• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Geas: Broken Gods

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: Geas: Broken Gods

Postby sorcerersapprentice » January 28th, 2018, 3:21 pm

I've sketched and painted some armour and a few monsters as well - drawing humans is perhaps my Most difficult obstacle. I've drawn some that are great, but they are generally quite crude. So like anyone else I have to practice. To illustrate an RPG game with characters (and I have 21) is going to require me to spend considerable time studying the work of others, life drawing and understanding muscles so that I can depict dynamic movements. I'm currently attempting to draw a picture where arrows shot from the other side of a ravine by temple guards at a hero are right up close in the foreground - its a difficult perspective to capture - but little by little and by challenging myself to tackle my weaknesses I am getting better. To do the art for this game myself is going to be a dice roll. I do decent digital art - that is fairly easy, but drawing is a bit of a weird beast to me now, having spent so long on GIMP constantly working on huge projects. Ill see how I go, and if its not up to scratch ill look for an artist - but right now, im determined to try and do it myself, just to go through the experience.
Something Wicked This Way Comes...

http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply
sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby clmckay » January 28th, 2018, 6:08 pm

I'm going to say this all wrong, but KK can probably correct me.

Yes, I like the drawing/art.

I think it is perfectly acceptable to fit with okdhsmmer, but when I think back - if you're trying to be exact, I think it's more in the vein of the add on map pack things that GW put out....not sure what they were for exactly. ValarNightrunner has revamped a few of those tiles here at the inn.

When I think of warhammer I think of dark, brooding paints...there was one with Bretonnian knights that stands out particularly to me.

However, it looks nice and I think will fit nicely.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » January 28th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback - i was surprised that it came out of my hand frankly, i always envisioned GEAS as super-dark, and I guess it could still go that way - but this 'cartoony' kind of style, though unexpected, is kind of growing on me. I guess its good to have your own style.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » January 28th, 2018, 7:33 pm

I could play with the 'disney' valve to go darker - add more brooding shadows and bulbous/sharp shapes, fry the background and play with the colour pallete and see what happens.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » April 16th, 2018, 7:38 pm

After finally getting to grips with Fantasy Grounds (FG) VTT Software I have figured out how to run GEAS using just two of the seven 5e character sheet pages. Lots of work left to do on the fine points of items - but the delivery/record keeping of them is figured out in FG too. So, Geas will be able to run on VTT. Once I have built the drafts of the rest of the pieces, tokens, finalized the board and get more experience as a DM running live games I will start hosting games to test the Geas prototype. This should be in June-July. Big thanks to Aaron Marx of Fantasy Grounds College for his videos on youtube and the college itself which has made learning FG much less daunting and will enable us to finally play this monster.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 30th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Keep us updated. A YouTube link could give a sense of what Project Geas is about.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » August 12th, 2018, 11:25 pm

Unfortunately I havent been able to work on one of the sides of GEAS which involves working out last elements of the prototype cards, rough corebook etc - however I've been very closely learning, teaching and DM'ing using Fantasy Grounds these past months and will be starting to run live VTT games for GEAS [and Heroquest too] probably in early 2019.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » September 30th, 2018, 8:33 pm

Hey Guys - its been a while, as I've been extremely busy - but I'm very close now to finally releasing some modules that introduce and explore the world of Geas. 2 modules have been mostly completed and coded into Fantasy Grounds and I am working on a third to show Smiteworks prior to launching a kickstarter to seek funding to finish 5 of them that can be chained into a massive campaign. I've been designing all new maps, modifying and creating new tokens, and writing quests, making random automated roll tables, describing the locations and peoples of geas and much more. I hope to have the Kickstarter together by the end of October. For those who don't know - Fantasy Grounds is a VTT program that allows you to automate RPG, with effects, spells, items, combat, movement, quests, encounters, tables, maps, and much more able to be controlled with the touch of a few buttons. Its a truly magnificent program and I have been learning as much as I can about it in order to make playing or DMing my new modules intuitive exciting and easy. Battle in a gigantic arena, explore the streets buildings and sewers of my new city maps, set sail on a long voyage or plumb the depths of the deep in the water and the mountains with new races, exotic weapons, armour and equipment and an adventures on the edge of the lovecraftian veil - It's been a long time coming but it's not too far away from becoming a thing now. Hopefully taking this step will allow me to raise capital to focus on making it a boardgame in the spirit of Heroquest. Image Image

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Project Forge