Heroquest Expanded gameplay

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Heroquest Expanded gameplay

Postby ladybird48 » Thursday August 24th, 2017 8:49pm

Hello, so ive recently begun working on a project to create a more immersive, strategic, and rewarding experience in heroquest while maintaining the original feel of the old game. Basically entails new rules,mechanic,monsters, features, items, and so on. I plan on starting by looking at some other similar projects and versions and using things I like and making some new things game play wise. This is a huge project since ive got to come up with all of this and play test it plus I would like to add somethings that require art such as new cards for treasures,equipment, monsters, and spells. So I bring this here to you looking for any one interested in participating or willing to contribute there talents to the project. mainly need artists who are able to replicate the style of art the old game system utilized since a lot of the base game stuff and some expansion items and spells will use the same art just revamped text. I wouldn't mind help doing story stuff as well currently My goal is to come up with the mechanics and game play features and then convert all the base game and expansion quests to utilize the new features also modify them by adding more monsters and things like that. One of the big things that I really want to use is this idea I found while researching other projects like this over on hero scribe which is a point value system that im thinking of taking a step further. Basically Each character has a point value that is based of what weapons,Armour,tools,artifacts, and character lvl which is all combined before a quest to give a point value. the point value does a couple things first off im hoping it will balance the game play by having each quest require a minimum point value and a maximum point value which would be based of either a single players value or the entire party's value combined ( haven't decided yet on that) Basically makes each player around equal in ability along with preventing weaker characters from participating in a quest that will surely kill them. I would like the players to go through each quest in order to progress through the story and have the ability to fight ridicules bosses and tough monsters while also giving a level of customization that you have to think about. I would like the game play to be challenging and make you think strategically before doing things. so the point value system could basically work as a difficulty rating for quests with a solo player rating and a party rating ( I would like this to be playable solo since sometimes you just cant find others to play with but you really want to play).
Another feature I would like to utilize along side the point value system is an actual lvl system which works with the point value system by boosting a players point value based on there characters lvl and not just there equipment or spells. I think it would be a cool way to be rewarded for playing the game and taking on the role of your character by implementing a simple skill tree. So basically each lvl your character achieves would give you different things like say your character makes lvl 2 so they are given 1 Skill point,1 stat point and 5 value points. So they can spend the skill point on a skill tree that is specific to there character and the stat point can be put into any of the characters stats such as attack giving them an extra dice to attack with ( each stat will have a max amount you can put into it to prevent super op barbarians or wizards who can clear a boss solo in one round) and of course the 5 value points are added to your current value since you should be that much better of a character. Spending points in the skill tree will unlock new abilities for characters to utilize in combat or make them able to use different weapons or items they otherwise couldn't use.Some other features would include lots of interactive items such as Instead of just searching for treasure you can search specific scenery items like a cupboard or a sac or some other feature of a room. Also an expanded armory is a must. there should be lots of weapons to choose from with varying point values for each one based on how good they are and of course more items for the wizard like cloaks, artifacts, spell books and scrolls and that sort of thing along with some unique items and maybe the occasional rare enchanted weapon or artifact or armor which will show up randomly later on the more you progress. also a variety of potions and other goods like torches ( too be used for the lighting system) The armory will change often with new items and will be up to the DM to decide what items and how many of each are available. The armory will be accessed by visiting a near by town which will have other places to visit for services such as a black smith to have weapons repaired,a apothecary to have buy potions from or ingredients to make potions using a alchemist kit, maybe a healer to heal a character of some disabling disease from a monsters bite.
For combat id like to make it more interactive and use other types of dice. I think it would be cool to have reaction ability maybe on a critical miss where the character or monster completely wifs their opponent gets a extra jab in on them or they are able to use a spell or retreat. I would like to make magic much more in depth by grouping the spells into schools of magic and instead of having a specific number of uses for all spells have a magica pool like in The Elder Scrolls franchise where you can keep casting spells but only if you have enof magical energy stored up to use the spell. Higher lvl and more powerful spells will take up a lot of energy while simple low lvl spells wont take as much and can be maintained for more rounds. I also really like the some of the features from the hero quest variant rules by Carl Forhan here on the forums such as monsters having abilities they can use just like the players.
Finally I think there should be more loot. What rpg game is complete without tons of loot.Im talking like borderlands final boss fight loot! well not that much but there does need to be more treasure and items to find during quests that can be used or sold for more gold which will hopefully used more with the extra places and items to spend it on.So tell me what you think or something you would like to see maybe an idea you've got that you think would be good for this kind of game. Like I said im also looking for people who can do some art for new cards and some other things like the enhanced armory and Im also looking for people to help play test,come up with story or game play features anything you can contribute to this really would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this to the end
ladybird48

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Re: Heroquest Expanded gameplay

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday November 28th, 2017 4:08pm

Like you said, this is a big project, and as such you will be the main contributor most of the time. (Would any of us have it any other way?) Creating a full-on overhaul of the game is a solo quest, though the more you post developed details of the project, the more likely you are to garner feedback. Attract us with some interesting developments. You may only get other members' plugs for what they've done, but inspiration sometimes follows to drive your work forward. Criticism may fall, but it can be turned to new perspective. And if you're fortunate, the praise and usable suggestions anyone would hope for might even be added in.

I'm just cheer-leading here. What I really want is to see your work in smaller, specific chunks. Sometimes real gems shine through.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Wednesday November 29th, 2017 7:28pm

Here's a little bit of advice. Space your posts out more. In amongst all that text there's probably a lot i'd enjoy and would discuss with you but it's hard to follow and digest.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby pemcode » Monday May 21st, 2018 3:10am

I agree with @mitchiemasha's feedback. The original post seems interesting but it's difficult to read (unnecessarily verbose and lacking in organization).
please contact me if you have significant skill + time to help with HeroQuest for UE4: http://mepem.com/pemcode/?cat=14
pemcode

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » Monday July 16th, 2018 8:12am

ladybird48 wrote:Hello, so I've recently begun working on a project to create a more immersive, strategic, and rewarding experience in Heroquest while maintaining the original feel of the old game. Basically entails new rules, mechanic ,monsters, features, items and so on.

I plan on starting by looking at some other similar projects and versions and using things I like and making some new things game play wise. This is a huge project since I've got to come up with all of this and play test it, plus I would like to add some things that require art such as new cards for treasures, equipment, monsters and spells. So I bring this here to you looking for any one interested in participating or willing to contribute there talents to the project.
I mainly need artists who are able to replicate the style of art the old game system utilized since a lot of the base game stuff and some expansion items and spells will use the same art just revamped text. I wouldn't mind help doing story stuff as well currently my goal is to come up with the mechanics and game play features and then convert all the base game and expansion quests to utilize the new features and also modify them by adding more monsters and things like that.

One of the big things that I really want to use is this idea I found while researching other projects like this over on hero scribe which is a point value system that I'm thinking of taking a step further. Basically Each character has a point value that is based of what weapons, armour, tools, artifacts and character lvl which is all combined before a quest to give a point value. The point value does a couple things, first off I'm hoping it will balance the game play by having each quest require a minimum point value and a maximum point value which would be based of either a single players value or the entire party's value combined ( haven't decided yet on that). Basically makes each player around equal in ability along with preventing weaker characters from participating in a quest that will surely kill them.
I would like the players to go through each quest in order to progress through the story and have the ability to fight ridicules bosses and tough monsters while also giving a level of customization that you have to think about. I would like the game play to be challenging and make you think strategically before doing things. So the point value system could basically work as a difficulty rating for quests with a solo player rating and a party rating (I would like this to be playable solo since sometimes you just cant find others to play with but you really want to play).

Another feature I would like to utilize along side the point value system is an actual lvl system which works with the point value system by boosting a players point value based on there characters lvl and not just there equipment or spells. I think it would be a cool way to be rewarded for playing the game and taking on the role of your character by implementing a simple skill tree. So basically each lvl your character achieves would give you different things like say your character makes lvl 2 so they are given 1 Skill point,1 stat point and 5 value points. So they can spend the skill point on a skill tree that is specific to there character and the stat point can be put into any of the characters stats such as attack giving them an extra dice to attack with (each stat will have a max amount you can put into it to prevent super op barbarians or wizards who can clear a boss solo in one round) and of course the 5 value points are added to your current value since you should be that much better of a character. Spending points in the skill tree will unlock new abilities for characters to utilize in combat or make them able to use different weapons or items they otherwise couldn't use.

Some other features would include lots of interactive items such as Instead of just searching for treasure you can search specific scenery items like a cupboard or a sac or some other feature of a room. Also an expanded armory is a must there should be lots of weapons to choose from with varying point values for each one based on how good they are and of course more items for the wizard like cloaks, artifacts, spell books and scrolls and that sort of thing along with some unique items and maybe the occasional rare enchanted weapon, artifact or armor which will show up randomly later on the more you progress. Also a variety of potions and other goods like torches (to be used for the lighting system). The armory will change often with new items and will be up to the DM to decide what items and how many of each are available. The armory will be accessed by visiting a near by town which will have other places to visit for services such as a black smith to have weapons repaired,a apothecary to have buy potions from or ingredients to make potions using a alchemist kit, maybe a healer to heal a character of some disabling disease from a monsters bite.

For combat I'd like to make it more interactive and use other types of dice. I think it would be cool to have reaction ability maybe on a critical miss where the character or monster completely wifs their opponent gets a extra jab in on them or they are able to use a spell or retreat. I would like to make magic much more in depth by grouping the spells into schools of magic and instead of having a specific number of uses for all spells have a magica pool like in The Elder Scrolls franchise where you can keep casting spells but only if you have enough magical energy stored up to use the spell. Higher lvl and more powerful spells will take up a lot of energy while simple low lvl spells wont take as much and can be maintained for more rounds. I also really like the some of the features from the Heroquest variant rules by Carl Forhan here on the forums such as monsters having abilities they can use just like the players.

Finally I think there should be more loot. What rpg game is complete without tons of loot? I'm talking like borderlands final boss fight loot! Well not that much but there does need to be more treasure and items to find during quests that can be used or sold for more gold which will hopefully used more with the extra places and items to spend it on. So tell me what you think or something you would like to see maybe an idea you've got that you think would be good for this kind of game. Like I said I'm also looking for people who can do some art for new cards and some other things like the enhanced armory and I'm also looking for people to help play test, come up with story or game play features anything you can contribute to this really would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this to the end

Fixed for the most part.

|_P |_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member