• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How big would you make your tiles??

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: How big would you make your tiles??

Postby Thor-in » February 28th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Looks like if you want to put the walls up, your going to have put the 8mm space between tiles to allow for the full 30mm or 35mm tiles. With the picture you just posted, your walls are taking almost a 1/4 of your tile space away from the space for the monsters.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cornixt » February 28th, 2019, 3:36 pm

My squares are 30mm, but I don't use walls, just different colours on the floor tiles.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 28th, 2019, 6:30 pm

To be perfectly honest, I think playing with walls is a very bad idea.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » February 28th, 2019, 6:42 pm

knightkrawler wrote:To be perfectly honest, I think playing with walls is a very bad idea.

Why do you find it a bad idea?
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » February 28th, 2019, 7:01 pm

25mm x 25mm, no walls
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 28th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Just look at the picture you took yourself and extrapolate from there.
Do you wanna see your miniatures and their environment when playing or do you wanna have to concentrate on each handling of a miniature?
I mean, your decision, your prerogative, and all, but think about it before you put all kinds of work into it.
Standing walls onto the tiles without a firm connection just adds to the fuss, in my opinion.

I have never seen or heard or read of anyone ever (it sounds like an exaggeration, but it's really not) having had fun with full-height walls in a dungeon.
My constructive idea would be to have the walls be just a hint of a wall, like half an inch high. I have seen beautiful dungeons using that concept.
Other than that, cornixt's last post here has a lot of merit to it.

I have yet to read battle reports from sparkymark and figomurphy who both built the full HQ boards with walls...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » February 28th, 2019, 7:14 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Just look at the picture you took yourself and extrapolate from there.
Do you wanna see your miniatures and their environment when playing or do you wanna have to concentrate on each handling of a miniature?
I mean, your decision, your prerogative, and all, but think about it before you put all kinds of work into it.
Standing walls onto the tiles without a firm connection just adds to the fuss, in my opinion.

I have never seen or heard or read of anyone ever (it sounds like an exaggeration, but it's really not) having had fun with full-height walls in a dungeon.
My constructive idea would be to have the walls be just a hint of a wall, like half an inch high. I have seen beautiful dungeons using that concept.
Other than that, cornixt's last post here has a lot of merit to it.

I have yet to read battle reports from sparkymark and figomurphy who both built the full HQ boards with walls...

I haven't really gotten that far at all with the work I've put into this. Still prototyping stuff. I like the idea of a shorter wall I am gonna bake some shorter walls and see how that changes things
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby arch8ngel » March 12th, 2019, 3:31 pm

I just picked up the Dungeon Plunger Cutter from Green Stuff World, so I'm in the process of mocking up some 32mm dungeon tiles (the cutter has a fieldstone that will work for some of the rooms, but also has a "blank" cutter that seems good for carving the various cracked and decorative tiles on the original board).

My concept is to space the 32mm tiles approx 2mm apart (i.e. I think a well placed "grout line" will look cleaner than tiles butted edge-to-edge), so between 34-35mm depending on how it works in practice.

Not having made a full room, yet, just looking at a single tile the 32mm tiles look pretty nice.
Roomy enough that miniatures that exceed their base/footprint aren't a problem, but not so room as to make the miniatures look out-of-scale to the board.
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby phoenixcinder » March 12th, 2019, 6:13 pm

In the end I was able to shave 3mm off my walls making them 5mm wide. I found 4mm was too much of a cut. In the end if they don't work I just won't use them in game play. I also reinforced my low walls with wire for stability.
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Project Forge