• Advertisement

How big would you make your tiles??

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

How big would you make your tiles??

Postby phoenixcinder » Thursday February 28th, 2019 12:02am

I am currently in the process of redoing the entire board. Still in the testing phase, trying to nail down the right size for the squares
The floor on the left in this pic are 30mm on a 3x3 square grid.
The floor on the right in this pic are 35mm on a 3x4 grid

I am also going to be building walls which will be 8mm thick
This is a test wall

Wondering if you were to redo the board. Or if you have already. How wide would you make the squares? 30, 35, higher, lower? and why?

Thx
phoenixcinder

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: How big would you make your tiles??

Postby Maurice76 » Thursday February 28th, 2019 5:21am

The smallest rooms should probably be the benchmark for the size of the tiles. The thickness of the walls has biggest impact there, after all. You still want to be able to place everything in such a room, without cramping stuff up against the walls, possibly pushing the walls aside.

How do you plan to fix the walls to the tiles? Or will they just be freely standing on the board? What dimensions are you planning on creating?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday February 28th, 2019 5:22am

I'm going 40 mm because I use round bases. That way a 40 mm round base still fits in one square and rules for different base sizes become easy.
For example, up to four goblins can be in one square with all the rule consequences that has.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Thursday February 28th, 2019 8:02am

I would go with 30mm so the furniture fits properly. The bookcase is supposed to cover 3 squares, unless you are trying to micro-size the furniture for more space to fight. Lot of people don't like the cramped rooms where all 4 Heroes can't join the fight. I actually like it as it provides more tactical fighting for Heroes to figure out, or they split up making it even better for the EWP.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Thursday February 28th, 2019 9:52am

I do 35mm. The board fits on a regular table and there is enough room for a mini on either side of a door.

In the rare event of a 40mm base (my river trolls are on 40mm SQUARE bases) they only overhang by 2.5mm.

You are making your own board and walls... make or buy extra scatter terrain as well. So that a table which needs to take up 6 squares is a banquet table with a bunch of chairs and benches. Same goes for book cases and everything else. You will really enjoy the extra space.

I reprinted the map on my 3D printer, so I have the flat walls. Your doors will need to drop over top of your walls. You probably want 40mm tiles.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Thursday February 28th, 2019 9:54am

I was going with 30mm because the entire board fits nicely on my table then. Also many things in this forum are already scaled to 30mm.

For your thick walls, on the other hand the 35mm squares are great. Then the walls can take some space without cramping the board.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday February 28th, 2019 11:26am

35 is too big for my taste.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » Thursday February 28th, 2019 11:43am

I kind of like both.

30mm is more "realistic" looking in comparison to the furniture.
35mm is a little bigger and more "unrealistic" looking in comparison to the furniture, but would make placing figures easier in the rooms.

But I would have to agree with a few of the inn members and go with the 30mm tiles.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Thursday February 28th, 2019 1:13pm

30mm x 30mm are the best choice in my opinion.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » Thursday February 28th, 2019 3:03pm

Biggest issue I am having are those single wide lanes around the main room in the middle . Even at 35mm squares the bigger miniatures will not fit after the walls are in

phoenixcinder

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Project Forge