuff an have tweaked it and the base game to a grander larger story of my own.
DullandRusty

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DungeonWorks » Wednesday October 23rd, 2019 11:24pm

DullandRusty wrote:Is this for a project you plan as a business venture? If so then that makes sense to me not using previous fan made quests for creative right purposes. If its just for your fun homebrew then i would borrow from some previous fan stuff. I used some previous stuff an have tweaked it and the base game to a grander larger story of my own.

I sell the minis I make, so more on the business, but I'm a big fan of games so all minis I make is also as a fan thing. So both lol? I have an artist that will be doing the art while i plan things and make all the minis. I've never been someone to use someone elses work. I'd never want to take others work to use for my own in a story. I overall don't plan using the same stories as others,

I think a few are confused by my original post. I mean if I want to make a wizard quest pack and there is already one, I'm going to just ignore there is already one and do my own thing. I'm not going to jut not make my planned set because someone else did. But I also don't want to build on others work. Mainly if i see others works, that might affect what I do. Don't want people sayings i stole/copied someones else's work. So I have to ignore fan made sets. I've never read any and don't want to take others work.
DungeonWorks

Hero:

Return to Project Forge