• Advertisement

Board redo. How modular should it be?

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Board redo. How modular should it be?

Postby phoenixcinder » Wednesday May 15th, 2019 5:28pm

Playing around with possibilities for redoing the game board to 30mm squares using foam board.

Juggling between a couple options

1) every room is its own piece of foam.
Plus side. I can embed washers on the underside to add weight. More modular if I want to just add 1 room at a time
Down side. Setup takes longer, pieces more prone to shifting

2) each quadrant is its own piece of foam (not including the hallways)
Plus side. Easier setup, less prone to shifting
Downside, cannot embed washers for weight unless I make a homemade foam cutter that can handle the height of the quadrant

Curious on the direction people would go with this
phoenixcinder

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Board redo. How modular should it be?

Postby Maurice76 » Thursday May 16th, 2019 5:00am

Do you want to faithfully recreate the original game board? Or do you want to use a custom layout, for custom quests? The latter approach is more in the line of Advanced HeroQuest and definitely has the benefit that players won't know up front how the dungeon might end up looking.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » Thursday May 16th, 2019 10:12am

I did separate rooms. Means that you can use them more easily for other games like D&D. Here is how I split the corridors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Okko » Thursday May 16th, 2019 10:20am

From the early days I started using the advanced tiles as Maurice 76 said it adds a sense of the unknown for me .never used the advanced rules at the time but tiles work for me much better.
Okko

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Thursday May 16th, 2019 11:08am

First...

If you download a quest with a selfmade (multi-room) overlay, on which of those boards would it be easier to use the overlay?
I love to use overlays to change the room layout a little bit.

Second...
How important is setup-time and stow-away time for you?
I know for sure if I play with my 6 year old daughter, the setup is a crucial decision gate between "I want" and "No daddy I'd like something else".
If I play with my warhammer 40k club, setup is no problem at all as they are used to hours and hours of set up time

Third...
Pass through rock and dungeon exploring

The original heroquest board gives you some orientation, even if you never played the quest before. You can use "pass through rock" and walk into the dark, being sure you don't accidentally leave the board.
Also in normal gameplay, you can actively search for a way into the middle room. Search the forum for reports where the wizard passes through rock directly into ragnar's cell, for example.

The game play with a modular board is different. As a player, without the quest map, you never know which direction is the right one. That adds some sense of mazeness that is sometimes missing in the original.
The other extreme is a map of Heroicmaps, that gives away a little bit too much (except if you print it and set it up peace by peace).

Some people get so excited by modular boards that they never want to play non-modular again, other people hate it.

Find your own answers to these questions... :-)
For me, the first question and my personal answer was the most important for me.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Thursday May 16th, 2019 4:26pm

Anderas wrote:Also in normal gameplay, you can actively search for a way into the middle room. Search the forum for reports where the wizard passes through rock directly into ragnar's cell, for example.

If I could, I would wipe out my friends memories of the specific quest we're playing, just to make it all fresh and new again. No meta-gaming the game with knowledge the Heroes shouldn't actually have.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » Thursday May 16th, 2019 7:17pm

Maurice76 wrote:Do you want to faithfully recreate the original game board? Or do you want to use a custom layout, for custom quests? The latter approach is more in the line of Advanced HeroQuest and definitely has the benefit that players won't know up front how the dungeon might end up looking.

Recreate the original board. As it stands I got no one to play the game with and good chance it will be the same way once I am finished redoing everything. I can always cut more foam to make anything custom down the road
phoenixcinder

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » Thursday May 16th, 2019 7:20pm

Okko wrote:From the early days I started using the advanced tiles as Maurice 76 said it adds a sense of the unknown for me .never used the advanced rules at the time but tiles work for me much better.

Oh so with the full board you are supposed to layout all the doors, minis and props from the get go?
I was under the impression you only laid out the props once something came in a players visual area
phoenixcinder

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » Thursday May 16th, 2019 7:27pm

Anderas wrote:First...

If you download a quest with a selfmade (multi-room) overlay, on which of those boards would it be easier to use the overlay?
I love to use overlays to change the room layout a little bit.

not sure what a self made overlay is. Have a link or an example?
phoenixcinder

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Friday May 17th, 2019 12:16am

If you want to recreate the original, make fewer tiles to reduce the setup time.

About the overlays,
Yes, take a look at Big Bene's Ye Olde Inn tile and prison tile for example

Also, in Against the Ogre Horde, Mage of the Mirror and in The Frozen Horror are some tiles to overlay the original board

In our own attempt at HQ25, we had this stuff:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HuYpE ... psLsLL0nd0

Note that lava bridge tile is to overlay the inner room and the surrounding corridors.
The 5x6 and 5x8 tiles are there to overlay the double hallway plus the two adjacent rooms.

Following the same principle, Agin had lots of rooms in all sizes on the Ye Olde Inn tile page

Just some examples, if you surf the net you will find lots more

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Project Forge