• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dice tower build

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Dice tower build

Postby Figomurphy » January 17th, 2017, 6:31 pm

just finished the build and undercoat on my dice tower. Now I need to think up something cool as the surround, to stop the dice flying everywhere. I need to add scenery etc. Don't want it too big. Any suggestions? I've quite a few Hirst arts moods.
I might add a few heroquest figures.

Also, does anyone else use dice towers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dice tower build

Postby j_dean80 » January 17th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Since it looks like a dark tower...I would surround it with a dark evil looking gate.

Here is a good example:

https://spfaust.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/kellogg-desert-house-1-017.jpg
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » January 17th, 2017, 8:12 pm

First, this looks great. Is there room for felt on the inside to help absorb the impact from dice?

And second, that tower is kind of screaming for a small grave yard as the dice tray.

Very cool project.

As to using dice towers; do you mean in general or for HQ specifically?

Either way, I don't. I do, however, love dice trays and and try to have a couple at the table regardless of what's being played. That said, I have never owned "The dice tower I wish I had", which is to say that I've never had one that was cool enough to make me want to break it out for gaming. Dice trays are just so convenient.

Regardless, I dig the tower and look forward to seeing where you go with it from here.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Figomurphy » February 2nd, 2017, 1:49 pm

j_dean80 wrote:Since it looks like a dark tower...I would surround it with a dark evil looking gate.

Here is a good example:

https://spfaust.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/kellogg-desert-house-1-017.jpg

Wow, strange looking gates. I'd like to see inside that house!

QorDaq wrote:First, this looks great. Is there room for felt on the inside to help absorb the impact from dice?

And second, that tower is kind of screaming for a small grave yard as the dice tray.

Very cool project.

As to using dice towers; do you mean in general or for HQ specifically?

Either way, I don't. I do, however, love dice trays and and try to have a couple at the table regardless of what's being played. That said, I have never owned "The dice tower I wish I had", which is to say that I've never had one that was cool enough to make me want to break it out for gaming. Dice trays are just so convenient.

Regardless, I dig the tower and look forward to seeing where you go with it from here.

maj!

I'm putting felt inside and running out onto a tray. I like the grave yard idea. I was on Zealot trying to order grave stones but they're out if stock. I e-mailed them but they never got back.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Rewards:
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 2nd, 2017, 4:39 pm

Figomurphy wrote:Wow, strange looking gates. I'd like to see inside that house!

I worked inside that house over a month. If you google "Kellogg house Joshua Tree, CA" you can see photos inside. Some of the coolest rooms are not pictured unfortunately. Kellogg is an architect that designed that house for him and his wife. It was later sold 50/50 to the #2 head of Facebook and also a security company owner. They plan to use it for renting out to film companies. That was when I was working in there preparing the security system for them.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Figomurphy » February 2nd, 2017, 7:34 pm

And as it happens I just got tickets for the Dublin U2 concert. It's the Joshua tree tour. That's one cool house. Very interesting.

Rewards:
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 5th, 2017, 8:21 am

I tried once. The one i was using (the plastic thingy from Zombicide) was incredibly noisy. I stopped after five minutes.

An idea would be to build it from some soft material, like leather, maybe?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » February 5th, 2017, 10:28 pm

If you like in the US Dollar store foam board, I've heard that in some countries it's really expensive though. Ikea cork mats, an old t-shirt cut to size and glued in would work (several layers of toilet paper/paper towels that have been glued together). I've been pulled away from HQ by DM Scotty but his videos provide a lot of great ideas. Check some out for ideas.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Figomurphy » September 10th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Finally finished a project. My dice tower. I used felt to stop the noise factor. Work perfectly. Very happy with the result. I don't want to use it now though, in case someone brakes it :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » September 11th, 2017, 12:00 pm

It's a beauty!
Don't let it rest in your cupboard. That would be waste after all the work.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Project Forge