• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D printed figures

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

3D printed figures

Postby Bob77 » Sunday August 18th, 2019 3:23pm

I am trying to replace my broken figures and upgrade my furniture with 3D printed pieces. I have found a few stl. files on the web, and plan to start printing this week. I dont have a printer, so i will be using the one at my local library. Its pretty inexpensive, but the turn around will take time due to the fact that there is only one printer. I plan on posting the file and a pic as they are completed. Please feel free to share your files with pics as well.
Bob77

Goblin
Goblin

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Re: 3D printed figures

Postby hightechartist » Monday August 19th, 2019 12:49am

I've considered doing this myself and have done a lot of research. The problem is that technology is rapidly advancing with 3D printing and the older 3D printers are kind of crap at printing small things like wargame figures without losing a lot of detail.

By all means try it out and show us how it turns out, but I'm guessing the 3D printers at your library are filament-based technology such as FDM or FFF. My understanding is that if you want proper detail on your miniatures, you'll want to print with a resin-based 3D printer such as SLA.

Of course, this is only based on my reading. Anyone with practical experience please feel free to chime in.
hightechartist

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Postby lestodante » Monday August 19th, 2019 2:59pm

I've seen a lot of 3D prints of Heroquest figures and I have to say they all look so-so.
The problem is that you can't find a file scanned at a proper resolution to allows a good printing. Also the cost of the material is not cheap.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby hightechartist » Monday August 19th, 2019 3:18pm

lestodante wrote:I've seen a lot of 3D prints of Heroquest figures and I have to say they all look so-so.
The problem is that you can't find a file scanned at a proper resolution to allows a good printing. Also the cost of the material is not cheap.

Someone who is good at 3D modeling needs to recreate the heroquest models from scratch. The best I've seen are the Springer models and... they're not great.
hightechartist

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Bob77 » Monday August 19th, 2019 4:59pm

Hmmm. Good stuff to chew on. I will start with 1 goblin and compare it with an original. The cost seems very good at 15 cents a gram. I figure most figures wont weigh much, no pun intended.
Bob77

Goblin
Goblin

Postby cornixt » Tuesday August 20th, 2019 11:33am

I've been looking into this recently. You can get reasonable prints from a well-tuned $200 FDM printer (Ender 3), and HQ models are low on the detail scale when it comes to miniatures so they would be fine if you had a good source to work from. If you are happy with Reaper Bones then you won't be too disappointed. Filament seems to come out at about 10c per model, so not expensive either. The drawback is that printing to these levels is slow (hours per model) and all the time taken to get your printer running well.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bob77 » Thursday August 22nd, 2019 3:28pm

So I finally made it to my local library yesterday and printed a goblin for 60 cents. I was to take 2 hours before I was notified of its completion. An hour and a half for the model before mone, but just 30 minutes for mine. I got a call an additional 3 hours after that, but didnt feel like going, so I will be picking it up in about an hour.

The model is by Carlbark out of sweden and he has a few other free stl filed here.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3153612
I will post pic and thoughts when I have it in my hands.
Bob77

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Bob77 » Friday August 23rd, 2019 8:21pm

20190823_164937.jpg
So here is a pic of the 3d goblin. An original is in their also for comparison. I still need to clean it up a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob77

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Uncle_Elvis » Friday August 23rd, 2019 10:13pm

I understand cleaning it up some, but I still feel that is rough
Uncle_Elvis

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » Saturday August 24th, 2019 8:56am

Check out these other posts on this site for an Ender 3 with no calibration. Models were printed at 0.05 mm layer height (Hatchbox White PLA) and 100% infill Cura profile per Danny H. from 3D Printed Tabletop (YouTube).

:barbarian: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4254&start=22

A knight figure http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4254&start=9

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Project Forge